Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > The Pit
User Name  
Password
Search:

Reply
Old 07-17-2013, 01:58 PM   #61
Xiaoxi
Registered Luser
 
Xiaoxi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: libtard Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mephaphil
As I'm getting into modes and stuff a lot more I'm getting more and more interested in Jazz and it's difficult to know where to start, as I'm a guitarist I'm listening to Wes Montgomery, Django Reinhardt at the moment. I do like it, I don't love it yet.

That's because you think it has something to do with modes.
__________________
asdf
Xiaoxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 05:27 PM   #62
Duaneclapdrix
Needs to wash his hair...
 
Duaneclapdrix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydra150


Sorry, I only looked at the list in the first post.

I also thought Ian was joking when he recommended Holdsworth and Ornette Coleman as introductory jazz. If the first thing I heard was Ornette Coleman playing free jazz I would have stayed away for years.
__________________
My MuseScore music
http://musescore.com/user/21980/sheetmusic

Soundcloud
https://soundcloud.com/duaneclapdrix
Duaneclapdrix is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 05:33 PM   #63
Hydra150
not so cowardly
 
Hydra150's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Scotland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duaneclapdrix
I also thought Ian was joking when he recommended Holdsworth and Ornette Coleman as introductory jazz. If the first thing I heard was Ornette Coleman playing free jazz I would have stayed away for years.

I like to think that Ian is always joking. It's that thought that has kept me sane.
__________________
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip_pepper
I'm not gonna post pics of my hot mom.
Hydra150 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 05:34 PM   #64
Mephaphil
No empty frets.
 
Mephaphil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiaoxi
That's because you think it has something to do with modes.


Me wanting to get into jazz but being a bit intimidated by the size of the genre has something to do with modes? They're two separate issues. I made two statements, wanting to play jazz and listen to it are completely different things.

But thanks anyway .
Mephaphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 05:37 PM   #65
BladeSlinger
UG's Master
 
BladeSlinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Okmulgee/Tahlequah, Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mephaphil
Me wanting to get into jazz but being a bit intimidated by the size of the genre has something to do with modes? They're two separate issues. I made two statements, wanting to play jazz and listen to it are completely different things.

But thanks anyway .

Why did you even mention modes and Jazz if you aren't connecting them?


I wish everyone would stop bring up modes.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by cemges
And tell, how come you became idiot enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainsnazz
brot pls
BladeSlinger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 05:40 PM   #66
theguitarist
I closed your thread.
 
theguitarist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: North London.
Quote:
Originally Posted by primusfan
man, if you only really like piano trios, I highly recommend the ray brown trio when he was playing with gene harris. check out bam bam bam and bassics: the best of the ray brown trio.



just checked it out. ta.
__________________
Quote:
“There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want.”
~ Bill Watterson

O__o

Goodbye and Good Luck
theguitarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 05:51 PM   #67
primusfan
Conspiracy Music Theorist
 
primusfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: LOLville, KY
some other good hard bop piano trios:





__________________
#DTWD
primusfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 06:31 PM   #68
Mephaphil
No empty frets.
 
Mephaphil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by BladeSlinger
Why did you even mention modes and Jazz if you aren't connecting them?


I wish everyone would stop bring up modes.


Come on, I made two obvious statements.

1) Playing jazz in modes. Not as much as I thought, I was corrected.

2) Getting into Jazz artists in general, to listen to has nothing to do with modes or theory.

This was sorted out by Hydra already, let's move on shall we.
Mephaphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 06:37 PM   #69
Xiaoxi
Registered Luser
 
Xiaoxi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: libtard Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mephaphil
Come on, I made two obvious statements.

1) Playing jazz in modes. Not as much as I thought, I was corrected.

2) Getting into Jazz artists in general, to listen to has nothing to do with modes or theory.

This was sorted out by Hydra already, let's move on shall we.

They're not as separated as you may be thinking. After all, how can you play it if you haven't even grasped the listening part?
__________________
asdf
Xiaoxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 06:44 PM   #70
Mephaphil
No empty frets.
 
Mephaphil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
You don't need to know anything about theory at all to listen to music.

First, I want to listen to it. Anything else will come later. I just made a link to my current level of playing. They are very separate entities.
Mephaphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 07:07 PM   #71
SuperKid
Registered User
 
SuperKid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
charlie christian got me into jazz. id listen to jazz music chronologically, start with swing and bebop, go for the contemporary stuff later. easier to digest
SuperKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 07:49 PM   #72
Duaneclapdrix
Needs to wash his hair...
 
Duaneclapdrix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
That solo is so good I can't believe it. It gets better every time.
__________________
My MuseScore music
http://musescore.com/user/21980/sheetmusic

Soundcloud
https://soundcloud.com/duaneclapdrix
Duaneclapdrix is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:31 PM.

Forum Archives / About / Terms of Use / Advertise / Contact / Ultimate-Guitar.Com © 2014
Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.