Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-07-2012, 10:08 AM   #21
GaryBillington
Grumpier than normal.

First thing: You're supposed to edit your post, not keep bumping the thread with a new one.

In those three posts, you're asking three completely different questions, which just makes me think you need to do a lot more general research into what effects are and how to use them. There are probably lots of articles on UG about it, but google found this one first: http://www.harmonycentral.com/docs/DOC-1351

To provide a basic answer to your questions:

1 - Yes, tremelo usually would come towards the end of an effects chain. If you're currently using your amp's distortion, does it have an effects loop built in? If it does, put the tremelo there rather than inbetween your guitar & amp. If you don't have an effects loop, you'll either have to live with it being before the distortion or get a separate distortion pedal.

2 - Joyo make some good pedals that are highly regarded and cheaply priced. Definitely better than behringer.

3 - Yes, a lot of compressors have a sustain controller so if sustain is what you're after that could be the way to go. However, a compressor is not a distortion pedal so if distortion is what you're after, a compressor is not the answer.
Laney VC30 210 + GS112VE cab
Jet City JCA22H
GaryBillington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 10:19 AM   #22
RJH11
Tone chaser

MXR Fulbore Metal gets my vote though i just sold it and went all tube i used it for years to
get various metal tones.
RJH11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 12:35 PM   #23
desmond27

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven seagull
None of these are gong to provide a solution to the problem you have when you're usuing a Microcube.

I have a Microcube, and it's a fantastic little practice amp, more so when I compare it to some of the pieces of crap I used when I was first learning. I love it, I think it's the dogs bollocks for what it is but I'm also conscious of it's limitations, but I accept them because of the things it DOES do.

What it isn't is a full-blown gigging/recording amp. It's designed to be a complete little all-in-one package, it's got a tiny speaker which is optimised for working with the inbuilt models - it's not going to respond well if you start sticking pedals through it or trying to run too much gain through it, and you certainly can't "boost" it.

The one pedal you can buy which might help is an EQ, as the onboard EQ on the Microcube is admittedly non-existent.

Very well, but how do I resolve my issue with the Tremolo pedal? I want to play Boulevard by Green Day and I want to be able to switch the intro tremolo on or off. Will it suffice if I connect the guitar directly to the tremolo pedal and then the amp or do I need something between the guitar and the tremolo pedal?
Old 11-07-2012, 12:46 PM   #24
desmond27

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryBillington
First thing: You're supposed to edit your post, not keep bumping the thread with a new one.

In those three posts, you're asking three completely different questions, which just makes me think you need to do a lot more general research into what effects are and how to use them. There are probably lots of articles on UG about it, but google found this one first: http://www.harmonycentral.com/docs/DOC-1351

To provide a basic answer to your questions:

1 - Yes, tremelo usually would come towards the end of an effects chain. If you're currently using your amp's distortion, does it have an effects loop built in? If it does, put the tremelo there rather than inbetween your guitar & amp. If you don't have an effects loop, you'll either have to live with it being before the distortion or get a separate distortion pedal.

2 - Joyo make some good pedals that are highly regarded and cheaply priced. Definitely better than behringer.

3 - Yes, a lot of compressors have a sustain controller so if sustain is what you're after that could be the way to go. However, a compressor is not a distortion pedal so if distortion is what you're after, a compressor is not the answer.

Sorry for the multi post. I am used to those forums which merge quick replies. This one does not have that feature so will take some getting used to.

One of my previous posts in this thread describes my amp or you can look here : http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/revi...cube/index.html

Now, there is no effects loop AFAIK. There is one input socket, one aux input and a headphones/output socket. I also happen to own a pluggable micro amp for sometime, can I use it to drive the tremolo before connecting it to the amp (Roland)?

Like I mentioned in my previous post, I want to do a Boulevard and want to be able to switch on or off the tremolo effect as required.
Old 11-07-2012, 01:15 PM   #25
GaryBillington
Grumpier than normal.

Then as you don't have an effects loop, you'll just have to put your tremelo pedal between the guitar and amp - that means you probably won't get the full effect of it though, as any tremelo it adds to the signal will then be re-processed by the amp.
Laney VC30 210 + GS112VE cab
Jet City JCA22H
GaryBillington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 05:31 PM   #26
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by desmond27
Very well, but how do I resolve my issue with the Tremolo pedal? I want to play Boulevard by Green Day and I want to be able to switch the intro tremolo on or off. Will it suffice if I connect the guitar directly to the tremolo pedal and then the amp or do I need something between the guitar and the tremolo pedal?

no that'll be fine. guitar -> tremolo pedal -> amp should be fine.

Dave_Mc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:09 PM   #27
desmond27

I've tried out the Guitar > Tremolo > Amp layout and I've noticed that if I use delay on the amp, it gets applied to each "chop" of the tremoloed signal. It does not sound very pleasant (not very noticeable, but not very pleasant either).

I've been thinking something. Since my amp has an aux input as well, what if I put connect the input of the tremolo pedal with the headphone/output and the output of the tremolo to the aux in and the guitar to the regular input? Would it work? I cannot try it yet since I do not have any extra cables.
Old 11-12-2012, 07:58 PM   #28
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

i'm not sure if that'd work or not, but i doubt it.

and yeah that's the problem when you have a whole bunch of internal fx and one external- you can't play about with the orders. if you had a tremolo and delay pedal, for example, you could swap the order to avoid that happening. though whether you'd actually want to use tremolo alongside delay, i dunno- thinking about it logically, you're either going to have delayed tremolo, or tremoloed delay. Both of which are liable to sound kinda weird. reverb + tremolo might be a better idea.

Old 11-13-2012, 12:01 AM   #29
desmond27

Well, I am not talking about a discrete delay pedal, but the delay on the amp itself.

PS: I should probably start a new thread :P

Last edited by desmond27 : 11-13-2012 at 12:03 AM.
desmond27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 05:28 PM   #30
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

yeah i know, i was just thinking out loud

have you tried reverb on the amp with your tremolo pedal?

Old 11-14-2012, 02:14 PM   #31
timmymaines

ds-1 i own and its not bad but not great for metal... check out the boss metal zone..
timmymaines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 05:09 AM   #32
desmond27

I've heard that the Metal Zone has a little too much gain (or was it the Digitech DeathMetal, I don't remember).

Besides, the Metal Zone costs $124 (Dollar equivalent of Rupees) here, I cannot afford that much yet.

Rate This Thread: