Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-18-2014, 07:49 AM   #2321
cloud360

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lersch
That's pretty much how you start, by matching the notes, but it's useful knowing where the notes are, it's quicker. The reason I chose the 8th fret F note was because it has the same pitch as the 13th one. The one on the 10th fret/G string is one octave higher and thus it wouldn't sound like the song in question. It's the same note, but it is in a higher pitch. Also, maybe you will want to start a thread on any other questions, just to avoid derailing this thread any further

Ah i get it, now! Thanks for that! Really appreciate your help, man. I feel like i have just made another step in my progress. Oh my bad! Sorry guys! Will make a thread if i have any other questions haha
cloud360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 07:42 PM   #2322
underoath98

I'm looking for some GOOD songs using a seven or eight string guitar (Not just open string chugging) in the intermediate or advanced range. I listen to mostly metal.

Also, no Animals As Leaders; I'm already working on a few of theirs.

Thanks
Old 01-19-2014, 03:12 AM   #2323
Lersch

Quote:
Originally Posted by underoath98
I'm looking for some GOOD songs using a seven or eight string guitar (Not just open string chugging) in the intermediate or advanced range. I listen to mostly metal.

Also, no Animals As Leaders; I'm already working on a few of theirs.

Thanks

Try Born (The Retribution of Spiritual Sickness) and This Godless Endeavor - Nevermore (or any songs by them, listen to their albums and pick one - I recommend Dead Heart in a Dead World and This Godless Endeavor, both great albums) If I remember correctly in The Dance of Eternity - Dream Theater Petrucci uses a 7-string (he uses on other DT songs too) Also, I think Deftones guitarist uses a 8-string since their last album, try Gauze, Poltergeist and Leathers (though their stuff isn't hard to play)
Lersch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 11:58 AM   #2324
underoath98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lersch
Try Born (The Retribution of Spiritual Sickness) and This Godless Endeavor - Nevermore (or any songs by them, listen to their albums and pick one - I recommend Dead Heart in a Dead World and This Godless Endeavor, both great albums) If I remember correctly in The Dance of Eternity - Dream Theater Petrucci uses a 7-string (he uses on other DT songs too) Also, I think Deftones guitarist uses a 8-string since their last album, try Gauze, Poltergeist and Leathers (though their stuff isn't hard to play)

Thanks! I completely forgot about Nevermore, and Deftones is pretty good too.
Old 01-28-2014, 11:38 AM   #2325
aerosmithfan95
Call me Billy.

I rarely, if ever, post in here. I'm just looking for some transcription ideas.

I was wondering if anyone can recommend me some songs that I can practice transcribing with. My transcribing background is somewhat decent for as long as I've played. I can identify riffs/melodies/etc if I listen to them enough, and my abilities can be improved from what they currently are. A few examples of things that I transcribes include:

To Be With You by Mr Big
I Want to Know by Living Colour (Verse riff, only)
Hysteria by Def Leppard
Last Kiss by Pearl Jam
Still Into You by Paramore

As you can see, that gives a general idea of my musical tastes. I like older rock like above (GNR is a huge favorite) along with more modern rock and pop music. Some of the newer artists that I like are Green Day, Paramore, Imagine Dragons, GroupLove, Gotye, and various "top-40" artists that my sister listens to.

Thanks, everyone!

Side-note: I've started playing guitar 5 and a half years ago. My technical skills are pretty solid and I have a decently sized repertoire. I have a decent ear for music as I said and I can improvise adequately.

Guitar --> Pedals --> Amplifier
aerosmithfan95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 06:56 AM   #2326
EddYerb

Hi, been playing for 3 years now. Fairly proficient.

I do a lot of finger picking and am looking for some fairly advanced bluegrass/ country type finger picking songs. The two songs I've learned recently are Windy and Warm and Deep River Blues by Doc Watson.

I want a song that is a challenge to learn, but not impossible.

Something similar to Angie and Classical Gas in difficulty.

Thanks,

Edd
EddYerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 08:45 PM   #2327
goochlord

Ok so I have been playing for a little over 2 years, but I have just recently grown out of power chord progressions and all that jazz.

I'm looking for a good solo, not even a whole song, just a good solo to learn. Currently the only solo a can play pretty well is Oh Love by Green Day. link if you're interested

Honestly genre won't be a problem here, I'm willing to learn anything, but if it helps some bands I enjoy covering are Alkaline Trio, Green Day, Rise Against, Avenged Sevenfold, and I also know a slayer song lol. Anything that is attainable by a newbie soloist but still a challenge is what I'm looking for.

thanks
goochlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 07:21 PM   #2328
macashmack
Spongethug Moneypants

Hey all, Im applying to a conservatory to study composition. For the audition, they require 3 pieces on classical guitar ONLY (no electric guitar or anything, must be a classical piece). Copied from the website, these are what I need to play:

"Perform a memorized solo from the standard repertoire and two etudes that utilize different techniques (i.e. arpeggio, scale, rest-stroke melody). Be prepared to perform from memory any two and three octave major and melodic minor scales (Segovia edition) with rest or free stroke (i-m; m-a). NOTE: electric guitar may NOT be used for auditions."

I'm fine with the scale section but I need to figure out what pieces to play. So far I'm thinking of doing J.S. Bach's Bouree in E minor and Carcassi's Etude no. 3 op. 60 (arpeggio and rest stroke technique). I need another Etude, should I play another one of Carcassi's? Do you think these are good pieces to preform for the audition?
Old 03-08-2014, 08:16 PM   #2329
one vision
Trolling /sg/

Etudes are easy enough to find on your own. I'd get a book of them and just find something that suits your style and you're good to go.

Also, when you say standard repertoire, what does that include/exclude? I also did these auditions at several universities and colleges, I think I'd be of some help if you provided a bit more info on what pieces are available to you.

The famous classical guitar Paganini Romance got me acceptance into several schools. It sounds really good, and is kind of a benchmark of classical playing (at least among institution-applying musicians). Also very versatile in exhibiting both feeling and technique in one piece.

New composition, the shit's dope.
SoundCloud

/sg/ - Solid Guitar
one vision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 08:02 AM   #2330
slash.r0cks
Professional n00b

Hey all,
Been playing for a while now but fairly new to open tunings. Been playing a lot of Alter Bridge for the Open D5 stuff Tremonti writes (i.e. Fortress, Open Your Eyes, Ghost of Days Gone By, etc.)
Can anyone suggest anything else in this tuning? Even if it's a step up or down here or there like open B5, C5, etc. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by whalepudding
If it was "Need to catch my dog pooing under my piano..." it would be thread of the decade.
slash.r0cks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 06:17 AM   #2331
Sickz
Jazz Musician

Good day all!

I am just asking for recommendations on players that use more of a lead approach to chord and rhythm playing, since i need to dive into that style abit more myself and i have recently got a new student that wants to approach that style more.

I am speaking of playing in the style of Jimi Hendrix "Little Wing", Andy Timmons "Electric Gypsy", Eric Johnson "SRV" and "Manhattan", Richie Kotzen "Rust" "Ready" and "The Bitter End". What are some other players that use this style of comping a lot?

Thanks in advance!
Best Regards,
Sickz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guthrie Govan
“If you steal from one person it's theft, and if you steal from lots of people it's research”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chick Corea
"Only play what you hear. If you don't hear anything, don't play anything."
Sickz is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: