Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-30-2013, 01:31 AM   #41
JAHellraiser

good and cheap is one hell of an oxymoron

but definitely go for a combo instead. I know that my Renegade is more than enough for me. Shit, I have it at half volume on the 18 watt option and that's more than enough to get everyone in the house yelling at me
JAHellraiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 01:41 AM   #42
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAHellraiser
good and cheap is one hell of an oxymoron

but definitely go for a combo instead. I know that my Renegade is more than enough for me. Shit, I have it at half volume on the 18 watt option and that's more than enough to get everyone in the house yelling at me

exactly what i was thinking when i posted first. i omitted it for some reason.

i did get my valveking head with a line6 cab for $350 five or six years ago. not great, but i promise you would get heard. EQ'd properly (meaning 10 band MXR in the loop) its not a bad sounding amp.

also you can find a crate blue voodoo head and a shitty cab for that amount. they sound good modded, i have all the parts to mod mine (IIRC $220 or $250 for the head) just haven't had the time. R45VT would be the person to talk to. he loves the ones he has modded. if you haven't found anything pm me in the next week or two and i will tell you how it sounds compared to stock.

Gibsons
USA Teles
Ibanez Prestiges
Wolfgangs

amps. lots.

5F1 parts on the way
finding a AVRI Strat
looking for an attenuator.
trashedlostfdup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 07:50 PM   #43
ch1ng_chung

Quote:
Originally Posted by dementiacaptain
Cut the Bullshit broski, there is probably a handful of guitarists on the planet that haven't played one, but I ain't one of them.

I know you know that it is shitty, and you try to pawn it off on someone who doesn't know better? Pitiful.

You can drop your integrity off on your way out, later.

Funny thing, because I just got a sweet deal selling it on craigslist for 400
ch1ng_chung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:27 AM   #44
Volcz
The Vox Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by ch1ng_chung
You should really try it out, it's a great amp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eppicurt
Quote:
Originally Posted by NakedInTheRain
hey, be nice to the hipster.
I hear they use false bypass switches.

It's, like, so ironic.
Volcz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:37 PM   #45
Viban
UG's resident bum

Quote:

Then you should be ashamed of yourself.
Viban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 03:41 PM   #46
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

Quote:

looks like we have a badass on the forums.

Gibsons
USA Teles
Ibanez Prestiges
Wolfgangs

amps. lots.

5F1 parts on the way
finding a AVRI Strat
looking for an attenuator.
trashedlostfdup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 03:58 PM   #47
Arby911
Finding the Pattern

ok.....

Yes, a 4x12 IS louder than a 1x12 or a 2x12, assuming the same power input and speaker sensitivity.

Tube watts and SS watts are EXACTLY the same, and are measured the same way.

Doubling the amp wattage increases the 'loud' by 3db, just like doubling the speakers.

3db ain't much.

The TS needs a Vypyr tube.

ch1ng_chung needs to be banned for epic asshattery (and in any case I strongly urge that NO ONE ever respond to his threads again, as he's shown he has no decency.)

That is all...
Old 01-31-2013, 05:58 PM   #48
AtaBorMan
UG's reclusive wanker

can we fill this with cats now?
Shooting your friends with a real gun is a definite faux pas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystical_1
Professor Plum in the Studio with a new Amp

Quote:
Originally Posted by snipelfritz
If only I were the only one at home right now. I don't need my parents asking who Mr. Wiggles is.
AtaBorMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 07:04 PM   #49
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arby911
ok.....

Yes, a 4x12 IS louder than a 1x12 or a 2x12, assuming the same power input and speaker sensitivity.

Tube watts and SS watts are EXACTLY the same, and are measured the same way.

Doubling the amp wattage increases the 'loud' by 3db, just like doubling the speakers.

3db ain't much.

The TS needs a Vypyr tube.

ch1ng_chung needs to be banned for epic asshattery (and in any case I strongly urge that NO ONE ever respond to his threads again, as he's shown he has no decency.)

That is all...

Man, they don't measure them at all. The power rating is the theoretical maximum power produced before clipping. With a SS amp you can't run them into clipping without sounding shit. A tube amp will run a long way into clipping.
So at the same rating a tube amp can be run much harder. A 50W tube amp pushed into clipping will produce somewhere up near 80W. A 50W SS amp run harder than 50W is not musical, 50W is all you've got. Plus heaps of SS amp ratings are just bullshit anyway.
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
Cathbard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 06:22 PM   #50
Arby911
Finding the Pattern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
Man, they don't measure them at all. The power rating is the theoretical maximum power produced before clipping. With a SS amp you can't run them into clipping without sounding shit. A tube amp will run a long way into clipping.
So at the same rating a tube amp can be run much harder. A 50W tube amp pushed into clipping will produce somewhere up near 80W. A 50W SS amp run harder than 50W is not musical, 50W is all you've got. Plus heaps of SS amp ratings are just bullshit anyway.

What there is contrary to what I said? Are we being pedantic about "measured"? Feel free to substitute "calculated" if it pleases you...the end result is the same. Yes, a tube amp can be pushed harder and put out more wattage than its specs say, but it's pretty much immaterial to the overall loudness.

80w ain't much louder than 50....
Old 02-02-2013, 11:42 PM   #51
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arby911
What there is contrary to what I said? Are we being pedantic about "measured"? Feel free to substitute "calculated" if it pleases you...the end result is the same. Yes, a tube amp can be pushed harder and put out more wattage than its specs say, but it's pretty much immaterial to the overall loudness.

80w ain't much louder than 50....
Correcting you for the benefit of others really. Calculated and measured are two very different things.
Tube amps tend to be underrated and SS amps tend to be overrated was the main point really, especially in real world situations (ie uesable application).
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification

Last edited by Cathbard : 02-02-2013 at 11:44 PM.
Cathbard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 02:23 PM   #52
danvwman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
Correcting you for the benefit of others really. Calculated and measured are two very different things.
Tube amps tend to be underrated and SS amps tend to be overrated was the main point really, especially in real world situations (ie uesable application).

Totally agree with Cath on this. For example I know for a fact my 40 watt 65' Bandmaster(full tube) is as loud or louder than my 150watt Marshall AVT played thru the same 2x12.

The unfortunate thing about going to a 4x12 is once you play thru it for a while anything smaller wont do it for you, you tend to get used to your balls shaking.

And I feel they are not very good sounding at lower volumes or maybe heads are not really designed to play at lower volumes/power and sound crappy. I am currently looking to go for a 1x12 4ohm in the 100 watt range to bring to smaller rooms.

And yes MG series sucks.....the distortion circuit primarily. I got a lead 15 mini stack cause it was cute.....put vintage celestion 10s in it... sounds better but still sounds like caca.

It does however sound really good clean with my Digitech rp6 in front of it.

Last edited by danvwman : 02-03-2013 at 02:25 PM.
danvwman is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: