Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk > Bandleading
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-06-2012, 10:52 AM   #541
eddiehimself
Call me EH, eh?

Well I tried to learn guitar at age 11 in school, but that never really worked out, because I didn't like the way it was taught in the big group and also trying to learn sheet music that I'd not had any experience with or what we were actually learning, so the guitar got put down until 2 years later in another music class, when we were persuaded to go in groups to learn some song as a "band." Well, nothing actually came of this session thing, but being in a room with a couple of friends with instruments persuaded me that I wanted to learn the guitar properly. So I got a guitar for Christmas that year (2004) and started learning. I started out with the easy stuff like Red Hot Chili Peppers and Nirvana, and took a few lessons to get me started.

The following year, me and friends decided to start a band, the problem being that there was no bass player. So in the summer, after getting my first and only "proper" guitar amp for my 14th birthday, I used some of the extra money I got from my birthday to buy my first bass. It was a 60 Jazz copy from Thomann. Really, I should have got a 5-string, but I spent the extra money on a cheap bass amp which I ended up selling anyway. So that is how I started out on bass. I also decided to stop with the guitar lessons at this point, since I decided I'd learned the basics and could do the rest myself.

I ended up getting a 5-string not long after and I was in and out of a couple of bands with friends for the following couple of years, and even ended up playing a couple of shows(!) in March of '07 on the bass. I think there is still an embarrassing video of the show I played and sang at our school hall somewhere. In September '07 I was booted out of that band even though I had helped set it up. Oh well, c'est la vie I suppose.

The starting out on drums was a different story. It was all about firstly getting the money together to buy it, and also convincing mum and dad that it was a good idea. What happened was that I ended up getting a bit of money together as a sort of combined "birthday and well done for passing your GCSEs" from my parents, which I used to buy some hardware. After getting some very cheap or free cymbals from shops and friends I decided to get lessons on that as well since I didn't actually have a full kit at home still. Then, as yet another Christmas present, I ended up with some proper drums to play on, and that was the beginning of my journey on drums.

I formed a band in summer '08 with me on drums and lead vocals and this guy I had found from an advert on guitar, and when my friend declared he was taking up bass in early '09, I recruited him for the position. We named ourselves Her Fatal Legacy We did a lot of practising, but never actually played any shows or anything, and finished with that at the end of '09. Me and the bass player friend tried it on with another band during the very end of that year and early 2010 but never really got anywhere with that. In September of that year I joined university in Manchester and auditioned for a couple of bands during the first year but never really got anywhere with any of them. Unfortunately, Manchester's music scene seems to be all indie and britpop and not really the heavier side of things that I was looking for. Not to mention they're all in places like Oldham and Wigan, rather than actually being in Manchester like they said on their advert! I am digressing now though.

This summer we got HFL back together. Sadly, it didn't last long since we were all at uni in different places but we did play one show, which was fun. So that is pretty much me up till now. I have also written and recorded a lot of music in the last 7 years and have my own solo facebook page, EddieHimself
Old 10-14-2012, 12:26 AM   #542
cooda314

I started off in England a few years ago just writing lyrics and poetry, whilst vaguely learning the keyboard. I absolutely hated the routine learning system that the teacher put down, but fortunately a friend of mine showed me this glorious program - tuxguitar (basically guitarpro).

Tuxguitar allowed me to write all the ideas I had for instruments that I don't have, and most of the time they were awful because I didn't like to learn petty things like keys or time signatures.

I kept plowing forwards pretending I was still ignorant, getting great ideas and failing to establish them. Until eventually, now owning a guitar on top of my keyboard I was able to get things working as songs. Not everything I wanted, but enough to play things and invent.

The same friend who introduced me to tuxguitar brought my attention to Ableton Live and POD farm - meaning I could actually record ideas and gently lose limitations in tux. After a while I found that my catalogue of lyrics came to nearly 200, so I was able to convert a few into rudimentary, generally experimental songs which I had the gall to release onto bandcamp as 'Gather No Moss' - barabajagal.bandcamp.com/album/gather-no-moss

A short 5 song piece, highlighting my lack of ability in the studio, my inability to sing and my not complete knowledge of keys through dischords. The general sound was Joy Division/Syd Barrett/Frank Zappas bottom end. It was listenable, but very clearly a first attempt.

After this I wrote plenty of songs, of much better quality, which ended up being completed in New Zealand and released onto bandcamp as Marmite. barabajagal.bandcamp.com/

Marmite was released with the intention of being much more me and having a lot of different genres in one album, hence being love it or hate it on a song by song basis. I can't be sure whether people love it or not, but it certainly gets listened to - being 2nd most listened to in Otago and Dunedin, and making top 20 in New Zealand on bandcamp. But perhaps it is just bandcamp - no one has heard of me :p

Either way, I've started doing live shows, but due to the fact I am just me I can't perform songs on the album as they sound, I have to simplify them and thus ruin them on guitar.

As of now, I'm playing weekly at open mic nights and am recording for another album, probably called Imaginary Menagerie, and it's shaping up to be better in my view than Marmite.

Thanks for reading this far and thank you further if you followed the links
cooda314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 12:11 AM   #543
cjb2293

When i was a young tyke, my cousin used to come down and he'd bring his guitar with and play all kinds of stuff, and i thought "Oh man, he must be the coolest man alive and get all the girls".

Picked up my grandma's old acoustic and played it religiously for 8 hours a day during a summer (I had no friends haha). Learned a lot of green day, nirvana, easier rhythm stuff as well as some picking like "Under The Bridge" - Chili Peppers

Slowly started to accumulate gear and just kept playing all through high school. Now that i'm graduating college with a degree in music industry I am still playing guitar, as well as many other instruments, and have been working on writing my own original tracks.

When summer comes around, a band i'm helping out with will be going on an east coast tour. Pretty pumped!

Endorsements/Sponsorships
Cactus Picks
Curt Mangan Strings
cjb2293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 09:37 PM   #544
KPareja93

Started playing the guitar when I was 18, was encouraged by an ex girlfriend to buy an instrument( she plays the drum) and also by Metal and rock bands like Metallica,Pink Floyd, guns n Roses etc plus I was growing tired of being a hardcore video gamer spending hours playing on a screen. After a while I taught myself how to play just by looking at tabs and I was progressing well but realized if I wanted to improve more quickly I would need a teacher, instead of playing songs all the time.

Its been a year and a half now since I started, I got a teacher and its pretty awesome and fun learning something every lesson . I'm looking for some people to play with so I can learn and it would be cool just to jam or even bigger plans. I just want to get good at playing the guitar
KPareja93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 02:54 AM   #545
chriscobonham
UG's Feminist bastard

Started "playing guitar" at like 12, never really practiced or put any time or effort into it. Started putting in an honest effort towards making music at 15, gradually started opening my mind towards actually getting better at my instrument (I used to be a really big 3 chords and the truth guy, just ask thePTOD) and now I'm actually trying to push myself to be somewhat of a player in the local music scene, as anemic as it is in my hometown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetfuel495
I ran out of chicken nuggets.

When will this misery end.
chriscobonham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 04:23 PM   #546
Remebol
Always Sleepy

I started this thread how many years ago? I NEVER would have thought that I would get this many responses still this day.

Rate This Thread: