Jet City JCA22H

My SoundCloud
GaryBillington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 02:51 PM   #4182
whywefight
uncoachable; unsociable

hey guys

show

How do I get back the menu with the metronome and locking up on top and the track sidebar on the left, I've looked through a tonnnnnn of settings on reaper and I can't find anything

edit: figured it out

Last edited by whywefight : 03-07-2015 at 03:20 PM.
whywefight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 03:27 PM   #4183
Spambot_2
UG's rum aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryBillington
Have you guys seen these:
http://www.dawsons.co.uk/gibson-memory-cable

Gimmick or good tool?
Everything gibson makes nowadays is a gimmick if ya ask me, and that is no exception.
Old 03-15-2015, 02:49 PM   #4184
yoman297
how quik do i get ban

Quick question, I have a drumset and 2 condensors and I want to know if there is an optimal way to record it. One is a Audio-Technica AT2020, and the other an AT2050.

It's a bad setup but I'm wondering if there's anything I can do before I invest in mics. I don't care whether it's lo-fi or not either
and a bunch of other things
yoman297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 05:11 PM   #4185
chaosmoon

I'd look into some stereo microphone techniques. ORTF and DIN are two of my favorites. It might sound a bit off with two different mics, but I think it'll be alright.
chaosmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 06:56 PM   #4186
yoman297
how quik do i get ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosmoon
I'd look into some stereo microphone techniques. ORTF and DIN are two of my favorites. It might sound a bit off with two different mics, but I think it'll be alright.

Tried it and it worked great. Thanks!
Old 03-16-2015, 09:00 AM   #4187
Spambot_2
UG's rum aficionado

Depends.

How good does your room sound?

If it sound good then I'd use a mid-side pattern, if it doesn't then definitely the recorderman technique.

I'd much rather not use the ORTF nor the spaced pair ideas, first off because you have two different mics and the resulting sound is gonna be off (something's gonna sound in a way in the left ch and in another way in the right ch), and even if you had a pair of equal mics you'd need a decent sounding room at least.
Old 03-18-2015, 04:13 PM   #4188
chaosmoon

Soundtoys just released a free plugin. Aside from it's pretty creepy name, it's actually really cool. It's a pitch correction and vocal effects plug.

They usually do it leading up to a release of the 'full' plugin. But even these free ones are amazing.

https://www.soundtoys.com/sxsw2015/&rc=314-5630-917
chaosmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 11:33 PM   #4189
DisarmGoliath
Disarms Goliaths

Checked it out (from your link) the other day, forgot to mention it. Doubt it'll get you anything though lol. Decent thing to mess around with, anyway, and mildly improved my shoddy clean vocals on something I made to 'progress check' how I am with singing these days.

My band go into the studio for drum tracking of new album on April 4th and 5th, can't wait. Gonna be making a video studio diary hopefully, for promotional purposes, but will keep people updated here purely to inspire a little more chit chat in here Might try and do a thread/guide type thing about it too, depending on how busy I am in a week and a half etc. as I wanted to when we did last album but got way too sidetracked being too involved with everything and didn't do enough creatively for stuff like that. This time I'm relinquishing engineering role somewhat for drum tracking and vocals, having an input but not being needed to do the menial stuff, so I can pay more attention to the musical side of things like a typical band member would

Oh, and after a brief discussion in the mod forum the other day, have had the 's' dropped from the forum name, so we're now the Recording forum (not Recordings) Have spoken to mod from another forum who suggested we have a sub-forum for people who just post their Youtube/Soundcloud etc. channels generally to share them, rather than individual covers or originals or something, so I said I'd float the idea in here to see what people think (this particularly applies to you, Derek). Perhaps it could replace the contests sub-forum as that hasn't been used in months?
Old 03-24-2015, 04:33 AM   #4190
GaryBillington
The Original

Sounds good to me- I always thought the 's' was slightly misleading.

IMO I'm not sure a whole subforum for sound cloud/YouTube links in necessary though. There would be a lot of crossover with the existing subforums we already have for posting recordings (and the promote your band forum). There's no problem with people who want to do thatthat just doing it in the forums we already have.
Laney VC30
Jet City JCA22H

My SoundCloud
Old 03-24-2015, 08:43 AM   #4191
DisarmGoliath
Disarms Goliaths

Well, I don't wanna be accused of selling it short so here's the exact words of the question:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc8995
I also would like to float the idea of a "share your sound clips" section or thread, or better guidance on where they should go. We get people linking heir youtube channels in GG&A, which is not the place for them, but currently there's no real place where they're specifically told to post such things. They're not really covers or originals, most of the time it's just "check out my shitty squier video review" which is fine but needs a space.

Is there a place for that in Recordings?
Old 03-24-2015, 01:37 PM   #4192
GaryBillington
The Original

I'm not sure I approve of this being the place for shitty squire reviews

Sharing sound clips is probably best homed here though, thats different to promoting YouTube channels.

Try it & see how it goes.
Laney VC30
Jet City JCA22H

My SoundCloud
Old 03-24-2015, 02:20 PM   #4193
MatrixClaw
UG God

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisarmGoliath
Checked it out (from your link) the other day, forgot to mention it. Doubt it'll get you anything though lol. Decent thing to mess around with, anyway, and mildly improved my shoddy clean vocals on something I made to 'progress check' how I am with singing these days.

My band go into the studio for drum tracking of new album on April 4th and 5th, can't wait. Gonna be making a video studio diary hopefully, for promotional purposes, but will keep people updated here purely to inspire a little more chit chat in here Might try and do a thread/guide type thing about it too, depending on how busy I am in a week and a half etc. as I wanted to when we did last album but got way too sidetracked being too involved with everything and didn't do enough creatively for stuff like that. This time I'm relinquishing engineering role somewhat for drum tracking and vocals, having an input but not being needed to do the menial stuff, so I can pay more attention to the musical side of things like a typical band member would

Oh, and after a brief discussion in the mod forum the other day, have had the 's' dropped from the forum name, so we're now the Recording forum (not Recordings) Have spoken to mod from another forum who suggested we have a sub-forum for people who just post their Youtube/Soundcloud etc. channels generally to share them, rather than individual covers or originals or something, so I said I'd float the idea in here to see what people think (this particularly applies to you, Derek). Perhaps it could replace the contests sub-forum as that hasn't been used in months?

Good idea on dropping the "s", I agree with Gary that it's kind of misleading. People seem to think this forum is ONLY for posting your songs, not actually talking about recording. The amount of threads I have to move over from GG&A to here usually exceeds the amount of posts that are actually made in the correct forum

I'm fine with dropping the contests forum. I'm honestly not even sure what purpose it ever served, considering it hasn't been used in a long time... Only issue I have with people posting their YouTube or Soundcloud in its own forum, is that we're going to have less traffic in the Original/Covers forum, since people will just update their original post when they put out a new song. Either that, or we'll have people cross posting in all 3.

Honestly, it doesn't really matter to me, though. It's not like we have so much traffic in the first place that taking on a few more moderation duties will be a big deal. If you think it's a good idea, that works for me

After reading Roc's comment though, I get the idea. It could be used for gear reviews that are done by members and stuff, where it's not really a GG&A thing and it's not really a song they've recorded.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
MatrixClaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 03:49 PM   #4194
DisarmGoliath
Disarms Goliaths

Yeah, I didn't explain his idea well in the first post haha. My main problem with it was what we might call it to be obvious enough for people to use without it being a sentence for a title lol.
Old 03-24-2015, 09:54 PM   #4195
yahelite-rcell

Sir I Got a question to all of you guys Im using korg ax1g then plug it in Boss ge-7 now i want to record my guitar tru my computer what software can I use to sound good in it ...thanks
yahelite-rcell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 10:03 PM   #4196
BV-95

Quote:
Originally Posted by yahelite-rcell
Sir I Got a question to all of you guys Im using korg ax1g then plug it in Boss ge-7 now i want to record my guitar tru my computer what software can I use to sound good in it ...thanks

First, you're gonna sell the Korg ax1g and the GE-7.

Then, you're gonna buy a Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 audio interface - it has an input pad so you're guitar signal won't clip (exceed 0db) when you record the input into your DAW.

Your DAW will be reaper. It is free* and amazing.

Then, you're gonna get Amplitube, it is a guitar amplifier simulator.

You are going to plug your guitar into Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 and open up a channel in Reaper to record your guitar DI (direct impulse) signal into Reaper.

Then, you are going to take that DI signal and put Amplitube on it and treat it like you would an amplifier.

*It is free for 60 days (iirc), and then it is only 60 dollars for a full license. Amazing value.

Or, you're still gonna sell the Korg and the Boss, and then buy an iPad and install Positive Grid JamUp on it and get the JamUp plug and plug your guitar into that.

SX Ursa Bass

Fender CD140S Acoustic

Last edited by BV-95 : 03-24-2015 at 10:19 PM.
BV-95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 02:33 AM   #4197
yahelite-rcell

Thanks for the info sir..is Korg ax1g is bad gadgets actually i have boss BE-5M is like a analog pedal then again chain it in GE-7 eq..and one more thing should i buy analog pedals rather than buy a multi fx?
yahelite-rcell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 02:46 AM   #4198
BV-95

Quote:
Originally Posted by yahelite-rcell
Thanks for the info sir..is Korg ax1g is bad gadgets actually i have boss BE-5M is like a analog pedal then again chain it in GE-7 eq..and one more thing should i buy analog pedals rather than buy a multi fx?

Not if you are on a small budget, no.

SX Ursa Bass

Fender CD140S Acoustic
BV-95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:24 AM   #4199
oneblackened
Future Breed Machine

I gotta tell you guys, there's nothing as satisfying as tracking a good band, especially getting a good drum sound.
Charvel San Dimas Style 1 (MIJ) (JB/59)
Peavey 5150 II head (JJ tubes)
oneblackened is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:34 PM   #4200
yoman297
how quik do i get ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spambot_2
Depends.

How good does your room sound?

If it sound good then I'd use a mid-side pattern, if it doesn't then definitely the recorderman technique.

I'd much rather not use the ORTF nor the spaced pair ideas, first off because you have two different mics and the resulting sound is gonna be off (something's gonna sound in a way in the left ch and in another way in the right ch), and even if you had a pair of equal mics you'd need a decent sounding room at least.

Sorry for the late response, but the room doesn't sound too bad because of gym flooring and insulated walls. But with that there are also some bad parts, with a wooden roof and walls and such. Maybe I should try a one-mic method.

Rate This Thread: