Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk
User Name  

Old 11-03-2012, 04:42 PM   #1
Tab Contributor
Tmusician's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2009
What is it called when the root note of the song is changed for a section?

I have always wondered if there was a term for this. Say a song is in Eb Minor and then throughout the whole song, the root is Eb, except for the bridge where they start and end on Ab instead ("changing the root").

It happens in tons of songs, but the example I was just talking about can be heard here: Rise Against - Prayer of the Refugee (At 1:45 they start using Ab as the root)
Tmusician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 05:08 PM   #2
UG Resident
jazz_rock_feel's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2006
You mean the tonic, not the root. The root is the note a chord is built on, the tonic is the note the piece centers around. In any case, it's called modulation.
I don't know what music theory is.

Soundcloud. Look at it. Or don't.
jazz_rock_feel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 05:12 PM   #3
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Sydney, Australia
or a key change
Robfreitag is offline   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:26 PM.

Forum Archives / About / TOS / Advertise with us / Customer Support / Ultimate-Guitar.Com © 2016
Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.