Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-04-2013, 01:51 PM   #1
Lavatain
5150 III Enthusiast

Think I just blew my amp up?

Was playing on my Peavey Bandit 112 just now, and playing about with my 10 band eq, and switched cables about to put eq in front of chain, rather than before my chorus in the effects loop. When I went to plug my chorus back in, the loudest buzzing came through when the connection was made, louder than normal cable plugging-in-buzz. So I turned the amp off, and back on, and when it was on and all connected, it was really quiet, like stupidly low volume. Turned it up to about 5 from the 1.5 it was at and then back down and it was normal, then suddenly dropped again.

Rewired back to how my chain was before with EQ in effects loop, and seems to be normal, volume level-wise, but my tone sounds horrible now, worse than before (hence trying to re-EQ). Anyone know what just happened?
Lavatain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 01:53 PM   #2
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar

Your gear just spoke to you. It said "time for a new amp.... time for a new amp...."
R45VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 01:54 PM   #3
danvwman

Whats it sound like with the guitar straight in?
Old 02-04-2013, 01:56 PM   #4
Robbgnarly

remove your pedals 1 at a time and figurae out which is causing your issue. I bet it is pedal related and not amp, but I could be wrong.

Or take all pedal out of the signal all togeather and see if you still have similar issues and add 1 pedal at a time until you find the culprit.
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Robbgnarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 02:03 PM   #5
Lavatain
5150 III Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by R45VT
Your gear just spoke to you. It said "time for a new amp.... time for a new amp...."

Seems to be the general consensus from my thread last night about wanting a really tight low end.

Amp seems to work fine now, except there's a buzzing somewhere in the high end that is way more prominent than before, a fizzy sorta sound. I get this even when plugging in direct. Definitely amp/speaker related, not pedal.
Old 02-04-2013, 02:04 PM   #6
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lavatain
Seems to be the general consensus from my thread last night about wanting a really tight low end.

Amp seems to work fine now, except there's a buzzing somewhere in the high end that is way more prominent than before, a fizzy sorta sound. I get this even when plugging in direct. Definitely amp/speaker related, not pedal.

I was just kidding.

Do what Rob said and see if you can't pinpoint it down.
R45VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 02:07 PM   #7
Lavatain
5150 III Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by R45VT
I was just kidding.

Do what Rob said and see if you can't pinpoint it down.

Haha, I know :p but still..

I did remove each pedal at a time and tried running into the amp dry with no pedals, definitely an amp/speaker thing. I'll make do for a while until I get round to a new amp which needs to be soon.
Old 02-04-2013, 02:11 PM   #8
Robbgnarly

plug your guitar only into the FX retun jack and see if the fizz is still there if it is then it is in the power section or speaker. If it is gone then it is something in the preamp.

You will only beable to get a clean sound and use your guitar volume and tone knobs as well as your master volume to check diff volume levels. Doing this bypasses the preamp section of your amp.
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Robbgnarly is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: