Old 10-15-2014, 06:22 AM   #17381
MapOfYourHead
Often sarcastic

I put jam on my bread sometimes
Old 10-15-2014, 10:32 AM   #17382
xxdarrenxx
UG Fanatic

Hey Will.

With vertical I meant the general way of music or approach rather.

In the classical era it was largely about things like counterpoint, and melodic and harmonic devices.

In Jazz it is largely about altering/extending the harmony, so the lead instrumentalist has more melodic options presented to him and playing around with motifs.

In pop music most hit songs share the same framework of certain chord progressions and strong melodic consonants and/or having a catchy melody.

To sum it up, all of the above is pretty much the "art" of controlling pitches harmonically and/or melodically. Hence I call that horizontal since those genre's are largely (not entirely) exploring different things, but with a big emphasis on the criteria of 'pitch'. For a lot of people this is the true and only definition of music, but I just see this as just one way to order sound in an accessible and/or interesting form for us humans.

I think you really do share an opinion not dissimilar to mine, since you often use your own umbrella term of 'dots on a paper', implying pitch as being "old fashioned", uninteresting or perhaps even superficial. Albeit maybe more elitist, but perhaps that's your way of sparking a discussion.

In a lot of (newer) electronic music, the pitch is still present, but a lot of people seem to value the music more for playing around with filtering and things like frequency modulation, and how a static melodic or rhythmic motif changes not in pitch over time, but changes in filtering, timbre or rhythm.

Off course you have the mainstream EDM, but I feel the pitch/melodies are just there to reach a connection with people who like catchy melodies, and use electronic musical devices to give an inflection of being modern, hip or even pseudo experimental.

I guess I am not in a position to tell you or anyone for that matter having for example a bassline wobble for the sake of wobble is not that edgy and/or innovative, but that's how I feel about it.

I always loved a lot of electronic music, but mostly because of the way the sound changes over time or the ability of someone to find a combination of sounds having "chemistry" with each other for the lack of a better word, and not pitch. For that kind off stuff I listen to jazz and classical music.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[FONT=Palatino Linotype
[COLOR=DarkRed]Who's Andy Timmons??
[/SIZE][/B]

Last edited by xxdarrenxx : 10-15-2014 at 11:20 AM.
xxdarrenxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 10:56 AM   #17383
xxdarrenxx
UG Fanatic

Btw I do not have a jam track 20T, but I thought we could just take a leap and try to get something going with both schools of thought on music.

I would personally feel excited, since I'm not into this "choose sides" thing. I find that leading to nothing useful or exciting at all.

Maybe I am too naive in thinking people are here to find out more about anything related to music, but then why not delete this forum?

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[FONT=Palatino Linotype
[COLOR=DarkRed]Who's Andy Timmons??
[/SIZE][/B]

Last edited by xxdarrenxx : 10-15-2014 at 11:02 AM.
xxdarrenxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 08:41 PM   #17384
Hail
kill both bass players

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxdarrenxx

I always loved a lot of electronic music, but mostly because of the way the sound changes over time or the ability of someone to find a combination of sounds having "chemistry" with each other for the lack of a better word, and not pitch. For that kind off stuff I listen to jazz and classical music.

i think the easiest way to describe what you're saying is an experimentation between timbres that has become limitless with the streamlining of the synthesizer and "DIY" production techniques
Hail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 04:13 PM   #17385
willT08
Official Classist

this mixolydian thread is mind blowing
willT08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 04:19 PM   #17386
deadsmileyface
u*(wot/m8)

Upto

did somebody say

MODES???????