Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Gear Building & Customizing
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-10-2013, 08:25 PM   #1
aneuch2

Help with wiring '72 Tele Custom Reissue with SD Hot Rail at bridge?

Hello all,

I'm pretty much a novice at electronics, but I am at least able to look at a wiring diagram and solder components properly.

A few years back I bought a Tele '72 Custom Reissue. After playing it in the store, I decided to purchase a Seymour Duncan Hot Rails pickup for the bridge and have them install it. Long story short, there was an awful hum/buzz and I had to take it back 2 more times. It seems that they never fixed the problem.

For those not familiar with that guitar, there is:
-A 3 way switch
-Single Pickup at bridge
-Humbucker at neck
- 2 volume pots
- 2 tone pots

I have not been able to find proper wiring diagrams for this pickup with this setup.

This is the best wiring diagram I could find:
http:// www .seymourduncan. com/support/wiring-diagrams/schematics.php?schematic=2h_2v_2t_3w
(please remove spaces...the full url is showing as 'forbidden link'...i'm not sure why)

This is not specific to my guitar, and it doesn't even have a single (hot rail) as the bridge pickup.

My question is....should this diagram work?

I checked all of the wiring from the bridge pickup. The red and white are taped, as in in the picture, and the bare wire is going to the top left pot. However, the green and black wires are switched. Could the solution be as simple as switching the green and black wires on the top left pot? Is there a different wiring diagram I should be using?

Thanks for any help you may be able to provide. Let me know if you have any questions. Thanks.

Last edited by aneuch2 : 02-10-2013 at 08:39 PM.
aneuch2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:43 PM   #2
aneuch2

Also, there is not a separate ground wire coming from the bridge. There is only the bare wire from the pickup. I checked it with a multimeter, and the bridge itself appears to be grounded.
Old 02-10-2013, 09:25 PM   #3
dkunick
Waco

The green and bare wires should be soldered together to the pot, black is hot and goes to your switch.
Carvin DC-135
Washburn G-5V
Taylor 214CEG

EVH 5150 III
Peavey 6505+
Line 6 Flextone III
50s Valco Supro
dkunick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 09:34 PM   #4
aneuch2

Thank you very much. I'll try that tomorrow and post results.
Old 02-11-2013, 09:32 AM   #5
aneuch2

Okay, so I switched the black and green wires. That seems to have cut down on the hum a good bit (maybe by 50%?).

The hum still dies down if I touch the neck pickup or the output jack....but there is no effect if I touch the bridge. I'm guessing that there are further grounding issues?
Old 02-11-2013, 08:18 PM   #6
dkunick
Waco

Could be, review all the wiring against the schematic to be sure. With the bridge pup only on touching the neck pup shouldn't do anything.
Carvin DC-135
Washburn G-5V
Taylor 214CEG

EVH 5150 III
Peavey 6505+
Line 6 Flextone III
50s Valco Supro
dkunick is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: