Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk > Bandleading
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 05-18-2014, 08:46 AM   #1
Dethvone1
Aspiring Singer/Guitarist

Question Questions on being a lead singer

So, lately I've been wanting to start band of some sort. I played guitar by myself for about 8 years, but I just dont have the passion for it that I used to. I still really enjoying composing riffs and song ideas I just dont really enjoy the playing part, strange as that may sound. However, Ive been singing off and on, and I feel like Ive gotten pretty good considering I havent had any training and only practice in phases. More importantly. I have a lot of fun doing it.

Essentially I would like to be the singer for a band ( some sort of metal, or something 90s grunge styled), and I want to play a part in writing the guitar and bass too. But, I dont want to actually play any of the instruments when performing. I dont really enjoy playing guitar anymore, and playing and singing at the same time sounds even less appealing.

You guys think thats asking too much? I get the feeling Ill be expected to play and sing at the same time, or just be expected to keep to the lyrics and vocals and leave the rest to them.

Just wanted some opinions I guess. I have some clips up on my profile of guitar pieces and vocal samples ( which are a year old now, so keep in mind Ive gotten a little better)
Dethvone1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 10:17 AM   #2
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.

Have you ever played in a band? If not, you can't know what it's like to be a guitarist in a band. I can tell you that guitar (or any instrument) is a lot more fun to play in a band than in your bedroom. Even simple parts will be fun to play if they sound good with the band.

Being the lead singer requires good vocal skills, especially if you don't even play any instruments (if you aren't good enough and don't play any instruments, people could easily replace you - but if you are a decent vocalist who also plays the guitar, you may not need to leave the band if they think they need a better singer - you could also sing background vocals). I mean, people that listen to your band will most of the time listen to the vocalist. If the singer isn't good, they don't want to listen to the band.

But yeah, of course try it. But also try guitar. It may turn out to be fun.

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez Blazer
Digitech RP355
MXR Micro Chorus
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Hartke HyDrive 210c

Last edited by MaggaraMarine : 05-18-2014 at 10:19 AM.
MaggaraMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 10:23 AM   #3
useitformusic
Use it for music

useitformusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 10:47 AM   #4
FoxAndTheHound

As long as the other members don't have the egos of prima donnas there should be no issue with you writing parts them to play. But I can also say that I'm in a band right now and when we all collaborate to write a song it sounds MUCH better and is a much more positive experience for everyone than one member just bringing something in and saying "Here's a song". So it's also important to understand that band members probably won't have issues with you bringing in parts, but they may want to change up the parts you write a little bit to fit their styles or to progress the song, so don't expect everything you write to be 100% exactly what the band will end up playing as the final product. If you're good with this then awesome!

Definitely push the fact that you can play guitar and sing. Anytime a singer can also play an instrument, or vice versa, it is a HUGE plus and will increase the chances of getting into and staying in a band by a lot.
FoxAndTheHound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 10:48 AM   #5
AccountAttempt4

Quote:
Originally Posted by useitformusic

Yeah, I have to agree with maggaramarine that you need to be a decent singer if you aren't gonna play an instrument, for example the guy in the clip above would probably get kicked out of it weren't for the fact that he played guitar.

If there's two guitarists in your band then I'm sure there would be no problem, but if I was the only guitarist in your band and you were telling me that you didn't want to play then I'd get a little annoyed: A second guitar adds to the sound and opens up different songwriting opportunities, so to deny those advantages when you could quite easily play would seem lazy to me.

I think if you were playing in a band and playing live you would probably enjoy playing guitar a lot more.
AccountAttempt4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 12:55 PM   #6
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.

Oh, and about writing other people's parts... I'm the bassist in our band and I don't only write bass parts. When I write songs, I write all parts. Why couldn't a singer write more than lyrics and melodies? Of course you can write whatever you want. I think it's just good that our guitarist writes bass parts to his songs because that will give me ideas. Of course he is also OK with it if I play my own basslines. I may also give him suggestions about his guitar parts in songs that he wrote. Or I may tell our drummer what kind of beat to play where.

The band needs to sound good together. That's why I don't get it when everybody writes their own parts and you can't tell your bassist to play something different. Everybody may have their own kind of view of the song and the parts may not go that well together. I think it's good to think what to play when.

So if you are a guitarist, you don't only need to write guitar parts. And other people can write your parts too. A song is not just a guitar riff, let alone a drum beat or a bassline.

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez Blazer
Digitech RP355
MXR Micro Chorus
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Hartke HyDrive 210c
MaggaraMarine is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: