Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 04-20-2013, 11:41 AM   #1
Itscoolbro

First Electric Guitar Setup

Hey guys, I'm going to get an electric guitar and was wondering what a good first setup would be?

I've currently got a budget of about $400-$500 to spend.

I'm looking at the Epiphone SG 400 Cherry as my guitar, and maybe a fender amp? This one in particular Here

What else am I missing?
Itscoolbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 01:21 PM   #2
miio

Could you answer at least a couple of these questions: http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1497696 and we'll be able to help you out more. As for guitar, that G400 is pretty decent for everything, it's good bang for the bucks, but you might want to check out other alternatives aswell. Squier's Classic Vibe series is good choice aswell but it might be out of your price range, for that reason you could look for used guitars. Used guitars are pretty much always better choice than new.
miio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 02:22 PM   #3
Prophecy69

Go used. You will get a much better deal
Prophecy69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 05:59 PM   #4
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

i'm not sure it's wise going used on your first guitar as you won't be able to examine it properly to check it's ok.

i'd avoid the frontman. probably get a modelling amp instead.

er....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc8995
Rob Chappers would tell you he couldn't tell a cat from a dog if it would get him more hits on youtube.
Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 11:40 AM   #5
Kyle Sousa

I think an Epiphone would be a great choice for a first guitar. My first was an Epiphone Les Paul and it was really nice to learn on. As far as the amp, I always have loved the Peavey Vypyr 15w Modeling Amp. It has many different modules from a Peavey 6505+ to a Fender Twin. And for the money you can't go wrong.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Peavey-...851-i1413605.gc
Kyle Sousa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 02:56 AM   #6
Andrew Tintle

I started about 12 years ago with this package:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guit...t-value-package

They had a slightly different model guitar at the time, but it actually looks like they have a better guitar included now. For the price I feel this is a great place to start. In fact, I actually still have mine - I upgraded the pickups and the hardware a few years ago and it sounds great. These guitars are really well made for the price and you also get a really decent practice amp. In my opinion this package can't be beat. You could use the money you saved to get some new pickups if you want to soup it up like I did. Good luck and have fun!
Andrew Tintle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 03:04 AM   #7
Offworld92
One among the fence.

A used guitar is more likely to be set up well than a new one. Though I totally understand apprehension or unwillingness to buy a used guitar. My first 4 guitars were new. Though that was more to do with inexperience and ignorance, I think.

TS, where are you located?

I wouldn't recommend that amp. Look at the Peavey Vypyr 30 or the Fender Mustang II instead. They're much better choices that will last you much longer (possibly a keeper forever, as they have a 12" speaker).

A lot of people like G400s. I've never played a good one, the one I owned was horrible, so I won't ever recommend one, but I do respect how many other people recommend them. So I'll settle on try before you buy.

I'd be more inclined to recommend an Agile AL-2000, they look great, they're built well, and have a very high value for money ratio IMO.

As for all the other little stuff, like picks and strings, buy multiple brands (you'll probably want size 10s to start out with). There is no quantifiable answer when it comes to that, you really have to go through them meticulously until you find ones that work for you.

For cables, I use and recommend Live Wires. They're very reasonably priced, and they are pretty durable. They also have a lifetime guarantee - if they ever break, just take them to GC and they'll give you a brand new one, no questions.

EDIT: I just realized that the Fender Mustangs don't get a 3 band EQ until the III. That's no good. In that case TS, if you want to go the Fender route, I'd say look for a used Mustang III.

Epiphone Firebird VII
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Peavey USA Predator
Ibanez RG520QS
Line 6 Pod HD
VHT Special 6 Ultra
Pedulz

Last edited by Offworld92 : 04-22-2013 at 03:08 AM.
Offworld92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 02:18 PM   #8
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offworld92
A used guitar is more likely to be set up well than a new one.

i dunno about that, it just depends on who owned it really.

er....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc8995
Rob Chappers would tell you he couldn't tell a cat from a dog if it would get him more hits on youtube.
Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: