Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk > Singing & Vocals
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 03-10-2013, 09:57 PM   #1
Alphaform

Tips on teaching self to sing?

Can anyon please give me song tips on being able to sing? I'm not expecting to turn out having an amazing voice to be the next superstar, but just basic you know, singing to be able sing in tune, and to just properly.

I really want ot be able to sing and play guitar rather than jsut awkwardly play chords. It'd be nice just to be able to sing in tune if anyone can help.

Cheers
Alphaform is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 09:58 PM   #2
Alphaform

Also when I say singing, the kind of singing I'm talking about is just really breathy folk stuff.

Alphaform is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 01:22 AM   #3
Doveri

breathing: breath from the upper abs

vocal tract relaxation: sing a scale of notes while keeping your mouth still or sing something in the most relaxed way you can. You have to get basic relaxation first, but you also need to keep your throat as open as possible through your whole range.

nasal resonance + voice thinning: you have to develop good nasal resonance. start off by singing towards your soft palate, then move all the way into the nose. When you have good nasal resonance, you can thin your voice too as you go higher, which will help with your cord closure.

cord closure + mixing: if you get good at everything else, you can start mixing your voice simply by adding more power while keeping your voice open. It has to stay open. And by power, it means as little power as necessary. When you mix into really high notes, you'll see you don't actually add a lot of chest voice, you just let the throat +cords do the work.
Doveri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 08:52 PM   #4
Duce180

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doveri
breathing: breath from the upper abs

vocal tract relaxation: sing a scale of notes while keeping your mouth still or sing something in the most relaxed way you can. You have to get basic relaxation first, but you also need to keep your throat as open as possible through your whole range.

nasal resonance + voice thinning: you have to develop good nasal resonance. start off by singing towards your soft palate, then move all the way into the nose. When you have good nasal resonance, you can thin your voice too as you go higher, which will help with your cord closure.

cord closure + mixing: if you get good at everything else, you can start mixing your voice simply by adding more power while keeping your voice open. It has to stay open. And by power, it means as little power as necessary. When you mix into really high notes, you'll see you don't actually add a lot of chest voice, you just let the throat +cords do the work.

easier said than done lol.

You should do research on a singing program. Singing Success is good for that genre of music, also Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy and TVS are good programs. IF your not going to get lessons the least you can do is get a singing program, you'll get good results if your diligent and practice consistently. In the meantime you can learn to breathe from your diaphragm with this video series
Duce180 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: