Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 03-13-2013, 08:09 PM   #1
george1345

Harder to alternate pick on high strings than on low strings?

I find it very easy to alternate pick relatively fast on pretty much E-G strings but B and E I find much more error-prone and inconsistent.

I can't see that the string texture has a tonne to do with this, perhaps it's just a technique problem? I just read that it could be to do with resting the picking hand on strings which becomes problematic at higher strings.

Any suggestions on what the problem might be are much obliged.
george1345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 08:34 PM   #2
cdgraves

Well, any physical difficulty is a technique problem. Most likely your hand is stiff and you should aim to loosen your grip so it's firm, but lets the pick move naturally against the strings. Over-exerting your picking hand might not make as big a difference on the lower strings, but it will cause slop on the higher ones.

And yes, you should practice alt picking without muting - they are separate techniques. The more freely your hand can float the more relaxed and accurately you'll play.
cdgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 09:22 PM   #3
Geldin

Actually, it is a bit harder to pick on the higher strings. There's more tension on the higher strings relative to their mass and surface area, so it take more effect to pick each string.

I can tell you from experience that resting your hand on the strings is not a bad thing - it gives you better muting on the lower strings and it gives you somewhere to rest your hand so that your wrist can relax a little more easily. There's no limit on your speed, either. I rest my hand on the strings and can hit 13-14 notes per second if I've warmed up properly.

The album is streaming here
Geldin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 10:08 PM   #4
dimesqeals
always a newbie

Haha! Here's my problem: I'm not comfortable with alternate picking on the low strings when standing. Not on all frets but just the 12th and up. But when sitting down, it seems that I get comfortable with all strings high or low and on all the frets.

I guess that has to do with how I hold the guitar or maybe the strap height?? Gigs are played standing up not sitting down. I adjust my guitar strap very low. Maybe that's the problem?

We play mostly Pantera LOG songs.
dimesqeals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 02:04 AM   #5
vayne92
UG's Fedora Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimesqeals
I guess that has to do with how I hold the guitar or maybe the strap height?? Gigs are played standing up not sitting down. I adjust my guitar strap very low. Maybe that's the problem?

You play with your strap very low. That 100% affects your playing ability.
Your guitar should be in the position it is when you're sitting with your strap. This is one debate i constantly get frustrated by. Most people play low because it "looks cool", fact is if you sound bad it's not cool either way. Not to mention it doesn't look cooler anyways. I've tried playing low and it's awful, i also found it restricts my movement. Every time i walked around my legs were kicking my guitar around and it pissed me off.
American Standard Tele 2012
Yamaha APX450
~~~
Line 6 POD HD500
Orange Dark terror
Orange PPC112

Last edited by vayne92 : 03-14-2013 at 02:10 AM.
vayne92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 02:39 AM   #6
Dreamdancer11

Quote:
Originally Posted by george1345
I find it very easy to alternate pick relatively fast on pretty much E-G strings but B and E I find much more error-prone and inconsistent.

I can't see that the string texture has a tonne to do with this, perhaps it's just a technique problem? I just read that it could be to do with resting the picking hand on strings which becomes problematic at higher strings.

Any suggestions on what the problem might be are much obliged.

On the lower strings your pick hand meets the strings at a certain(small)angle.As you go towards the floor the angle gets bigger and your reach and aim suffers.You have to maintain the same angle throughout for your picking hand to be consistent and you can do that by simply dragging your picking hand just one or two clicks down so that it meets the strings at the same angle as it does the lower ones .

Last edited by Dreamdancer11 : 03-14-2013 at 02:40 AM.
Dreamdancer11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 09:30 AM   #7
robertwilliam9

Nice to know I'm not the only one who has this problem. I've always thought that the higher strings were more problematic when it comes to alternate picking. I can also vouch that bringing the guitar up a little higher (adjust the strap) can help with this problem.

Though I think the bigger strings just respond better to certain movements. It just takes time work past that and get the higher strings to get in line as well.
Dunlop Picks and Elixir Strings .48

WEBSITE
guitarchalk.com
robertwilliam9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 08:27 PM   #8
dimesqeals
always a newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vayne92
You play with your strap very low. That 100% affects your playing ability.
Your guitar should be in the position it is when you're sitting with your strap. This is one debate i constantly get frustrated by. Most people play low because it "looks cool", fact is if you sound bad it's not cool either way. Not to mention it doesn't look cooler anyways. I've tried playing low and it's awful, i also found it restricts my movement. Every time i walked around my legs were kicking my guitar around and it pissed me off.

Oh I can still play even with strap adjusted very low. But uncomfortable, meaning my wrist aches after playing! hahaha. But there are times it hurts while I play. I tend to lean down to the left just to reach the low strings. Especially during solos. I needed the guitar low so that I won't hit the mic stand. I sometimes back the vocals. But you're right, I've managed to find the right position where I don't hit the mic stand and not get uncomfortable playing. Don't want to ruin my playing in the future with these wrist pains. Might get worse you know.

Last edited by dimesqeals : 03-19-2013 at 08:28 PM.
dimesqeals is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: