Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Recordings
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 03-18-2013, 09:53 AM   #1
Megalomaniac_

Using Reaper

Hi, I've downloaded Reaper (still using the free trial), and I'm completely clueless as to how to use it sometimes. I don't have the time to mess around with it and figure it all out on my own. I'd really appreciate it if someone could help find a video or a instruction guide on how to use it.

I'm using it to record guitar and bass. I need to know how to add pedals and effects, any other helpful tips would be much appreciated.

Thank you.
Megalomaniac_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 11:24 AM   #2
versaln

look up tutorials on youtube, there is a website tutorialsforreaper.com , they also have a lot of stuff on youtube. if you want pedals and effects, those are called vst's, i will assume from your post you don't know what those are. there are lots of free ones to be had by searching the internet (free, not pirated). Reaper also has some built-in.

I purchased the line 6 pod farm software so i could have an all-in-one bass guitar and vocal suite of effects, you may look into that if you want something easy and don't mind spending a little. Otherwise you could just look for free amp vst's, and whatever fx you want. A good free amp sim for guitar is freeamp 3, and a bass one is 3rd bass.

I will guarantee you that the "I don't have time to learn" attitude means you won't ever get anywhere. Reaper is great, but like all DAWs it takes time to get to know it.
versaln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 11:36 AM   #3
ChemicalFire
King of Bacon Pancakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by versaln
I purchased the line 6 pod farm software so i could have an all-in-one bass guitar and vocal suite of effects, you may look into that if you want something easy and don't mind spending a little. Otherwise you could just look for free amp vst's, and whatever fx you want. A good free amp sim for guitar is freeamp 3, and a bass one is 3rd bass.

Apart from this paragraph this dude has it pretty much spot on. REAPER is very well supported in terms of tutorials. They have lots on their site.

If you're after amp sims and crap like mentioned above, there is a rather in-depth (though perhaps lacking in breadth in some cases) amp sim sticky on this forum as compiled by yours truly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
ChemicalFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 11:42 AM   #4
Megalomaniac_

Quote:
look up tutorials on youtube, there is a website tutorialsforreaper.com , they also have a lot of stuff on youtube. if you want pedals and effects, those are called vst's, i will assume from your post you don't know what those are. there are lots of free ones to be had by searching the internet (free, not pirated). Reaper also has some built-in.

I will guarantee you that the "I don't have time to learn" attitude means you won't ever get anywhere. Reaper is great, but like all DAWs it takes time to get to know it.

Thanks man, this helps a lot. I did a little searching for reaper tutorials and mainly found things that weren't any help, or weren't for guitar. Others were for Don't Fear The Reaper lessons haha.

I really want to learn how to use it, I don't have a bad attitude about it I just don't think anyone can play around with every little setting and option to figure out what they do because it is just too overwhelming sometimes. Thanks again
Megalomaniac_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 04:36 PM   #5
crazysam23_Atax
Burning away

One thing I would recommend is that you check out the amp sims sticky before you go looking at buying VSTs or a podfarm. (podfarm is bad, btw; if you must buy something like that, don't buy the Line 6 podfarm.)

Bandcamp

Now working on my upcoming EP "Discarnate". See the expected track list on my bandcamp.

Terry Prachett is funnier than you! Discworld
crazysam23_Atax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 11:29 AM   #6
versaln

....I like podfarm....

I also have EZMix....

I like the recording, not the mixing/mastering.
versaln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 11:55 AM   #7
chatterbox272

Quote:
....I like podfarm....

I also have EZMix....

I like the recording, not the mixing/mastering.

slapping an EZMix preset on is not even close to mixing or mastering something. Although I will say there's some unnecessary hate on Pod Farm here. In the mix, people will have about as much chance of picking pod farm from another amp sim as they do an amp sim from a real amp. Just look at Joey Sturgis, you going to tell me his guitar tones are shit?
Masquerade: #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael J. Caboose
Time isn't made out of lines, it is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round.
chatterbox272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 01:28 PM   #8
ChemicalFire
King of Bacon Pancakes

It's not that it's bad, it's more that there are better ones for cheaper of free. It's not as bad as it was when you HAD to buy a pod to use it cuz then you had to drop a lot of money for subpar sims and equipment. You can get good tones but you have to fight the sim to get them, there's very little working around that OTT fizz is the upper register.

And Sturgis tones sound fake, but it fits his production style. Everything is fake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
ChemicalFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 01:52 PM   #9
schwinginbatman
Excuse me, good sir!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chatterbox272
slapping an EZMix preset on is not even close to mixing or mastering something. Although I will say there's some unnecessary hate on Pod Farm here. In the mix, people will have about as much chance of picking pod farm from another amp sim as they do an amp sim from a real amp. Just look at Joey Sturgis, you going to tell me his guitar tones are shit?

I'd say POD Farm isn't bad, it's just that there's better for less. I've gotten some good tones out of the basic POD Farm, the JCM 800 model ran with a TS in front of it, but that tone isn't as good as the tone I could get out of a LePou or TSE sim with a good impulse, for free. That's why we tell people to stay away from POD Farm, because there's free alternatives that most will find better.

Gear:
ESP/LTD DV8-R
Jackson KVX10
ESP/LTD EC-200
ESP/LTD KH-202
ENGL Thunder 50
Studio 7 2x12
schwinginbatman is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: