User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-07-2013, 04:55 PM   #21
Ziphoblat
Hazardous

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddhm
Goodness, Aria must really be struggling. That price is just stupid. Jeez, the body is alder for goodness sake. It appears to be about a $300 bass to me. They can keep it.

And what's wrong with alder? Look at the Musicman Bongo, that's made of basswood. Alder is a high end wood if you get a good cut of it.
Old 02-07-2013, 05:32 PM   #22
Spanner93
Comrade Spanner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziphoblat
And what's wrong with alder? Look at the Musicman Bongo, that's made of basswood. Alder is a high end wood if you get a good cut of it.

There's nothing wrong with alder. But for that price, I want a bass made of solid diamond with a plutonium headstock and the electronics should contain parts of the pope's ipad.

Actually, no plutonium headstock, it'd neck dive terribly....
Spanner93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:08 PM   #23
ddhm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziphoblat

Alder is not a high end wood (imho). It is one of the least expensive acceptable body woods. Go have a look at Gilmerwood.com for one example. Alder is the cheapest body blank across the board. It's not because they don't have nice wood there either.
If you were to find a cut of alder that had been sunken in a lake for 10000 years, yes. A regular cut, not so much.
Also, since you threw it out there: The Bongos sound (and look) terrible to me. They even feel cheap. Again, that's my opinion. You might like one and might make one sing. Cool! Not my cup 'o tea.
I feel that the price that Aria is asking is silly. I would NEVER pay that for that instrument. Heck, you could get really nice Spector Euro for that price... or a used Alembic. Something hand made, with really nice woods and electronics and still have enough left over for dinner I'd bet.
ddhm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:11 PM   #24
ddhm

I like the ostrich case though lol. That probably cost more than the body wood.
Old 02-07-2013, 08:13 PM   #25
Tostitos
Barely Awake

Quote:
you could get really nice Spector Euro for that price... or a used Alembic. Something hand made, with really nice woods and electronics and still have enough left over for dinner I'd bet.

I know this is completely missing the point, but you do realize all the current Spector Euro models utilize alder in some capacity or another right?

Spector and Markbass

DeviantART
Crevado

Last edited by Tostitos : 02-07-2013 at 08:14 PM.
Tostitos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 10:20 AM   #26
ddhm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tostitos
I know this is completely missing the point, but you do realize all the current Spector Euro models utilize alder in some capacity or another right?

Perhaps the new ones do... I've not looked into it. Mine does not. As you can imagine, since I already have one, I'm not really looking at the specs of the new ones.

OK, how about this: everyone go buy one now. I, however will not. I feel that they are grossly overpriced.
Old 02-08-2013, 10:29 AM   #27
Ziphoblat
Hazardous

Quote:
Alder is not a high end wood (imho). It is one of the least expensive acceptable body woods. Go have a look at Gilmerwood.com for one example. Alder is the cheapest body blank across the board. It's not because they don't have nice wood there either.

Sorry, but the most expensive basses/guitars you can buy use alder bodies. It is not a "cheap" wood, because it is used in some of the most sought after tones out there.
Old 02-08-2013, 10:41 PM   #28
watchingmefall
Government is hell

Jesus, and let's not forget that the cut and quality of the Alder in a MIM Fender differs vastly from the one in Spector. There's good and bad of everything.
Ganimedes
Santa Cecilia
watchingmefall is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: