Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk > Singing & Vocals
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 07-24-2014, 09:42 AM   #4581
Meridian_87.5

I should be good on the rasp. Will let you all know if I ever make progress on fry.
Meridian_87.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 05:54 PM   #4582
RedChaos

Ryan strain is doing a tutorial series
Might be worth checking out, the first videos come out today

Last edited by RedChaos : 07-24-2014 at 05:57 PM.
RedChaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 03:30 AM   #4583
shellac5

Quote:
Originally Posted by merriman44
Here you go:
http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/...all/play1272098
I cut the clip short as I went on to explain how I got that sound, but if it's not what you are looking for I didn't want to make it overly long.

On further review, it sounds like he gets a bit more of a different overtone. Hey Shellac, do you have any recordings of you in a more Hifi environ, say a song?

If you really are getting a true fry overtone, I have zero clue how to get there at all, hahahaha. It's infuriating.

To be clear guys, I'm also always open to critiques and help. I feel like we all are trying to figure this stuff out for the most part, so if folks have better ideas, or ideas that I myself can improve, all the better!

Uploaded a short cover that I recorded just as I woke up, so the starts a bit messy but whatever, should be easier to hear all the bad things i do. Your comment about positive air pressure was very helpful to me, I've noticed that towards the end of versus when I run out of breath I throw all my air out and it just sounds like shit.

For my lows that I didn't record, the note I use isn't actually that low at all, it's still higher than my regular speaking voice, my throat is just more open and my lips are sticking out and pursed.
shellac5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 02:42 PM   #4584
merriman44

Your scream is totally different than mine, that is apparent now. It also sounds like fry is tossed into the back of your throat. That's pretty awesome.

Bastard.

merriman44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 05:15 PM   #4585
Meridian_87.5

So now the million dollar question for Shellac, how do you project your voice into that fry sound?

Edit: Also, I just posted a new recording on my profile: the vocals alone and then the full band version of a section for a song I'm writing. Feedback would be appreciated!

Last edited by Meridian_87.5 : 07-25-2014 at 05:58 PM.
Old 07-26-2014, 06:48 PM   #4586
Meridian_87.5

Hey all, question. Been feeling a lot of tension and some discomfort (not pain) in my throat lately. It is not a pain like a burning, but the only way I can describe it is like when you are working out and you push out one extra rep, and then you get that tension and a touch of burny feeling. I looked at my neck when I scream, and I don't see any tension. However, there is a super small section of my throat down at the base of neck that almost caves in a pushes in when I scream. And it is at that point that I feel the tension.

Anyone know what is going on?
Old Yesterday, 06:44 PM   #4587
merriman44

Sounds like improper technique for sure. Are you pushing the scream down? As in, are you trying to get it lower in your throat? Aside from that, I don't know what could cause a burning that far down. There is nothing down there. It could be referred pain. If so, it's from irritation on your true folds as the vestibular folds are above.

That's just a guess though. I'd keep an eye on it but if you are not losing range or tone, I wouldn't worry about it as long as it doesn't progress into something else.

I took a listen to your track. The fry is still very weak sounding. I wish i could help you more but I can really tell even in the full band mix that the voice just lacks power.
merriman44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:29 PM   #4588
Meridian_87.5

It is quite weak. It is basically just the actual fry sound, which I don't like at all. I'm still tryin to get it to be strong without just pushing. Ryan Strain posted a new vocal tutorial about fry, and his technique to get the sound is different than what I've seen done before. Going to mess around with that a bit.

I don't lose range or tone at all with the scream. Just worried me a bit at first.
Old Yesterday, 09:36 PM   #4589
RedChaos

That doesn't sound very comfortable, but good luck
Ryan's technique is a bit different
I tried it out with my own screams in a clip here
http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/...sic/play1272633

I've been trying to adapt all of my vocals to different styles
Finding my own style because currently, I don't have a very signature voice

I'll be interested to see what can be done through Ryan's tutorials so good luck Meridan
RedChaos is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: