Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-04-2012, 05:54 AM   #21
Goochster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jriches7
Tomorrow I'm going to buy a gripmaster and see if it helps.

There is no magical solution.

How are your lessons structured? Give yourself some aims. Maybe try RGT or Rockschool. I follow the RGT syllabus. Its not for everyone but it keeps me focused and I know that I am picking up all the fundemental theory knowledge and guitar skills that are going to be useful for the future.

Some people want to just learn famous songs. That's great too if it keeps you interested. If you're going to do this try to keep it real and learn songs within your skill set. Although that said if you find songs that you like are too difficult now, don't loose heart. Come back to them later and keep trying. As your muscle memory gets better and your overall knowledge gets better, you'll find that you can come back to these songs you thought difficult and you WILL eventually crack them!

Learn some scales and then improvise against some backing tracks on youtube. Knocking out a solo will do wonders for your confidence and keep you interested.

Also you've got to get out of your comfort zone and keeping striving for new techniques/styles etc. I taught myself fingerstyle/travis picking. I'm not great but you would be amazed how much of a difference it can make to plain old open chords rather than just strumming.

Don't blame you're teacher. They are there to help you. Only you can make the real difference.

Lastly. Its been said hundred's of times already but there is a good reason for that. It 's sound advice!

Practise, practise and more practise. Try to play everyday if possible. If you feel guilty for not getting enough pracise then that's a good thing.

Oh and enjoy!

Last edited by Goochster : 12-04-2012 at 06:20 AM.
Goochster is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: