Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > The Pit
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old Today, 10:48 AM   #17521
DamienEx1021
PC Police

Answer received. I have a good idea of what I am going to put together. As soon as I get some free time today at work I will throw up a build.

*Edit* Add another page to the list of pages I have started in this thread.

*Edit 2*
Quote:
Originally Posted by awp28
Sorry for the novels! Looking forward to what you can turn up...thanks again for your help!!!

You gave me the exact amount of information I wish everyone would give me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolmnt
PC police strike again

Last edited by DamienEx1021 : Today at 11:00 AM.
DamienEx1021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:58 PM   #17522
awp28

I'm super excited now!! And no worries/no rush, you're the one helping me after all!
awp28 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:02 PM   #17523
DamienEx1021
PC Police

HDD: Seagate 2tb 7200RPM 64mb Cache SATA III
RAM: 16gb (2x8gb) 1866mhz RAM
SSD: Corsair 240gb SSD
GPU: R7 260X
CPU: AMD FX-8350 8-core 4.0ghz
Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 Mid Tower
MoBo: ASUS M5A97 R2.0
PSU: Rosewill 550w PSU
Heatsink: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO

Optional:
Wireless Card: ASUS 300Mbps b/g/n
HDD: Seagate 1Tb 7200RPM 64mb Cache SATA III
SSD: Corsair 120gb SSD

Total: $1139.9
Total with Current Sales: $897.70
Total with sales and Rebates: $822.70

I included the wireless in the totals but it isn't really necessary if you go hard wired and that will save you another $32. The other two optional items are just some cash saving measures if you so choose. Otherwise this thing will be the ultimate PC for recording and handling the wonder amount of load you will be throwing at it.

Ill give you more detail later. Right now back to work.

Quote:
PC police strike again
Old Today, 02:18 PM   #17524
captaincrunk
See, I Got News for You.

Quote:
Originally Posted by behind_you
pro tools 10/11 'highly recommends' a dedicated gpu for whatever reason, so I think you should still get one

frees up the processor and ram even more when you have a gpu and vram
#15 in the 2012 top 100
#23 in the 2010 top 100

NEW UG ALBUM! GET UG ELECTRONIC ALBUM: DISC THREE TODAY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by element4433
I respect crunk.
captaincrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:19 PM   #17525
captaincrunk
See, I Got News for You.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienEx1021
Total: $1139.9
Total with Current Sales: $897.70
Total with sales and Rebates: $822.70

I included the wireless in the totals but it isn't really necessary if you go hard wired and that will save you another $32. The other two optional items are just some cash saving measures if you so choose. Otherwise this thing will be the ultimate PC for recording and handling the wonder amount of load you will be throwing at it.

Ill give you more detail later. Right now back to work.

pro tip: load the DAW and the virtual instruments onto the SSD, load the samples and save recordings onto the HDD.
#15 in the 2012 top 100
#23 in the 2010 top 100

Quote:
I respect crunk.
Old Today, 03:56 PM   #17526
DamienEx1021
PC Police

I looked into Pro Tools 10 a little bit and there is a section there where you can set how many threads and the loading of the CPU for while you are doing stuff. That is one of the main reasons I went with an AMD 8-Core over and i7 with Hyper-Threading. The AMD for this type of work is more bang for the buck. Also it will have as many threads running with a high clock frequency. This is one of those few times where an AMD CPU is going to kick the crap out of Intel for this generation of CPU's. That processor will run a little warm which is why you are getting an after market air cooler. Just FYI that air cooler is the gold standard in which all other air coolers are compared to. Most all are not as good as it. The ones that are better come with a high premium and you might as well go for a closed loop water cooler at that point. You'll be fine with what I picked out.

The RAM is the highest speed that will work with the AMD chip set and you have 16gb to work with. Since you will be running so many plugins on that many tracks, a lot more RAM with a high clock should be very beneficial for you. It also has a lower CAS timing which will give you even more of an edge while working. 4.82 nanosecond clock time.

The SSD is sizable and will be good for processing work while you getting everything set. Move it over to the storage drive when you are done and you will be golden.

You have some extra PCI and PCI-e slots to work with and that wont be an issue. You have 6 SATA ports and 8 USB on board ports with plenty of expansion ports on the board.

As far as upgrading goes, this is it. If you really want to go all out, balls to the wall, no stops, I will need to do a little tweaking and it will raise the cost by no more than $300. I am not sure what kind of performance return you will get, but if you like the sound of a 4.7-5.0ghz 8-core processor, the only thing I will need to adjust is the case, cooler, mobo, and processor. When it is all said and done, I actually think I can get away with it for another $200-250 depending on how the sales go.

Let me know what your thoughts are and I will give you the best advice I can.

Quote:
PC police strike again
Old Today, 03:57 PM   #17527
DamienEx1021
PC Police

Everyone else: I want your input on this as well. If we are going to go all out, should we switch over to an i7 or do you think bumping him up to an FX-9370 or FX-9590 will be best in this case?

Quote:
PC police strike again
Old Today, 04:16 PM   #17528
captaincrunk
See, I Got News for You.

Quote:
Everyone else: I want your input on this as well. If we are going to go all out, should we switch over to an i7 or do you think bumping him up to an FX-9370 or FX-9590 will be best in this case?

I think an intel would be better because you don't overclock for music. you need consistency. my i5 2500 (I know it's old but it still scores well compared to new i7s) is more than enough for 50 plugins
#15 in the 2012 top 100
#23 in the 2010 top 100

Quote:
I respect crunk.
Old Today, 04:38 PM   #17529
DamienEx1021
PC Police

Quote:
Originally Posted by captaincrunk
I think an intel would be better because you don't overclock for music. you need consistency. my i5 2500 (I know it's old but it still scores well compared to new i7s) is more than enough for 50 plugins

But is it more than enough for 100?

Quote:
PC police strike again
Old Today, 04:39 PM   #17530
Xiaoxi
Registered Luser

Quote:

Quite honestly I think you're doing something wrong when you're running 100 or even 50 signal processors.
I want to recognise your beauty's not just a mask
I want to exorcise the demons from your past
I want to satisfy the undisclosed desires in your heart

Xiaoxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:48 PM   #17531
DamienEx1021
PC Police

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiaoxi
Quite honestly I think you're doing something wrong when you're running 100 or even 50 signal processors.

Did you mean plugins? Because the only people I know who run 50-100 processors are super computers and server farms.

Quote:
PC police strike again
Old Today, 04:57 PM   #17532
jazz_rock_feel
A Joke Ban Broke My Title

Quote:
Did you mean plugins? Because the only people I know who run 50-100 processors are super computers and server farms.

Plugins are signal processors.

Soundcloud. Look at it. Or don't.
jazz_rock_feel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:58 PM   #17533
DamienEx1021
PC Police

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz_rock_feel
Plugins are signal processors.

Got it.

Quote:
PC police strike again
Old Today, 05:10 PM   #17534
captaincrunk
See, I Got News for You.

Quote:

yes but why have 100 different plugins when you can bounce tracks and resample them for the same effect? no one realistically uses 100 plugins.

also I meant to say tracks. so 50 tracks each with dozens of plugins. though that's mostly due to my lack of organization, it does help that my processor kicks ass.

anyway for most systems the bottleneck is RAM, so getting well clocked ram at a high capacity is a priority, and then processing, and then a sound card (or just use an external soundcard or audio interface, especially if recording live instrumentation or using a good monitoring setup).
#15 in the 2012 top 100
#23 in the 2010 top 100

Quote:
I respect crunk.
Old Today, 08:18 PM   #17535
awp28

zomgz you guys rock!!! I raced home from work, couldn't contain my excitement! This is coming along marvelously thanks to all for your contribution!!! Overall I think the performance specs for the aforementioned components will be exactly what I need for the job. Here's a few comments I have (feel free to chime in at will!):

- If possible, I think I would like to go with a Intel motherboard/CPU combo, assuming it doesn't break the budget (I can bite the bullet to get from the $900 up to around $1000-1100 if necessary; also looks like newegg has some good deals going so maybe that won't be necessary!)
>>> EDIT: DamienEx1021, I read through your rundown of the balls-to-the-wall tweaks to up the ante on the processing power; I am equally tempted to see how that would work out too cost-wise in comparison to both the original list and an Intel quad-core-based system (I'm guessing an Intel 8-core system will break the bank...you also make some good points about how the AMD may be superior for this particular application, though I must say I'm a bit of an Intel fanboy just as a matter of precedence/habit, but I am also open to exploring AMD particularly as I know they are generally cheaper for the same specs and they've become fairly reputable over the past decade or so)

- any recommendations for an alternative GPU with two analog/VGA outputs?? I'm so behind the 8 ball I literally don't own a DVI or HDMI monitor merppp (I wonder if they even make VGA-based GPUs anymore with current industry-standard specs lol)...the more I think about it, the more I realize two monitors would probably be ideal for me, but all I have is two VGAs trying to keep the budget going towards the workhorse components and not towards peripherals though obviously I can't expect the impossible...worst case I may just suck it up and use one monitor for now with GPU you suggested and maybe buy another HDMI or DVI monitor down the road

- considering an optical drive (DVD-RW), but I may have one in an old computer I can pull out; mainly just need it to load some software though most things are online these days anyways...

- just generally matching the right RAM with these changes; those 2x8 GB DDR3's seem legit, if they work with the proposed alternative Intel configuration I'm down to keep them

- the Corsair SSD seems a little sketchy; that's about the right storage size, but I'd be willing to pay a little extra for a spec-comparable but more time-tested, reputable brand (any experience with these??)

- similar thought for the Seagate HDD (I read several reviews about that particular model crapping out right at the 2 year warranty mark); I'd almost be willing to part with it for a more robust 1 TB HDD in order to keep the price point stable (input also welcome here!)

- lastly, and I'm ending on a n00b question here, what do I do to load the OS? Is it preprogrammed into the motherboard, or do I load it to the drive somehow (via the BIOS??)...will I have to separately purchase the Windows OS as well? (sorry for my ignorance )

THANKS A TON you guys, I'm super pumped, I'm getting ready to pull the trigger soon on a hefty purchase order once the parts are in order!!

Last edited by awp28 : Today at 08:43 PM.
awp28 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:44 PM   #17536
captaincrunk
See, I Got News for You.

Quote:
Originally Posted by awp28
zomgz you guys rock!!! I raced home from work, couldn't contain my excitement! This is coming along marvelously thanks to all for your contribution!!! Overall I think the performance specs for the aforementioned components will be exactly what I need for the job. Here's a few comments I have (feel free to chime in at will!):

- If possible, I think I would like to go with a Intel motherboard/CPU combo, assuming it doesn't break the budget (I can bite the bullet to get from the $900 up to around $1000-1100 if necessary; also looks like newegg has some good deals going so maybe that won't be necessary!)
>>> EDIT: DamienEx1021, I read through your rundown of the balls-to-the-wall tweaks to up the ante on the processing power; I am equally tempted to see how that would work out too cost-wise in comparison to both the original list and an Intel quad-core-based system (I'm guessing an Intel 8-core system will break the bank...you also make some good points about how the AMD may be superior for this particular application, though I must say I'm a bit of an Intel fanboy just as a matter of precedence/habit, but I am also open to exploring AMD particularly as I know they are generally cheaper for the same specs and they've become fairly reputable over the past decade or so)

- any recommendations for an alternative GPU with two analog/VGA outputs?? I'm so behind the 8 ball I literally don't own a DVI or HDMI monitor merppp (I wonder if they even make VGA-based GPUs anymore with current industry-standard specs lol)...the more I think about it, the more I realize two monitors would probably be ideal for me, but all I have is two VGAs trying to keep the budget going towards the workhorse components and not towards peripherals though obviously I can't expect the impossible...worst case I may just suck it up and use one monitor for now with GPU you suggested and maybe buy another HDMI or DVI monitor down the road

- considering an optical drive (DVD-RW), but I may have one in an old computer I can pull out; mainly just need it to load some software though most things are online these days anyways...

- just generally matching the right RAM with these changes; those 2x8 GB DDR3's seem legit, if they work with the proposed alternative Intel configuration I'm down to keep them

- the Corsair SSD seems a little sketchy; that's about the right storage size, but I'd be willing to pay a little extra for a spec-comparable but more time-tested, reputable brand (any experience with these??)

- similar thought for the Seagate HDD; I'd almost be willing to part with it for a more robust 1 TB HDD in order to keep the price point stable (input also welcome here!)

- lastly, and I'm ending on a n00b question here, what do I do to load the OS? Is it preprogrammed into the motherboard, or do I load it to the drive somehow (via the BIOS??)...will I have to separately purchase the Windows OS as well? (sorry for my ignorance )

THANKS A TON you guys, I'm super pumped, I'm getting ready to pull the trigger soon on a hefty purchase order once the parts are in order!!

there's a 19 dollar usb powered external optical drive at staples right now, but dvd rw drives are so cheap tthere's no reason to not have one in a desktop
#15 in the 2012 top 100
#23 in the 2010 top 100

Quote:
I respect crunk.

Rate This Thread: