Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk > Singing & Vocals
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-26-2013, 12:52 AM   #1
someone1234

Am I good at singing?

No matter how many times I record my voice, I still don't know if it's good or bad. Can someone tell me? If it's alright, can you tell me what to work on? I've never had lessons and I would start if I had potential. If it's bad, can you tell me why?
By the way, this was recorded using a internal laptop mic, in a kind of empty room, if that affects the voice in anyway.
Here's the link:
https://soundcloud.com/someone1234-...ding-song-thing
someone1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 01:59 AM   #2
Wppa

To be completely honest, I don't think you were very good. I mean no disrespect, but I just feel like your voice sounded kind of weak. I don't know how to explain it, maybe you just weren't in tune for the most part. Try getting a singing teacher, they'd probably have a better idea of how you could improve, since I'm not that good at singing myself.
Wppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 02:29 AM   #3
letitia29
letitia

I'm not a singer, but i do know it has a lot to do with your breathing. Singing comes from your stomach, not your chest. I'm betting this is something you need to learn and them practice, like any instrument. I agree with Wppa, go get some singing lessons if its something you are interested in. Best of luck.
letitia29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 01:19 PM   #4
someone1234

Thanks! I really appreciate the feedback, but I'm still a little confused. To me, I felt like I sounded in tune for the most part. I'll work on my voice to get it stronger but I still feel like my that's not all that bad about my voice. Is there anything else I have to work on? Or does my voice just naturally sound bad?
Old 10-26-2013, 01:49 PM   #5
KrisHQ

Well. The tone of your voice is not really important.
Unless you have some kind of defect on your voice, it doesn't really matter that much.
The most important thing is pitching / being in tune, which is why everybody uses auto-tune nowadays. It sounds so much better when everything is completely in tune.
Your tone sounded fine, but your pitching was bad. Imagine if you had to play what you sung on a piano, that is how it should also sound when you're singing it (pitch-wise, obviously no vibrato on a piano).
From what I can hear you are what I would call a complete beginner. There is nothing wrong with that, we've all been there, and I bet that I was worse than you.

What you want to do now, is just sing a lot, but also record yourself singing to a karaoke track. It's very important that you are not only intonating good with yourself, but that you are singing in tune with the chords in the song.
So a few things you could do to practice:

1. Find a karaoke-version of a song you like. Record yourself singing with the karaoke track. Be a perfectionist, if you need to sing a line 1000 times, do that.
2. Play a melody on a piano (preferably) but a tuned guitar will work, and try to sing that melody. Try to sing it with the piano and also seperately. The melody could just be 3 descending or ascending notes, the most common would be Root->Major Third->Fifth (a major chord)
3. Ear-training. You can use Earmaster or any other program that you would prefer. This is probably the most boring of the exercises, but I believe it helped me.
4. Practice holding notes with a piano or a guitar. If you can tune your guitar, you how how it sounds when two identical notes are ringing together. It's VERY easy to hear the tension if you are not spot-on. This an exercise you should do a lot, and it can be pretty funny as well. If you do not know how it sounds when two identical notes are ringing simultaneously, you need to learn that. I learned it by tuning my guitar. There should be no tension between the notes at all. The "wobble" effect should be completely eliminated.

Edit: You can use this website: http://www.virtualpiano.net/
If you do not have a piano

Last edited by KrisHQ : 10-26-2013 at 01:57 PM.
KrisHQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 02:24 AM   #6
someone1234

Thanks for the tips, I'll work on all those. But I'm still curious, do I have the potential at least to be decent, or even good? please honest answer because I don't want to work on something that will never improve.
Old 10-27-2013, 02:43 AM   #7
Bluesblitz
Resident COOTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone1234
Thanks for the tips, I'll work on all those. But I'm still curious, do I have the potential at least to be decent, or even good? please honest answer because I don't want to work on something that will never improve.

I think it's hard to say, but it certainly isn't impossible. Just pay attention to the pitches your singing and if they feel right to you, and work on singing in-between your diaphragm and your head. I know plenty of good signers in choir who couldn't match pitches when they started, but just keep listening to yourself.

"I eats more chicken any man ever seen!"
-Howlin' Wolf
Bluesblitz is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: