Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Bands & Artists > Metal
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 09-17-2014, 02:33 PM   #19341
severed-metal
Kvlt of Fvkk

I don't know what that is. But is it as good as Jack Nance?
Your gratitude shown in my death
severed-metal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 02:43 PM   #19342
VampireGoldfish
Suddenly...

I love you, Severed. Jack Nance was an absolute joy.
Iím not ashamed to be white
Vi doede ikke... vi har aldri levd
Barbarism is the natural state of mankind
Civilization is unnatural
It is a whim of circumstance
an unenlightened one

Last edited by VampireGoldfish : 09-17-2014 at 03:17 PM.
VampireGoldfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 03:29 PM   #19343
ctfod
Your move, creep

Quote:
Originally Posted by severed-metal
Just finished watching, "I Don't Know Jack." What a great documentary, and very sad too. I wish there would have been more anecdotes about Jack Nance rather than stories about the Doo Dah Gang, but the documentary really picked up about halfway through, and I loved that Catherine Coulson and David Lynch had stories. Didn't piece together that the Log Lady and Pete Martell were together in a different universe either.

I get why he says "Caaaaaatherine" through all of Twin Peaks too, aside from Catherine being his wife. What a delightful yet sorrowful human being he was.

In fairness, he says everything like that. "Yooouuuur entiiiiiire country... is aboooooove the timberline?"

Speaking of Twin Peaks, the extended cut of FWWM that someone kindly put together just finished downloading. It's a bit of a shame that Lynch didn't assemble it all into one 5 hour cut, because some of the deleted scenes were wonderful, despite not really adding much to the film.

Also, something that always bugs me... after the opening credits, there's the axe through the TV and (I assume) Teresa Banks screaming. I'm certain it's been sampled somewhere. Any help?

he's got the fire and the fury,
at his command
well you don't have to worry,
if you hold onto jesus' hand

Last edited by ctfod : 09-17-2014 at 03:40 PM.
ctfod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 05:15 PM   #19344
severed-metal
Kvlt of Fvkk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctfod
In fairness, he says everything like that. "Yooouuuur entiiiiiire country... is aboooooove the timberline?"

Speaking of Twin Peaks, the extended cut of FWWM that someone kindly put together just finished downloading. It's a bit of a shame that Lynch didn't assemble it all into one 5 hour cut, because some of the deleted scenes were wonderful, despite not really adding much to the film.

Also, something that always bugs me... after the opening credits, there's the axe through the TV and (I assume) Teresa Banks screaming. I'm certain it's been sampled somewhere. Any help?

Another great part was in the interviews where they blatantly exposed how slow he spoke and his pauses. Every sentence felt like he was contemplating the world.

I haven't really watched Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me so I probably can't help you. I'll download and get back to you if I can figure it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VampireGoldfish
I love you, Severed. Jack Nance was an absolute joy.

Indeed he was. There's a bit near the end of the documentary showing a scene from Ticks & Bruises, where it is one of the most soul crushing things I have ever witnessed. As well as another scene within Meatballs 4 where his acting counterparts were more-so eighths of his talent. Considering the circumstances behind the scenes, it just feels all the more realistic. Although the subject matter didn't necessarily communicate across, the emotion certainly did.

I really do like Jack Nance. I had Eraserhead in my top favourite movies for a long time, partly due to Lynch, and partly due to Nance. I'll never understand that film for the life of me.
Old 09-17-2014, 05:28 PM   #19345
ctfod
Your move, creep

Fire Walk With Me is like a cliff notes version of the series. It's far from bad, but it is unnecessary. Though I don't think Jack Nance and his crazy eyes are in it

at his command
Old 09-19-2014, 08:28 PM   #19346
NotFromANUS
Naturalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by severed-metal
I had Eraserhead in my top favourite movies for a long time, partly due to Lynch, and partly due to Nance. I'll never understand that film for the life of me.

Apparently Lynch didn't even understand the film, until one day he was reading the bible and came across a passage that caused him to have some kind of revelation with respect to the story. He refuses to tell people what the passage was or elaborate on the meaning of this or any other of his films.

My take is that pretty much all of his films are mood based. The atmosphere of the film speaks to a kind of desperation and suffocating loneliness that man faces in modern, industrial times. Reminds me of Streetcleaner in a way.
NotFromANUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:54 AM   #19347
kirkisking
I'm always drunk

so much hatred in this forum
Old Yesterday, 01:26 AM   #19348
VampireGoldfish
Suddenly...

Quote:
Fire Walk With Me is like a cliff notes version of the series. It's far from bad, but it is unnecessary.

There is not enough room for my disagreement on this planet. I don't know where to begin, so I won't. Every other year or so I revisit the series, reread Laura's Secret Diary and watch FWWM. FWWM, as the Twin Peaks Universe stands, is the most appropriate ending/beginning to the ouroboros that is Twin Peaks. The diary obviously can't be the ending and Twin Peaks has an ending that gets me every time and is appropriately cyclical but the striking image of Laura and her Angel serve as the ending available for a viewer.

Of course that is one minor reason why I love FWWM and with the recent deleted scenes, FWWM only grows in relevance. You know how long the TP community attempted to unearth the secrets from these scenes? It was described as the Holy Grail for a reason.

Worship FWWM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotFromANUS
Apparently Lynch didn't even understand the film, until one day he was reading the bible and came across a passage that caused him to have some kind of revelation with respect to the story. He refuses to tell people what the passage was or elaborate on the meaning of this or any other of his films.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Lynch
I don't do themes, Sammy
an unenlightened one
Old Yesterday, 06:48 AM   #19349
ctfod
Your move, creep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VampireGoldfish
There is not enough room for my disagreement on this planet. I don't know where to begin, so I won't. Every other year or so I revisit the series, reread Laura's Secret Diary and watch FWWM. FWWM, as the Twin Peaks Universe stands, is the most appropriate ending/beginning to the ouroboros that is Twin Peaks. The diary obviously can't be the ending and Twin Peaks has an ending that gets me every time and is appropriately cyclical but the striking image of Laura and her Angel serve as the ending available for a viewer.

Of course that is one minor reason why I love FWWM and with the recent deleted scenes, FWWM only grows in relevance. You know how long the TP community attempted to unearth the secrets from these scenes? It was described as the Holy Grail for a reason.

Worship FWWM.

Okay yeah, I see what you mean. But as it stands, you watch god knows how many hours of the show unraveling the mystery to have it summarised in 2 hours. That said, it is one of my favourite Lynch films.

at his command
Old Yesterday, 03:49 PM   #19350
VampireGoldfish
Suddenly...

Quote:
Okay yeah, I see what you mean. But as it stands, you watch god knows how many hours of the show unraveling the mystery to have it summarised in 2 hours. That said, it is one of my favourite Lynch films.

While multiple viewings of FWWM may "kill" the ghost of Laura Palmer for some, they are easily separable when viewing the movie vs the series. Have you ever read the diary? Incredible companion read to all things Twin Peaks.

The next two movies were to tackle so many subjects I would have loved to see on screen. Buenos Aires; Electricity; Chet Desmond; BOB Cooper; AND THE ****ING NURSE WITH THE RING HOLY SHIT I SAW THAT ON SCREEN FUKK ALSO WHY IS ANNIE WEARING CAROLINES DRESS?

Also we were going to see Audrey tackle the obstacle that is BOB Cooper. So much greatness now left to the imagination of daydreams neath sycamore trees.
an unenlightened one
Old Yesterday, 07:30 PM   #19351
ctfod
Your move, creep

I haven't read the diary, I need to get around to it. I love FWWM as a standalone film, but as a companion to the series I think it would have worked better as a series of vignettes. The Teresa Banks opening, Cooper being host to BOB, teleporting David Bowie, maybe young Leland meeting BOB. All centred around the Black Lodge without being too overt.

at his command
Old Yesterday, 07:55 PM   #19352
severed-metal
Kvlt of Fvkk

Quote:
I think it would have worked better as a series of vignettes.

What are you gay or sumtin?
Old Yesterday, 08:40 PM   #19353
ctfod
Your move, creep

u fkn wot m8 u wona fite ill do u i swear on me mum

at his command

Last edited by ctfod : Yesterday at 08:41 PM.
Old Yesterday, 08:48 PM   #19354
severed-metal
Kvlt of Fvkk

EXPOSED:

Quote:
Touch me in the nether regions

fokkin hook u in da gabba m8
Old Today, 12:43 AM   #19355
kirkisking