Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Gear Building & Customizing
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-16-2013, 01:28 PM   #1
sequoiathrone1

Some help would be really appreciated

Today I tried out the true bypass mod for the original cry baby. Disappointingly, I've failed to execute it properly despite buying all the necessary tools etc... Feeling pretty stupid and disappointed right now but trying not to be deterred. Basically, i can play my guitar through it when the switch is off but when it's on all i get is feedback from the amp. I really don't know what the hell I've done wrong! I followed this tutorial:

here are some pictures of my pcb board

http://postimage.org/image/je6eg5ac5/

http://postimage.org/image/b98u96nrn/

http://postimage.org/image/q44ddzwn1/

If anyone could tell me i've done wrong that would be fantastic I realise my soldering could be a lot better but everyone's gotta start somewhere.

Thanks guys!
sequoiathrone1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 01:35 PM   #2
|Long|
String Theory

You have a multimeter? You should check your solder joints, as that may be the problem.

Also, are you sure that the trace is cut and there is no conductivity? again, this is something you can check with your mutlimeter.

Also, have you looked into removing the buffer circuit? It's not the problem you're having, but a common mod. FYI,
http://stinkfoot.se/archives/546

... Still watching the YT video you posted to see whats going on though.
Hydroxic acid, kills thousands of people every year. Studies have shown lakes and rivers all over North America contain high levels hydroxic acid. Currently governments have taken no action against this life threatening chemical.

Last edited by |Long| : 01-16-2013 at 01:40 PM.
|Long| is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 01:41 PM   #3
sequoiathrone1

So are you saying that I have in principle done everything correctly? (Bar the solder joints of course)
Old 01-16-2013, 01:41 PM   #4
sequoiathrone1

And if you're referring to what i soldered the input wire to in the first picture then yeah i guess i do.
Old 01-16-2013, 01:50 PM   #5
|Long|
String Theory

Ok,

Well there isn't much, so it's not overly complicated.

1) Check to make sure that you cut the trace properly. Use you multimeter
2) Check that the wire from the capacitor lead is connected to the switch.
3) Check that you soldered the switch up right. And the connection are made
Hydroxic acid, kills thousands of people every year. Studies have shown lakes and rivers all over North America contain high levels hydroxic acid. Currently governments have taken no action against this life threatening chemical.

Last edited by |Long| : 01-16-2013 at 01:51 PM.
Old 01-16-2013, 03:03 PM   #6
sequoiathrone1

Appreciate the advice but I don't think i have a multimeter. I will give the soldering another go but can somebody just confirm that everything is in the right place please?
Old 01-16-2013, 03:11 PM   #7
whoomit

I can't watch the video right now, but are you sure you've plugged the pedal in the right way round?

It may sound silly, but I've seen a lot of threads where people think they've broken their wah and that's been the answer.
Old 01-16-2013, 03:23 PM   #8
supersac

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoomit
I can't watch the video right now, but are you sure you've plugged the pedal in the right way round?

It may sound silly, but I've seen a lot of threads where people think they've broken their wah and that's been the answer.

this was my first guess
the feedback happened to my friend he jhut soldered on backards

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoomit
You sound like an amazing friend
i sound like one...im secretly a huge dick

my bands soundcloud
http://soundcloud.com/thenativetongues
supersac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 04:45 PM   #9
|Long|
String Theory

Quote:
Originally Posted by sequoiathrone1
Appreciate the advice but I don't think i have a multimeter. I will give the soldering another go but can somebody just confirm that everything is in the right place please?

If you are to do solder work, a multimeter is essential. You can get one for 20$ or less.

Quote:
Originally Posted by supersac
this was my first guess
the feedback happened to my friend he jhut soldered on backards

*doh
Sometime the simplest solutions are the best. That actually sounds like the problem, which as mine are usually if there is no sound.
Old 01-16-2013, 04:46 PM   #10
sequoiathrone1

I have cut the trace further but no change! Plugged the wah in a variety of ways and again no change...

Rate This Thread: