Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Recordings > Original Recordings
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-19-2012, 05:42 PM   #1
GS LEAD 5

Pseudo metal- C4C, Soundcloud

https://soundcloud.com/arghyadeepmitra/eternal-almost

Its my band's first attempt at a full song, so it's not exactly a badass progressive epic.
I would be grateful if you guys could give it a look over and temme what you think its supposed to fade out at the end, forgot to do the requisite envelop filter tinkering.

Link me to what you want heard.
Peavey KB4

DSP's FTW

You Liek Digitech?
8>7>6. ERG'S FTW.
GS LEAD 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:24 PM   #2
ciadude2

I dig it, but the mixing is... I dunno how to say it... Muddy? Dark? It's very low-focused. It sounds almost like there's a filter over it in the mastering that shouldn't be there.

As far as the song goes, I like it. My only gripes are with the recording.
ciadude2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 09:55 AM   #3
GS LEAD 5

Ah.....thats what happens when your mixing headphones have a huge low cut below 100hz.
Any specific areas where I should work on?
And Im glad you liked it
Peavey KB4

DSP's FTW

You Liek Digitech?
8>7>6. ERG'S FTW.
Old 11-20-2012, 10:26 AM   #4
marrs11
Est 1991

The mix actually doesn't sound like it has much low end at all to me. It doesn't sound muddy on my end, it sounds very light. I don't hear any bass guitar in it. The symbols sound a bit loud and need to come down in volume I think. And I'm noticing that none of the crash hits have any kick to go with them? Is this intended? I guess it kind of contributes to the lack of bass I'm hearing in it.

Composition wise - its really tight! You've got something really badass here I think! I'm not all that fond of the screaming but it does go with it pretty well anyway.

Last edited by marrs11 : 11-20-2012 at 10:28 AM.
marrs11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 02:48 PM   #5
craigdevlin_1

Great track! Id probably be abit boring and recommend adding abit of a more conventional structure, especially in the intro/main riff part. Then again without vocals it is quite hard to tell. The guitar playing is untouchable though, great technique. Keep it up!

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1573922
craigdevlin_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 03:15 PM   #6
Invisus
UG's Roope

Good song, but you need to change a couple things. Cymbals are a bit too loud, and the guitar tone could be improved. Can't really tell about the low end because I'm on a laptop but its important to have it for that punch.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1573521
Invisus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 04:00 PM   #7
GS LEAD 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invisus
Good song, but you need to change a couple things. Cymbals are a bit too loud, and the guitar tone could be improved. Can't really tell about the low end because I'm on a laptop but its important to have it for that punch.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1573521

Yeah, I noticed that now that you've mentioned it. Thing is, in the bit which has fast double bass, the snare and the crash do not play quite the same- there's a snare hit for every 4 16th notes on the kick, while the crash sounds only every 6 16th notes on the kick. I cant seem to allow that interplay to sound without ending up with the crashes sounding stupidly loud everywhere else. Any idea how to fix that?
And what would you suggest for the tone? Re recording the whole thing is not really an option as I need to submit the completed track in a week......and what with exams, it wont be possible to do it over. As of now, im using two tracks panned left and right, a slight mid boost from 300-2000 Hz, and a low pass at 4500 Hz.
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigdevlin_1
Great track! Id probably be abit boring and recommend adding abit of a more conventional structure, especially in the intro/main riff part. Then again without vocals it is quite hard to tell. The guitar playing is untouchable though, great technique. Keep it up!

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1573922

Thanks for saying that man, really appreciate it

And there will be vocals once the vocalist is done with his CA exams in about a week, I'll post the final thing once it's done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marrs11
The mix actually doesn't sound like it has much low end at all to me. It doesn't sound muddy on my end, it sounds very light. I don't hear any bass guitar in it. The symbols sound a bit loud and need to come down in volume I think. And I'm noticing that none of the crash hits have any kick to go with them? Is this intended? I guess it kind of contributes to the lack of bass I'm hearing in it.

Composition wise - its really tight! You've got something really badass here I think! I'm not all that fond of the screaming but it does go with it pretty well anyway.

There is bass, but im kinda having a tough time mixing it in properly- the tuning's pretty low so im trying not to end up with a huge bass boom like in my older mixes....Il try increasing the bass a wee bit....and no, almost none of the crashes have a kick to it, and that was pretty deliberate- the kick has a rhythm of itself in most parts of the song. And screaming? O.o there are no vocals on the track at all.

EDIT: I posted in your respective threads

@marss11: And which track do you want me to listen to?
Peavey KB4

DSP's FTW

You Liek Digitech?
8>7>6. ERG'S FTW.

Last edited by GS LEAD 5 : 11-20-2012 at 04:13 PM.
Old 11-20-2012, 04:29 PM   #8
marrs11
Est 1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by GS LEAD 5
And screaming? O.o there are no vocals on the track at all.

EDIT: I posted in your respective threads

@marss11: And which track do you want me to listen to?

That's odd. I listened to it again (making sure I was critiquing the right one, and I was), but you're right. lol! I had another member's track open in another window that I had finished listening to and my brain (having a big lack of sleep), must have mixed the two up in memory. lol! Sorry about that. Disregard that particular comment. :P

Feel free to crit any track you want, though Redemption is the latest upload that I made a thread to get some feed back on the mix quality. People are saying the guitars needs more low-end on it, but I'm not sure if it really needs it or not unless I was doing metal-core or something. Idk. lol
Old 11-20-2012, 04:53 PM   #9
GS LEAD 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by marrs11
That's odd. I listened to it again (making sure I was critiquing the right one, and I was), but you're right. lol! I had another member's track open in another window that I had finished listening to and my brain (having a big lack of sleep), must have mixed the two up in memory. lol! Sorry about that. Disregard that particular comment. :P

Feel free to crit any track you want, though Redemption is the latest upload that I made a thread to get some feed back on the mix quality. People are saying the guitars needs more low-end on it, but I'm not sure if it really needs it or not unless I was doing metal-core or something. Idk. lol

I could not find Redemption so I heard Delerium instead. Link me to Redemption please.

Delerium- Guitars have a bit too much high end, a slight trimming would do well, just a little bit, the treblyness goes well with the song, just get rid of the harshness. A tone like the tone from the main riff of In Flames' "Bullet Ride" would really sound awesome on this. Love the clean melodies. The kick sounds a bit mechanical for want of a better word, more low end maybe? Same with the snare. Lead was SICK.
Peavey KB4

DSP's FTW

You Liek Digitech?
8>7>6. ERG'S FTW.
Old 11-20-2012, 05:07 PM   #10
marrs11
Est 1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by GS LEAD 5
I could not find Redemption so I heard Delerium instead. Link me to Redemption please.

Delerium- Guitars have a bit too much high end, a slight trimming would do well, just a little bit, the treblyness goes well with the song, just get rid of the harshness. A tone like the tone from the main riff of In Flames' "Bullet Ride" would really sound awesome on this. Love the clean melodies. The kick sounds a bit mechanical for want of a better word, more low end maybe? Same with the snare. Lead was SICK.

This should be the thread for Redemption (just a very small loop)
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1573835

And yes, I agree with you about Delerium. My monitoring quality tricked me into thinking there was more low end. I might end up doing the whole song over again (the mixing setup was an utter mess and I've since improved my efficiency for mixing techniques a great deal).
Old 11-20-2012, 05:49 PM   #11
Invisus
UG's Roope

Try boosting the highs just a bit, and turning up the guitar levels. I think that might help.
Invisus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 06:04 PM   #12
GS LEAD 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invisus
Try boosting the highs just a bit, and turning up the guitar levels. I think that might help.

Gonna give that a shot when vocalist comes over to record.
Peavey KB4

DSP's FTW

You Liek Digitech?
8>7>6. ERG'S FTW.
Old 11-20-2012, 06:15 PM   #13
MrDo0m
Blessed Sisyphus

I liked it, but I agree that everything kind of sounds muddled and a little too much in the mid-low range. Like the guy above me said, try bringing out those highs and perhaps cutting back a bit on the mid-range. With the exception of the bass and drum outro that starts at about 4:05, you should probably turn up the bass for the rest of the song. Other than that, it's a cool song! Digging that dark outro too.
MrDo0m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 09:50 AM   #14
GS LEAD 5

Cool

Damn, I just realized I forgot to record the outro breakdown

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDo0m
I liked it, but I agree that everything kind of sounds muddled and a little too much in the mid-low range. Like the guy above me said, try bringing out those highs and perhaps cutting back a bit on the mid-range. With the exception of the bass and drum outro that starts at about 4:05, you should probably turn up the bass for the rest of the song. Other than that, it's a cool song! Digging that dark outro too.

Glad you liked it man really have to add some highs, since it seems near unanimous on that front >.>

What would you like me to crit?

EDIT: Here's a re eq'd version.

What do you guys think?

https://soundcloud.com/arghyadeepmitra/eternal-re-eqd
Peavey KB4

DSP's FTW

You Liek Digitech?
8>7>6. ERG'S FTW.

Last edited by GS LEAD 5 : 11-21-2012 at 02:46 PM.
Old 11-21-2012, 02:49 PM   #15
boratian
UG Member

The guitars could use my tightening up tone-wise, its very fuzzed out and lacks some clarity...that could also just be my own taste, your tone is of course up to you! Overall it sounds like you guys are just having alot of fun playing, it comes out in the music.

The transition at 2:38~ is really spacey, I like it. I feel like again the tone of the synths (I'm assuming it's synths) could be sharpened ever so slightly to get it some clarity.

My favorite riffing is definitely about 1 minute in onward, its very driving.

The production of the drums is fantastic, overall my only critique would be to give the guitars more definition with some EQing, but other than that, very well done!

C4C? http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1574014
Old 11-21-2012, 03:42 PM   #16
GS LEAD 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by boratian
The guitars could use my tightening up tone-wise, its very fuzzed out and lacks some clarity...that could also just be my own taste, your tone is of course up to you! Overall it sounds like you guys are just having alot of fun playing, it comes out in the music.

The transition at 2:38~ is really spacey, I like it. I feel like again the tone of the synths (I'm assuming it's synths) could be sharpened ever so slightly to get it some clarity.

My favorite riffing is definitely about 1 minute in onward, its very driving.

The production of the drums is fantastic, overall my only critique would be to give the guitars more definition with some EQing, but other than that, very well done!

C4C? http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1574014

The slight fuzzed out ness was kinda deliberate, used a recto model to get that aggressive high end fizz, might have overdone it since its a recurring criticism. I re eq'd it, did you hear the second track I posted? And thats not a synth, its a double tracked clean guitar glad you liked it, it was originally supposed to be a reverbed acoustic guitar, on the spur of the moment I added a lot of compression, and a dual delay/reverb. Great to see it goes down well with listeners by sharpening, do you mean I should add more highs? and thank you for saying that about the drums
Listening to your track, will comment in it's own thread.
Peavey KB4

DSP's FTW

You Liek Digitech?
8>7>6. ERG'S FTW.
Old 11-21-2012, 08:44 PM   #17
ciadude2

I like the re-eq'd version better.
ciadude2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 04:59 AM   #18
GS LEAD 5

Thanks for listening to it ^ what do you want me to crit?
Peavey KB4

DSP's FTW

You Liek Digitech?
8>7>6. ERG'S FTW.
Old 11-25-2012, 10:12 PM   #19
crushingmetal

Thanks for your crit. This is a cool song, you have some nice riffs and good structure. The guitar tone is a bit dry and fuzzy, I think it just needs a slightly different EQ. I noticed you said there's a low pass and a mid boost, so I think you should try and shape the tone a bit more, here's some links to explain what I mean:
http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/...n-glossary.html
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfkfIYmY_Rc&feature=plcp

Your rhythm playing is really tight too, but I find if you record 4 rhythm tracks instead of 2 you get a thicker heavier sound. Finally like some other people have said the cymbals are a bit too loud, but it's not really too much of a problem. Just to be clear, i've criticised a lot of stuff in this post, but the song is really good, I just thought criticisms would be more helpful so you have things to work on.

Rate This Thread: