Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-04-2013, 05:08 AM   #1
kyle62
Need a dispenser here!

Line6 making harsh, nasty noise - can any amp techs help?

My Duoverb has always worked fine but for the last couple of gigs i started noticing weird little dropouts where the output drops for a very small time (maybe 500ms or so at most).

This only seems to happen on the 'Amp 1' models on the top dial. The volume drop also comes through the recording outputs and headphones.

A few days ago I turned it on and got a very nasty, harsh digital noise coming through the speakers that sounds almost like electrical arcing.
Very quiet notes come through as normal, but anything above a certain threshold has a horrible harsh 'scrambling' noise to it.

I smacked the top of the amp and it started working normally. However I turned it on again today and the nasty buzzing noise is back, but this time it won't go away.

I pulled the chassis to have a look and all the ribbon cables etc are seated properly. The noise also comes through the direct outputs and FX loop, so I don't think it's the power amp. My guess is the power supply, but I'm not really knowledgable about such things.

Here's a sample of the noise:
http://line6.com/data/u/0a06434d267...erb%20Noise.mp3

I'm really pissed off - I bought the Duoverb as something reliable and versatile for gigging, after having so many valve amps fail on me!

If any of you guys have a clue what's going on, I'd really appreciate your advice.
Old 02-04-2013, 05:34 AM   #2
Blktiger0
The Name's Devon! ;)

I don't really know anything about those amps, so consider this a free bump, but I would try new tubes first, just to be sure.
Blktiger0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 07:44 AM   #3
kyle62
Need a dispenser here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blktiger0
I don't really know anything about those amps, so consider this a free bump, but I would try new tubes first, just to be sure.

Cheers but there's no tubes at all in this model. So much for solid-state reliability eh?
Old 02-04-2013, 08:04 AM   #4
Blktiger0
The Name's Devon! ;)

Crap I totally read it wrong on top of confusing it for another thread

I suppose you'll have that when you read like 20 threads in a row, with quite a few being troubleshooting like this

Well, I know next to nothing about Solid State troubleshooting, so I guess you get a few free bumps out of me
Blktiger0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:53 AM   #5
Robbgnarly

Sounds like you may have a problem with the DSP section. The bad thing with L6 stuff is they will not sell you any parts or give schematics unless you are a L6 service center. So actual trouble shooting and getting parts to fix it by yourself is next to impossible.

it sucks that this is the way it works, but you will really need to take it to an authorized L6 service center
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Robbgnarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:54 AM   #6
Offworld92
One among the fence.

Amps failing is an inevitability. The difference between tube and solid state is that when a tube amp starts acting up, you can replace a tube and fix it. When a SS amp fails, you're ****ed.

Bump... Hope you figure something out. I'd definitely try emailing Line 6.

Epiphone Firebird VII
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Peavey Predator USA
Ibanez RG520
Line 6 Pod HD500X
VHT Special 6 Ultra
Pedulz
Offworld92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 02:26 PM   #7
kyle62
Need a dispenser here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbgnarly
Sounds like you may have a problem with the DSP section. The bad thing with L6 stuff is they will not sell you any parts or give schematics unless you are a L6 service center. So actual trouble shooting and getting parts to fix it by yourself is next to impossible.

it sucks that this is the way it works, but you will really need to take it to an authorized L6 service center

Yeah, that's exactly what I feared.

I think it'll be my last Line6 product anyway, that's the second of their amps that's died on me now. The Duoverb is less than 10 years old, I've played Marshalls approaching their 50th birthday that have never even had the original tubes replaced!

Considering the Duo was a 1000+ amp aimed at the boutque market, that's a pathetic lifespan.
Old 02-04-2013, 02:32 PM   #8
Robbgnarly

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle62
Yeah, that's exactly what I feared.

I think it'll be my last Line6 product anyway, that's the second of their amps that's died on me now. The Duoverb is less than 10 years old, I've played Marshalls approaching their 50th birthday that have never even had the original tubes replaced!

Considering the Duo was a 1000+ amp aimed at the boutque market, that's a pathetic lifespan.

I had my L6 SVHD100 DSP go out on me 1 time. It was still under warranty so at least it was fixed for free, but after that I will never gig without a backup....ever.

Still it is worth getting fixed even if your just going to sell it . And The Duo's are pretty good sounding amps.
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Robbgnarly is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: