User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 06-15-2013, 08:14 PM   #1
bigfyt
guitar?

Pinched harmonics

hey guys

so i have been practicing pinched harmonics for a while now and a few weeks ago they started ringing through for me, pretty much like every person ever says about them one day it just happens.

so im learning the floods solo which has some nice pinch harmonics in it.

now im hitting maybe 80% of the harmonics im going for which is always improving it seems which im happy about.

my question is,

ive noticed that on the d string when i play e (14th fret) d# (13th) c#(11th) i have to move my point of were i pick the string up with the notes only slightly each time to get them to all hit nicely together, then when i play g#(6th fret) a(7th fret) i have to go back closer to the birdge pickup then the "higher" notes

is this normal or am i doing things wrong.

also im having trouble hitting any harmonics on the high e string and b string im assuming im still touching the string too much.

obviously these are a feel technique and im aware of that but i thought you guys might be able to help with why i have to move it around, is it matching a certain frequency that the string is ringing on or something?

Bigfyt
bigfyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 08:19 PM   #2
Tempoe
. . . ∆ . . .

Normal, move your pick around to find the strongest places
Tempoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 08:53 PM   #3
J-Dawg158
UG's Resident Dhampyr

Harmonics are caused by putting your finger on a node point on the string. The location of these nodes are a function of the string length, so like you said you're supposed to have to move your hand when fretting different frets, because the string length has been changed.

The unwound strings are also harder to pinch because they seem to require a bit more precision in my experience so yea, it takes some feel & a lot of practice.
Enginere

I'm Good at Math
J-Dawg158 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 09:54 PM   #4
bigfyt
guitar?

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Dawg158
Harmonics are caused by putting your finger on a node point on the string. The location of these nodes are a function of the string length, so like you said you're supposed to have to move your hand when fretting different frets, because the string length has been changed.

The unwound strings are also harder to pinch because they seem to require a bit more precision in my experience so yea, it takes some feel & a lot of practice.

ok beautiful so ill just keep on doing what im doing until i get them all right.
bigfyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 07:09 AM   #5
breakstuff
UG Board King

Your guitar setup in addition to your effects/amp can make a difference inhow much you hear the harmonics and how clear they are. If you can nail a clean harmonic repetitively at a certain point then you have the technique down. Now you have to find the sweet spots on your guitar and learn them (which will come by practice). The Floods solo is a great way to learn that.

ALEX SKOLNICK, PER NILSSON........ADULATION MANDATORY

Gear: JACKSON RR3

Member#25 of the IRON MAIDEN ARE GODS CLUB. PM Revelations to Join
breakstuff is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: