Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Recordings
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-11-2013, 06:15 AM   #21
Androidjoey

Quote:
Originally Posted by chatterbox272
The thing I was suggesting before. Record the guitar DI, then play it back through the amp and record the amp. Gets you the same sound and 'feel' but without all the bleed and extra gear.

thats an awesome idea i did not know you could do that. i'm a recording noob lol
Androidjoey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 06:32 PM   #22
axemanchris
Awwww.... NOW what?!

You can almost always use more inputs.

kick
snare top
snare bottom
overhead left
overhead right
tom 1
tom 2
floor tom

That's eight tracks on the drums alone, and that's on a basic five piece kit - no rotos, no hi-hat mic, no gong, no second floor tom....

Recording a band "live off the floor" and you can add:

Bass DI
guitar 1 mic
guitar 1 DI
guitar 2 mic
guitar 2 DI
guide vocal

... there's six more, and you're still overdubbing the lead and backing vocals.

Bleed, IMHO, is really over-rated. It's often (usually) not that big a deal. Sometimes it is even desirable. And of course, there are always gates you can use. (or finicky editing, but geez... you want to avoid that if you can...)

You CAN (it seems) record 16 tracks at a time with that:
1-8 = XLR
9-10 - DI on front panel
11-14 - DI in back
15/16 - S/PDIF digital input from some other device.

In order to use mics on inputs 9-16, you would have to get other pieces of gear that would give you preamps to feed those inputs, and in the case of 15/16, one that would have digital S/PDIF outputs to feed the digital ins on the Tascam.

Daisy-chaining usually requires an ADAT connection which, unless I missed it, the Tascam doesn't seem to have.

CT

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawk
Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
axemanchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 09:16 PM   #23
chatterbox272

Quote:
Originally Posted by axemanchris

kick
snare top
snare bottom
overhead left
overhead right
tom 1
tom 2
floor tom

That's eight tracks on the drums alone, and that's on a basic five piece kit - no rotos, no hi-hat mic, no gong, no second floor tom....

fair enough. I still doubt his kit requires a minimum 10 mics.
Masquerade: #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael J. Caboose
Time isn't made out of lines, it is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round.
chatterbox272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 01:10 AM   #24
Androidjoey

Quote:
Originally Posted by axemanchris

kick
snare top
snare bottom
overhead left
overhead right
tom 1
tom 2
floor tom

Recording a band "live off the floor" and you can add:

Bass DI
guitar 1 mic
guitar 1 DI
guitar 2 mic
guitar 2 DI
guide vocal

... there's six more, and you're still overdubbing the lead and backing vocals.

Bleed, IMHO, is really over-rated. It's often (usually) not that big a deal. Sometimes it is even desirable. And of course, there are always gates you can use. (or finicky editing, but geez... you want to avoid that if you can...)

You CAN (it seems) record 16 tracks at a time with that:
1-8 = XLR
9-10 - DI on front panel
11-14 - DI in back
15/16 - S/PDIF digital input from some other device.

In order to use mics on inputs 9-16, you would have to get other pieces of gear that would give you preamps to feed those inputs, and in the case of 15/16, one that would have digital S/PDIF outputs to feed the digital ins on the Tascam.

Daisy-chaining usually requires an ADAT connection which, unless I missed it, the Tascam doesn't seem to have.

CT

Based on this I think we can work with that amount of mics but do you know of another interface or a better option because buying alot of preamps is going to drain our band budget
Old 01-12-2013, 01:21 AM   #25
lockwolf
Recording's AdBot/Dick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Androidjoey
Based on this I think we can work with that amount of mics but do you know of another interface or a better option because buying alot of preamps is going to drain our band budget

Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, you'll need 2. Tell your drummer to shove a stick up his ass if he bitches about needing 10 mics
Old 01-12-2013, 01:52 AM   #26
Androidjoey

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockwolf
Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, you'll need 2. Tell your drummer to shove a stick up his ass if he bitches about needing 10 mics

Unfortunately that's going to cost way more then buying the tascam plus 8 pre amps witch would cost around $600 and If I bought 2 saffires it would be a whooping $1000
Old 01-12-2013, 01:55 AM   #27
T4D
20 guitars and counting..

Quote:
Unfortunately that's going to cost way more then buying the tascam plus 8 pre amps witch would cost around $600 and If I bought 2 saffires it would be a whooping $1000

specially since sweetwater has the Tascam for $199.

I got Protools, Eleven Rack & lots of other stuff.
T4D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 02:02 AM   #28
Androidjoey

Quote:
Originally Posted by T4D
specially since sweetwater has the Tascam for $199.

Witch is a crazy good deal.
Old 01-12-2013, 03:47 AM   #29
lockwolf
Recording's AdBot/Dick

Good deal if you want an expensive doorstop. Like I said, I surfed other boards & looked at all the problems users were having with it, it'd be better to buy something better and get something that works.
Old 01-12-2013, 05:01 AM   #30
T4D
20 guitars and counting..

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockwolf
Good deal if you want an expensive doorstop. Like I said, I surfed other boards & looked at all the problems users were having with it, it'd be better to buy something better and get something that works.

have you had personal "working" experiences with this Tascam model ?

I got Protools, Eleven Rack & lots of other stuff.
T4D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 05:09 AM   #31
chronowarp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odirunn
A mono room and stereo OH would be much better.

why not just use a mono overhead and get a more focused kit sound, rather than having to deal with the inherent phase issues of a stereo pair?
Old 01-12-2013, 06:22 AM   #32
Odirunn
Hi, I'm Adam

Quote:
Originally Posted by chronowarp
why not just use a mono overhead and get a more focused kit sound, rather than having to deal with the inherent phase issues of a stereo pair?

Assuming the band is playing some sort of rock or metal (based on the kit having 2 kicks, etc) the sense of space for the kit is important and stereo OHs are perfect for framing the kit as a whole.
Old 01-12-2013, 06:32 AM   #33
chronowarp

depends what you need to do...more stereo image...or a more focus'd sound. It's a trade. and I'd say if the limitation is mic inputs, then it's worth giving a whirl.
Old 01-12-2013, 01:55 PM   #34
ToXyN
I am mine

I'm just a bit confused on how you have over 10 mic's, so probably well over a grand in mics, yet your looking at a 200 dollar interface?
ToXyN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 01:56 PM   #35
lockwolf
Recording's AdBot/Dick

Quote:
Originally Posted by T4D
have you had personal "working" experiences with this Tascam model ?

Do you? Because if you have the money to go out and buy & try every interface, please do. I don't but when you google it and the first 4 or 5 links for reviews outside store reviews (which never count) complain about driver issues and subpar preamps. I mean, it doesn't take a moron to realize that when you see people having issues with drivers in multiple reviews, it's not a good device.
Old 01-12-2013, 10:34 PM   #36
axemanchris
Awwww.... NOW what?!

@Chatterbox - yeah, it's not often that one could justify that they NEED ten tracks on a drum kit. I have 16 mic inputs and still usually just do:

Kick
Snare
Floor
Tom 1
Tom 2
Overhead L
Overhead R

... and then, just because I can, will experiment with placing one more mic somewhere.

But that tops out at 8.

Quote:

Not without spending some money. My extra 8 inputs that I use for less critical tracks (but really sound pretty decent) are from a Behringer ADA8000 ultragain unit that I picked up nearly new for about $200. Problem for you is that it sends signal via ADAT, which the Tascam unit you have your eye on doesn't support.

You could, for probably a couple hundred dollars or thereabouts get a mixer like a Behringer 2442 that has direct outputs on the first 8 XLR inputs, which you could then feed into the Tascam. A snake for this will cost about $40.

And then, of course, you have a significant cash layout in the form of a mitt-load of mics, cables, and stands too...

CT

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Quote:
Old 01-12-2013, 10:47 PM   #37
axemanchris
Awwww.... NOW what?!

Here is something that is always worth asking. You're looking at $200 for the Tascam, plus another couple hundred or so for other preamps and such to supplement it, plus you'll need other stuff that hasn't even come up yet, plus...

You're worried about your band budget and you've only just started looking at consumer gear. (certainly usable, but also certainly not professional). Consider the reality that, like learning anything else (guitar, carpentry, ceramics, whatever) it will take a couple of years to get half-way good at it.

Do you want a recording, or do you want to learn to record? If you want to learn to record, then great. Know that you're getting into a bare minimum amount of money that you could buy a Les Paul and a Mesa Boogie (at least to record a full band including live drums), and that it will take time. Let's say $2500 and two years.

If you want a recording, you can go to a project studio and pay someone who already has the gear and knows what he/she is doing and spend $350 for two days and have your recording done by next weekend.

CT

Quote:

Rate This Thread: