Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-04-2012, 12:02 AM   #1
guitarist1977

Noise from picking hand

Hello fellow guitar players,

I have a question about noise produced by my picking hand. I am not talking about noise coming from not muted strings that I don't want to pick. I am using various techniques to mute that such as palm or thumb.

I am talking about noise that coming from right hand movements when I change the strings. it is basically the same as when you just rub your fingers against the strings.

When I see videos on youtube for instance I see that most players don't have such problem, but I am. And it is clearly something wrong with my technique.

Any advice?

Regards
Alex.
guitarist1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 01:36 AM   #2
Wild_One

do you have any picture of your picking hand position ?. IMO, maybe you are pushing your palm too much on the bridge, so when you move your picking hand, it produced noise...

If it is like that, then try to keep your picking hand relaxed and not pushing the bridge too hard.

Instrumental
Metalcore
Death Metal
80's
Globalized Hoax
Technical Difficulties (Cover)
Wild_One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 01:58 AM   #3
vIsIbleNoIsE
The Asian-Viking Paradox

do you have razor-sharp levels of distortion?

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
vIsIbleNoIsE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 08:05 AM   #4
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

Sounds to me like you're using way too much pressure for the muting; you really don't need to press down very much. It takes a light touch to mute the strings and as with nearly everything in guitar you don't want to use any more energy than you absolutely have to.
Old 11-04-2012, 10:30 AM   #5
guitarist1977

Thanks a lot for your suggestions.

It is all true, I use razor sharp levels of distortion, but only for training purpose to make sure that even on the highest gain I have as little noise as possible.

Also I use my palm (or thumb) as a rest point on the strings and maybe pressing to hard so when I move hand it produce that noise.

Will try to avoid pressing on the strings. However where should I rest my palm to keep my hand relaxed?

Thanks,
Alex.
Old 11-04-2012, 10:41 AM   #6
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarist1977
Thanks a lot for your suggestions.

It is all true, I use razor sharp levels of distortion, but only for training purpose to make sure that even on the highest gain I have as little noise as possible.

Also I use my palm (or thumb) as a rest point on the strings and maybe pressing to hard so when I move hand it produce that noise.

Will try to avoid pressing on the strings. However where should I rest my palm to keep my hand relaxed?

Thanks,
Alex.

You can still rest your hand on the strings, and for muting purposes I would recommend you do, just don't use as much pressure to mute with; you only need to rest your hand lightly on the strings to mute noise.
Old 11-05-2012, 10:05 AM   #7
hamza hashmi

dont use distortion that much. i had the same problem, i noticed it when i was learning sweeping. keep a proper tone with proper amount of gain and compression, youll nail it.
hamza hashmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 10:31 AM   #8
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamza hashmi
dont use distortion that much. i had the same problem, i noticed it when i was learning sweeping. keep a proper tone with proper amount of gain and compression, youll nail it.

With good technique you can use as much gain as you like and still sound fine, it's a technique issue and not one of tone.
Old 11-05-2012, 11:03 AM   #9
guitarist1977

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphod_Beeblebr
With good technique you can use as much gain as you like and still sound fine, it's a technique issue and not one of tone.

That is actually my goal. As long as I master technique on full gain anything lower will be no issue.

Thanks a lot for advice, after 15 minutes of practicing I substantially reduced amount of noise. A couple of weeks of training and I hope to nail it.
Old 11-05-2012, 12:22 PM   #10
C0FF1NF33D3R
Banned

You could try covering every inch of your strings with Finger Ease. It eliminates "string talk." Buy this.
C0FF1NF33D3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 01:25 PM   #11
Anon17

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarist1977
That is actually my goal. As long as I master technique on full gain anything lower will be no issue.

Be aware that gain can cover up some mistakes and such (for example, some people can tap with gain on high but can't get the volume without gain because they haven't practiced on clean enough).
Anon17 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: