Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-02-2012, 07:07 AM   #1
Afroboy267
UG's Metastatic Resonance

Sending Guitars?

I've had my Dean Razorback Explosion on eBay for about a month now and it's just not selling.

I've got the postage as collect in person but I think I might have more luck sending it via courier. Only problem is I have no idea who would send deliver it for me or how to go about it, can someone help me out with this?

The hardcase it comes in is pretty big.

Cheers

Check out my Band
http://www.facebook.com/atopiaofficial
http://atopia.bandcamp.com
Afroboy267 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 07:31 AM   #2
GaryBillington
Grumpier than normal.

So long as it's in a box, you can just take it to the post office & they'll sort it for you.

Alternatively, you can use a site like www.parcel2go.com to compare the cost of all the major courier companies - in fact it's often cheaper to use that site than it is to go direct to the courier's main website!!

You'll definitely get more money if you offer delivery though. I've bought & sold something like 50 guitars over the years, quite a few of them were purchased cheaply because the seller listed as collection only and I've made a reasonable profit on them by reselling with delivery as an option.

If it's been on there for a month though, I assume you've got it listed with a fixed buy now price instead of an auction listing? Do a completed listings search for similar guitars and compare the price you're asking to the price they've been selling for - it's very possible you're just asking for too much money.
Laney VC30 2x10 combo + 1x12 extension cab
GaryBillington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 07:58 AM   #3
Tom 1.0
Hot For Teacher

Package the case within a decent box bit enough for it to fit. Make sure there is extra bubble wrap or similar so t cannot move within the box. This is always key to protecting it. Just because its in its case, if the case can shift you have a problem. If you can double box it for extra security.

Then use Interparcel to get the best quotes. Also bear in mind that you make it clear insurance is an extra cost on top of shipping and its shipped at the buyers risk. Even then posting and insuring a guitar valued at 500 should cost around 20-30 for next day delivery.
Tom 1.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 08:29 AM   #4
Afroboy267

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryBillington
So long as it's in a box, you can just take it to the post office & they'll sort it for you.

Alternatively, you can use a site like www.parcel2go.com to compare the cost of all the major courier companies - in fact it's often cheaper to use that site than it is to go direct to the courier's main website!!

You'll definitely get more money if you offer delivery though. I've bought & sold something like 50 guitars over the years, quite a few of them were purchased cheaply because the seller listed as collection only and I've made a reasonable profit on them by reselling with delivery as an option.

If it's been on there for a month though, I assume you've got it listed with a fixed buy now price instead of an auction listing? Do a completed listings search for similar guitars and compare the price you're asking to the price they've been selling for - it's very possible you're just asking for too much money.

I've got it listed as 399 buy it now or best offer which is better than a lot of other 2nd hand razorbacks on there I think (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/190748471...984.m1555.l2649)

Do you reckon it'd be worth doing it as a bid? Start at 99p or higher maybe? Ideally I'd like 350 for it.

Cheers

Check out my Band
Old 11-02-2012, 09:05 AM   #5
Huge Guy
My muscles sure are mean!

I've sold a few guitars on ebay. If you are doing local pickup only then yeah, it limits the number of potential buyers. Here in the US I ship mine via UPS, it costs anywhere from $25 to $40 depending on the weight. If you don't have a box go to a guitar store and see if they have any lying in the trash, they always give me one when I ask.

As for the listing if you don't want to sell it too cheap then set a reserve price. That way if you don't reach the price you want you won't be obligated to sell. For the start price I often start with .01 to get people interested.

Hope this helps!
Huge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 09:09 AM   #6
guitar123daniel

For a courier use www.myhermes.co.uk. They come straight to your door and your first time using them is 25% off when you use the code CLTNS12 at the checkout.

On eBay start your guitar at 99p bidding but have a reserve of about 270 - 300 so if it goes for less than that you don't have to sell, if you don't want to.
guitar123daniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 09:10 AM   #7
Tom 1.0
Hot For Teacher

Don't spend the 5 on a reserve, just get somebody else to bid It up for you.
Tom 1.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 09:14 AM   #8
scottkeesee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge Guy
I've sold a few guitars on ebay. If you are doing local pickup only then yeah, it limits the number of potential buyers. Here in the US I ship mine via UPS, it costs anywhere from $25 to $40 depending on the weight. If you don't have a box go to a guitar store and see if they have any lying in the trash, they always give me one when I ask.

As for the listing if you don't want to sell it too cheap then set a reserve price. That way if you don't reach the price you want you won't be obligated to sell. For the start price I often start with .01 to get people interested.

Hope this helps!

I 100% agree with huge guy, I buy and sell lots of guitars on ebay. I always start the bidding at .01 or .99 cents and go with free shipping. It gets a lot more people intrested and bidding. I have always been able to get how much I wanted and lots of times more.
scottkeesee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 09:17 AM   #9
Huge Guy
My muscles sure are mean!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottkeesee
I 100% agree with huge guy, I buy and sell lots of guitars on ebay. I always start the bidding at .01 or .99 cents and go with free shipping. It gets a lot more people intrested and bidding. I have always been able to get how much I wanted and lots of times more.

The WORST mistake I see a lot of people make is a too-high shipping cost. If you list shipping as $80.00 no one will bid.

That, and not enough pics. Include lots of pics, eBay lets you include up to 12 for free.
Huge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 09:25 AM   #10
GaryBillington
Grumpier than normal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afroboy267
Do you reckon it'd be worth doing it as a bid? Start at 99p or higher maybe? Ideally I'd like 350 for it.

This is going to be somewhat subjective so it's up to you how much you read into it, but here goes:

In my experience (and a real-world friend has the same theory), starting auctions at 99p often gets a higher end price. As the price is low for the first few days, it gets people to add it to their watch list & maybe place a speculatively low bid. Then as more bids come in and the price starts to go up, they get hooked in & keep bidding themselves. If you start the bidding high (or even set a reserve), people don't get hooked in quite the same way & often won't be tempted with the initial speculative bid.

The most extreme example I ever had was about 3 or 4 years ago when I was selling a car on there. I originally listed it starting at 4k with no interest. Then I tried restarting it at 3.5k. Still no interest. Then another attempt at 3k. Eventually I reached the point where I just thought f*** it, I have to sell this car now!! Listed it for a week starting at 99p with no reserve, it ended up selling for just over 5k.

I've had similar experiences with selling guitars on there - high start or high reserve has failed to sell, then a low start with no reserve has got what I wanted and more.

Obviously not a proven science, but my mate & I have both been ebayers for 10+ years and have both noticed it. It was actually only a couple of days ago we were chatting about it & realised we both had the same theory!

The key thing with ebay is always the search for completed listings. When you compare the auction listings that have finished, it's very rare to see a huge variation in the end price, but it's very common to see buy now listings that didn't sell for a similar price.

A few tips:
It's worth considering the timing of the auction - listings that end during the typical working day (i.e. before 6pm ish) tend to sell for less than listings that end between 7 & 10pm ish. There just aren't as many people online during the day because of work/school etc.

The time of month is also worth thinking about - a significant portion of people get paid at the end of the month, so timing it to end in the last week or so when they may be feeling skint isn't a good idea, whereas ending it in the first week or so when they're feeling well off is better.

Also probably worth noting that Christmas is coming soon, so I'd recommend either doing it within the next few days or leaving it till February.

Edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom 1.0
Don't spend the 5 on a reserve, just get somebody else to bid It up for you.

This is another good tip - worth doing about halfway through the auction so you already have a few interested bidders.
Laney VC30 2x10 combo + 1x12 extension cab

Last edited by GaryBillington : 11-02-2012 at 09:26 AM.
GaryBillington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 09:31 AM   #11
Afroboy267

Wow, lots of good replies on here, thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryBillington
This is going to be somewhat subjective so it's up to you how much you read into it, but here goes:

In my experience (and a real-world friend has the same theory), starting auctions at 99p often gets a higher end price. As the price is low for the first few days, it gets people to add it to their watch list & maybe place a speculatively low bid. Then as more bids come in and the price starts to go up, they get hooked in & keep bidding themselves. If you start the bidding high (or even set a reserve), people don't get hooked in quite the same way & often won't be tempted with the initial speculative bid.

The most extreme example I ever had was about 3 or 4 years ago when I was selling a car on there. I originally listed it starting at 4k with no interest. Then I tried restarting it at 3.5k. Still no interest. Then another attempt at 3k. Eventually I reached the point where I just thought f*** it, I have to sell this car now!! Listed it for a week starting at 99p with no reserve, it ended up selling for just over 5k.

I've had similar experiences with selling guitars on there - high start or high reserve has failed to sell, then a low start with no reserve has got what I wanted and more.

Obviously not a proven science, but my mate & I have both been ebayers for 10+ years and have both noticed it. It was actually only a couple of days ago we were chatting about it & realised we both had the same theory!

The key thing with ebay is always the search for completed listings. When you compare the auction listings that have finished, it's very rare to see a huge variation in the end price, but it's very common to see buy now listings that didn't sell for a similar price.

A few tips:
It's worth considering the timing of the auction - listings that end during the typical working day (i.e. before 6pm ish) tend to sell for less than listings that end between 7 & 10pm ish. There just aren't as many people online during the day because of work/school etc.

The time of month is also worth thinking about - a significant portion of people get paid at the end of the month, so timing it to end in the last week or so when they may be feeling skint isn't a good idea, whereas ending it in the first week or so when they're feeling well off is better.

Also probably worth noting that Christmas is coming soon, so I'd recommend either doing it within the next few days or leaving it till February.

Edit:
This is another good tip - worth doing about halfway through the auction so you already have a few interested bidders.

Especially this one, thanks

Check out my Band

Rate This Thread: