Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-31-2012, 06:20 PM   #1
omgpacifist

Pickup help!

Hi there guys. Happy Halloween. Anyways...I'm about to swap the pickups out of my Ibanez RGA121 Prestige and I'm extremely interested in BKP's (Bareknuckle Pickups, specifically the Aftermath); however, I'm not sure if this is the right pickup for me. I run my prestige through a boss cs3- ibanez ts9- golden cello- ISP decimator and straight into my Peavey 6505+ half stack. I currently have EMG 81/85's in my ibanez and I want something with more life in the sound because the EMG's sound kind of thin. The characteristics I'm looking for are: Smooth leads filled with life, tight articulation, and a good "chug." I've been considering purchasing the calibrated Bareknuckle Aftermaths but I'm not exactly sure if this "investment" is worth it. How do the pickups compare? (EMG vs Aftermaths) Also, are the Aftermaths "better" than the Dimarzio CL/LF combo?
omgpacifist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 06:30 PM   #2
ne14t

Well I can comment on the active vs the passive pickup issue for you as I have gone down that same road and had a similar experience, unfortunately I can't chime in on those specific brands as I haven't used them. When I tried EMGs it was the same combo and while they were great they were certainly missing something, for me it was the wild characteristics and overtones that passive pickups have when you start stacking tons of gain, something EMGs don't do because its a extremely low output pickup with an on-board preamp to further boost it so stacking tons of gain doesn't effect the initial signal.

The upside to this was you could stack a lot more gain on the EMGs then you could on a passive yet they still remained really quiet, this is good for people who don't want to piss around with noise gates but want tons of gain. So essentially it is a trade up choice that is up to the guitarist for their choice of music, since I don't use tons of gain I found having that wild characteristic and overtones from the passive was more pleasing for my tone. Best bet to make your decision on brand would to see if you can find a guitar with them in them to play, if that is not an option check out some sound clips online or something see which one suits flavor, because the brands you have mentioned are both good quality manufacturers.
Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 5
ne14t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 06:39 PM   #3
omgpacifist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ne14t
Well I can comment on the active vs the passive pickup issue for you as I have gone down that same road and had a similar experience, unfortunately I can't chime in on those specific brands as I haven't used them. When I tried EMGs it was the same combo and while they were great they were certainly missing something, for me it was the wild characteristics and overtones that passive pickups have when you start stacking tons of gain, something EMGs don't do because its a extremely low output pickup with an on-board preamp to further boost it so stacking tons of gain doesn't effect the initial signal.

The upside to this was you could stack a lot more gain on the EMGs then you could on a passive yet they still remained really quiet, this is good for people who don't want to piss around with noise gates but want tons of gain. So essentially it is a trade up choice that is up to the guitarist for their choice of music, since I don't use tons of gain I found having that wild characteristic and overtones from the passive was more pleasing for my tone. Best bet to make your decision on brand would to see if you can find a guitar with them in them to play, if that is not an option check out some sound clips online or something see which one suits flavor, because the brands you have mentioned are both good quality manufacturers.

Thank you for your input! I really can't find any BKP's anywhere over here because not too many people know about them; however, I've played the CL/LF's (not on my guitar) and they sounded really nice. But the aftermaths are supposed to be like the holy grail of metal. haha. I'm also considering swapping my cab to a Mesa recto. I just don't know!
Old 10-31-2012, 06:49 PM   #4
ne14t

Hey no problem, I love giving out advice if I can. Yeah I am not sure why BKP aren't more well known, I was introduced to them not too long ago certainly way later then I should have been and they really do have some nice products, as you said though the only issue is it is a UK based company I believe so its harder to find them.
Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 5
ne14t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 08:36 PM   #5
dannyalcatraz

I don't know how long Bareknuckle has been around, but I only discovered them last year.

When I decided to use them for a swap-out this month, I went to my FLMS* to get them. They didn't carry them, and had never heard of them except the new guy who pointed out that one (and only one) guitar in the store had them. They're looking into it for me...

* this is a mom & pop store that has been serving amateurs & pros since the 1960s, and they generally know their stuff. But most people around here are looking for SDs, DiMarzios, and so forth.

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Last edited by dannyalcatraz : 10-31-2012 at 08:41 PM.
dannyalcatraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 09:02 PM   #6
jeleopard
Jackson Fanboy!

BKP won't really be found in stores. Best found online.

That being said, BKP gets a lot of love, especially from prog-heads like Misha Mansoor and Nolly Getgood.
Jackson JS32R Dinky "Curry"
Schecter KM7
83 Gibson Explorer "Kimmy"
MiM Fender Jazz Bass "Pancho"
Ibanez SR485
Peavey 6505+ 112
Line 6 POD HD500
jeleopard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 09:36 PM   #7
omgpacifist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeleopard
BKP won't really be found in stores. Best found online.

That being said, BKP gets a lot of love, especially from prog-heads like Misha Mansoor and Nolly Getgood.

You just named two people who have slightly influenced me. haha!
Old 10-31-2012, 09:52 PM   #8
jeleopard
Jackson Fanboy!

imho, I'd just get Dimarzios. I'd get BKPs if I had the money and had a custom guitar.
Schecter KM7
Ibanez SR485
Peavey 6505+ 112
Line 6 POD HD500
Old 10-31-2012, 10:40 PM   #9
Offworld92
One among the fence.

I think the Aftermaths would do what you want.

That said, I think BKPs are overpriced, and probably a bit overhyped. If you're comfortable dropping that kind of cash on pups, then by all means go for it.

But maybe also have a look at DiMarzio D Activator Xs, or even normal D Activators first.

Also keep in mind that due to the sheer nature and design of EMGs, no passive will be as tight as you can be with them. That's IMO part of the appeal of passives in the first place - not having that surgical precision.

Also at least check out the 60/60A for the neck, and the X versions overall.

Epiphone Firebird VII
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Peavey Predator USA
Ibanez RG520
Line 6 Pod HD500X
VHT Special 6 Ultra
Pedulz

Last edited by Offworld92 : 10-31-2012 at 10:41 PM.
Offworld92 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 10:51 PM   #10
jeleopard
Jackson Fanboy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offworld92

That said, I think BKPs are overpriced, and probably a bit overhyped. If you're comfortable dropping that kind of cash on pups, then by all means go for it.

But maybe also have a look at DiMarzio D Activator Xs, or even normal D Activators first.

Also keep in mind that due to the sheer nature and design of EMGs, no passive will be as tight as you can be with them. That's IMO part of the appeal of passives in the first place - not having that surgical precision.

I honestly think Offworld gives some of the best advice on this forum
Schecter KM7
Ibanez SR485
Peavey 6505+ 112
Line 6 POD HD500
Old 11-01-2012, 02:19 AM   #11
omgpacifist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offworld92

Thank you, Offworld. You pretty much confirmed my suspicions of them being great, yet overpriced/hyped, pickups. How do the Aftermaths compare to the LF/CL combo? If you disregarded the price, which would you rather have if you were trying to fulfill MY personal wants.
Old 11-01-2012, 03:19 AM   #12
dannyalcatraz

Overrated/overpriced or not is a matter of personal taste. Give them a listen online vs the sound samples of the other pickups and decide for yourself.

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!
dannyalcatraz is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: