Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > The Pit
User Name  
Password
Search:

Reply
Old 03-16-2015, 08:06 AM   #13081
I.O.T.M
Vote for Based Dave
 
I.O.T.M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Has anyone else read The Commitments by Roddy Doyle? I thought it was marvellous. Does anyone know of any similar books?
__________________
CHELSEA FC

you can't look at the sky without looking right through it



#VoteConservative2015
I.O.T.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 10:52 AM   #13082
Conor360
To Live Is To Die
 
Conor360's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Just finished The Great Gatsby, that last paragraph is a heart-breaker
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrill-house
You like Lamb of God, so you're awesome.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopemgs

P.S: You like Lamb of God, so you're awesome


Quote:
Originally Posted by PsiGuy60
PS. To Conor:
You like Lamb of God, so you're awesome.
[/desperateattempttogetsigged]
Conor360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 03:11 AM   #13083
BladeSlinger
UG's Master
 
BladeSlinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Okmulgee/Tahlequah, Oklahoma
Reading the Book of Margery Kemp


holy shiiiiit this bitch is crazy
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by cemges
And tell, how come you became idiot enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainsnazz
brot pls
BladeSlinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 04:16 AM   #13084
I.O.T.M
Vote for Based Dave
 
I.O.T.M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
No Country For Old Men.

Cormac McCarthy is based.
__________________
CHELSEA FC

you can't look at the sky without looking right through it



#VoteConservative2015
I.O.T.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 11:43 AM   #13085
ultrasonic
That Weird Weird Guy
 
ultrasonic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Preston, UK
Looking to read something by Haruki Murakami, could anyone recommend me one of his to pick up please? Thanks.

Also, on the odd chance anyone has read anything by Laszlo Krasnahorkai (the guy who wrote the books that satantango and the werckmeister harmonies were based on), is he worth checking out?

Thank you very much in advance.
__________________
ultrasonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 04:51 PM   #13086
Dreadnought
Star-Splitter
 
Dreadnought's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Strange trails
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultrasonic
Looking to read something by Haruki Murakami, could anyone recommend me one of his to pick up please? Thanks.

Also, on the odd chance anyone has read anything by Laszlo Krasnahorkai (the guy who wrote the books that satantango and the werckmeister harmonies were based on), is he worth checking out?

Thank you very much in advance.


I'm surprised no one has answered this, I thought a ton of people read Murakami in here...
__________________
But we little know until tried how much of the uncontrollable there is in us, urging across glaciers and torrents, and up dangerous heights, let the judgment forbid as it may.
Dreadnought is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 08:24 AM   #13087
Krieger91
I Sold The World
 
Krieger91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
So last night I finished Stephen King's IT

And f*cking loved it. It's probably one of my favourite King books (along with Duma Key) and definitely the only one which really creeped me out
show

The story is awesome, and haunting, and it's just so well written, in my opinion.

The way it goes back and forth during the time periods, the way it's paced, the way that during the first 1985 sequences, you know something happened to them when they were kids but you don't know what..the little well thought out psychological essays , the way you get in to the mind and thought process of the ignored Bill Denbrough, the awesome "cycle of abuse" essays
show


And how the story and pacing is basically two different crescendos from different time periods, which meet their climax at the same time...I think the book is amazingly written. I didn't expect that, to be honest.

Pennywise is a fascinating character..

Also, for me, another plus is how the ending isn't ruined..something which sometimes unfortunately happens with his books.

But this one..it ends beautifully, and hauntingly.
show
__________________
He thrusts his fists
Against the posts

And still insists
He sees the ghosts
Krieger91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 09:55 AM   #13088
Cianyx
UG Nerd
 
Cianyx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Absurdistan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreadnought
I'm surprised no one has answered this, I thought a ton of people read Murakami in here...

This thread gets pushed to the second page so quickly I didn't know it was active.

Kafka on the Shore was the thread consensus on good Murakami
__________________
| ( ◡)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ)
Cianyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 10:59 AM   #13089
guitarxo
cat
 
guitarxo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: cat
I am planning to read the Mahabharata sometime soon so I read a condensed version by Devdutt Pattanaik. It's pretty good for providing context and linking the plot to other myths and stories so I feel prepared for the real thing now.

Wifi that only works for 2 hours a day and being unable to go out of the house is great for reading, so I've read a lot over the past few weeks.

Kafka on the Shore is not my favourite but it's a good place to start and figure out what you like and how weird you like your Murakami.
__________________
cat
guitarxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 10:19 PM   #13090
Masquirina
FLUFFIES
 
Masquirina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
The Locust Effect by Gary Haugen

For some reason this made me have a weird dream where I transformed into my childhood stuffed bunny and collapsed onto the book. Then I continued reading it.

Masquirina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 10:31 PM   #13091
Weaponized
positive thinking
 
Weaponized's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: phx, az
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krieger91
So last night I finished Stephen King's IT

And f*cking loved it. It's probably one of my favourite King books (along with Duma Key) and definitely the only one which really creeped me out
show

The story is awesome, and haunting, and it's just so well written, in my opinion.

The way it goes back and forth during the time periods, the way it's paced, the way that during the first 1985 sequences, you know something happened to them when they were kids but you don't know what..the little well thought out psychological essays , the way you get in to the mind and thought process of the ignored Bill Denbrough, the awesome "cycle of abuse" essays
show


And how the story and pacing is basically two different crescendos from different time periods, which meet their climax at the same time...I think the book is amazingly written. I didn't expect that, to be honest.

Pennywise is a fascinating character..

Also, for me, another plus is how the ending isn't ruined..something which sometimes unfortunately happens with his books.

But this one..it ends beautifully, and hauntingly.
show

I read most of King's books in high school and yeah, it was one of my favorites. I don't remember 100%
show
but yeah. I am coincidentally reading Night Shift right now even though I haven't read King in years!
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazysam23_Atax
Is the officer going to ask for the butt, so he or she can check whether it is hot?


last.fm
Weaponized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 11:01 PM   #13092
Vampire_State
Bloodsucker
 
Vampire_State's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
I just finally read William Gibson's Neuromancer.

I need more like it ASAP, obviously I know about the rest of Gibson's works.
__________________
Cry yourself to ash
Vampire_State is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:34 PM.

Forum Archives / About / TOS / Advertise with us / Customer Support / Ultimate-Guitar.Com © 2015
Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.