Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Acoustic & Classical Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-09-2013, 10:41 AM   #21
Bikewer

Pretty much all acoustic. I have flirted with electrics; I had a cheap Electra years ago but ended up selling it.
I do have a lap steel that I built... I haven't really gotten into it. So many different tunings to try, and the technique of playing the lap steel is quite different from playing conventional slide guitar.
Bikewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 03:01 PM   #22
Discomonkey33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikewer
I do have a lap steel that I built... I haven't really gotten into it. So many different tunings to try, and the technique of playing the lap steel is quite different from playing conventional slide guitar.

Awesome, I got a vintage gallotone which I converted to a lap style guitar. What helped me was having the right tone bar (I recommend the Dunlop lap dawg), learning open G and open D (2 most common slide tunings), and learning scales in other turnings. Look up scalerator.com it shows you scales for ANY tuning you want, you can adjust how many string you have (guitar, banjo, mandolin, violin, etc), and set them to whatever tuning you want. It helped me a lot...
Discomonkey33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 07:06 PM   #23
g1jammer
Rusted

I think acoustic and electric are worlds apart in terms of technique but I love playing both. At the weekend and on my own I will always turn to acoustic however as it's so accessible. Most of the stuff I play also starts out on acoustic even if I move it to electric.
g1jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 02:21 PM   #24
kingbabyduck
Cracking Eggs of Wisdom

I go through phases and it depends on the type of music I'm listening to that day as well. Most of the stuff I write starts out on acoustic. I always like taking my riffs that I wrote on an acoustic and play them on an electric just to see if there is a different variation or sound that may actually sound better. It's always fun for me to take something that I wrote fingerpicking and then try to apply it to an electric by breaking it up into heavier riffs.
kingbabyduck is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: