Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > The Pit
User Name  
Password
Search:

Reply
Old 04-20-2014, 03:16 PM   #1181
cha33 armstrong
has 2 UG medals
 
cha33 armstrong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: southampton
Sup guys first post

I just bought the most vintage spider-man comic i could find in the next town over and i'm thinking of starting a collection

I got spectacular spider-man (1986) #116
__________________
show
cha33 armstrong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 01:55 PM   #1182
Jack Off Jill
Is Voting MakinLattes.
 
Jack Off Jill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Elmo's World.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ticket48
How did you guys get into graphic novels or comics? I ask because I read some occasionally but not a lot. I never really know how to find something I want to read. I usually get drawn in by the artwork and then stay for the story. I like things that are not so superhuman focused. I'm not saying I dislike those, but I usually look for something a little more offbeat than that.

I liked to draw superheroes when I was a kid so my dad bought me Wizard Magazine that had a lot of drawing tips. Because of that magazine I learned about Preacher and Transmetropolitan and stuff like that. So when I was old enough to get an allowance I started buying comic books.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
Jack Off Jill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 04:19 PM   #1183
jwizzle5786
JJ
 
jwizzle5786's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Maryland
I was really into Dragon Ball as a kid (and all the other great shit part of that Toonami lineup like Zoids and Sailor Moon), and started getting Shonen Jump when it released here. For some reason, I was never allowed to get Dragon Ball, but I was also super into Yu-Gi-Oh! at the time thanks to a friend so I started collecting that manga. So then I got really into Shonen, which is essentially the equivalent of cape comics.

When the Watchmen movie came out, I picked up the comic and V For Vendetta. Then right after that DC did their New 52 so I got fully into capecomics with that. I liked Spider-Man so I picked up Slott's Spider-Man right after that. The covers for Hickman's Fantastic Four caught my eye and I began to pick up that as well. I dug Hickman's FF a lot so I picked up his Image series Manhattan Projects and Secret, which left me jonesing for more creator-owned stuff.

Now I mainly just get Image stuff. I do get a lot of Marvel (only four DC books), but that's decreasing for the indie stuff.

That's probably a lot more than the question warranted. Oh well.
jwizzle5786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:16 AM   #1184
Jack Off Jill
Is Voting MakinLattes.
 
Jack Off Jill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Elmo's World.
Quote:
Originally Posted by uhh_me?
Bros, did none of you read my massive post on the last page?

Preacher is bad because Ennis writes for 13 year old boys that like edgy things like Nine Inch Nails.

Sandman took me like 6 tries until I wanted to persevere. Glad that I did because there is a ton of amazing work. Read it as a story about stories and storytelling. Later on this gets hammered home, but having that perspective from the start was helpful.

Preacher isn't special because of the scatalogical humor or the over the top violence, its because of how well developed Jesse's relationship with Tulip and Cassidy is. Because of the flashback to Vietnam told by Jesse's dad's best friend, because Garth Ennis writes the most satisfying endings in comic book history... Take Hitman and The Boys for example. The other stuff was icing on the cake. Unfortunately he doesn't seem to get that anymore either. Some of his newer work just retreads old ground without the heart.

Plus his sense of humor has never been as childish as say Grant Morrison's or Warren Ellis. And those two guys are considered greats, too.

And since you trash talked my man Ennis, I gotta say that Prophet is awful. I read the first three trades and hated it. I trades them for Locke and Key hardcovers. Best decision I ever made.

Actually, its probably not bad. I just had a hard time following along or caring about the John Prophets. But it did leave me in the mood for a good science fiction story so I bought the Library Editions of Fear Agent. Which is gorgeous, by the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macabre_Turtle
Is it blasphemy that I didn't care for Sandman? I started reading it on recommendation from this thread, and it's general reputation among comic bookdom, and I quit about 20 issues in. It had some moments, but it generally just felt like it was trying to be too abstract and weird. I did read the spinoff mini-series for Lucifer and I can't wait to read the main title once I get the chance.

Not really. I don't recommend Sandman to everyone. Mainly because it's so all over the place... You know it starts off as a horror and then turns into fantasy and then jumps into the Shakespeare stuff. It's a solid series if you wanna put effort onto it, but there's so much to remember and so much going ok that it can be a hard read. The Dolls House was probably my favorite part of the series. Especially because of how it was tied into the Hellblazer Family Man arc.


Someone was asking for books kinda similar to Hellblazer:

Ten Grand and Ghosted are both really similar. Locke and Key is a really neat supernatural story, and uhhhh.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.

Last edited by Jack Off Jill : Yesterday at 03:33 AM.
Jack Off Jill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:29 PM   #1185
Ticket48
-Thread Killer-
 
Ticket48's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwizzle5786
Now I mainly just get Image stuff. I do get a lot of Marvel (only four DC books), but that's decreasing for the indie stuff.

That's probably a lot more than the question warranted. Oh well.

Nah, that was a great answer. I loved Toonami too! Dragon Ball was one of my favorite shows. I liked the original series more than Dragon Ball Z. Probably, because Z took forever to do anything and I was a small kid with a small attention span.

I'll look into Image. I know Marvel and DC have a lot of great stuff, but I'm getting bored of the more traditional superheroes and their stories.

Also, I find I'm a sucker for a good origin story. Anyone else?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizkitday4eva
You know suicide is just as bad as killing yourself



Taco Man of the Jhonen Vasquez/Invader Zim Club. PM HolyWars90 to join
Ticket48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:18 PM   #1186
uhh_me?
schmendrick.
 
uhh_me?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Off Jill
Preacher isn't special because of the scatalogical humor or the over the top violence, its because of how well developed Jesse's relationship with Tulip and Cassidy is. Because of the flashback to Vietnam told by Jesse's dad's best friend, because Garth Ennis writes the most satisfying endings in comic book history... Take Hitman and The Boys for example. The other stuff was icing on the cake. Unfortunately he doesn't seem to get that anymore either. Some of his newer work just retreads old ground without the heart.

Plus his sense of humor has never been as childish as say Grant Morrison's or Warren Ellis. And those two guys are considered greats, too.

And since you trash talked my man Ennis, I gotta say that Prophet is awful. I read the first three trades and hated it. I trades them for Locke and Key hardcovers. Best decision I ever made.

Actually, its probably not bad. I just had a hard time following along or caring about the John Prophets. But it did leave me in the mood for a good science fiction story so I bought the Library Editions of Fear Agent. Which is gorgeous, by the way.

When I saw that you were back, which I'm really glad you are, I knew you'd respond to my calling out of Preacher.

For me, most of the emotional underpinnings (Jesse/Tulip, Jesse/his father) don't always ring true. Generally, the Jesse/Tulip relationship is stronger, to me, than the Jesse and his father's "be a good, strong man" parts, but ultimately Ennis' attempts to shock the reader with how far he's willing to push his jokes (the penis head guy, etc) undercut a lot of what works.

That's the primary difference between him and a guy like Morrison or Ellis. Their moments of juvenile humor, while not only feeling fewer and further between, appears to be in service of something larger - namely, playing with a highbrow/lowbrow dichotomy and comic book conventions and expectations.

Gotta say, I'm a little surprised that you weren't into Prophet since the world, alien, and character design, not to mention storytelling methods feel pretty heavily indebted to Jodorowsky and Moebius' comic work. Y'know and the feeling of being dropped into this entirely foreign world without a lot of handholding.
uhh_me? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:41 AM   #1187
Jack Off Jill
Is Voting MakinLattes.
 
Jack Off Jill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Elmo's World.
I know, I was shocked that I didn't like it too. The whole time I kept thinking, "this is something Moebius would draw." A guy at my local shop suggested it based on the stuff I usually read. I dunno, I actually it's the severe lack of dialogue. I can't stand thhat much description in a comic, you know? Its probably why I hate Alan Moore so much.

I disagree with Ellis and Morrison though. I mean, Transmetropolitan was certainly more juvenile than Preacher and I don't think it has much more to say. Like, both books were really just expressing something a thirteen year old who just bought his first Tool and Rage Against the Machine records would express. Like religion is stupid and government is corrupt or whatever. But I still like it. That said I also loved JTHM, so maybe I'm just a bit juvenile myself. And I dunno if you ever read The Filth... But Jesus, it almost offended even me.

Yeah, this will probably be the only thread I post in. I dunno why I never did before. I go to the comic shop every week.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.

Last edited by Jack Off Jill : Today at 02:45 AM.
Jack Off Jill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:39 AM   #1188
homeless-john
authentic kung fu action
 
homeless-john's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Glasgow
Quote:
Originally Posted by uhh_me?
Not a huge fan of Preacher. Read it when I first got serious about comics and can't imagine ever going back to it without massive diminishing returns. And the returns weren't great in the first place!

To me, the whole thing, especially Ennis' writing, feels really juvenile. Shock gags work once, not over 60some issues. The emotional components rang pretty hollow. It always worries me when someone suggests it as a way of demonstrating that comics are more than just Superman and X-Men.

Just going back to this seeing as Preacher is being talked about again.

The whole thing is pretty juvenile, I can't deny that. There are pages dedicated to a guy's head looking a bit like a penis. There's a character called Arse Face. I think there's something to it though. Usually I'm turned off my that "edge for the the sake of being edgy" style but I don't think Preacher is that. It's well written and it knows when to tone it down or turn it up. Jack Off Jill hit the nail on the head when he said it was satisfying.

I wouldn't hold up Preacher to say "this is a testament to what comics can do as an art form" or any bullshit like that. I would hold up Preacher to say "if you want to read a fun comic check this shit, you might enjoy it".

On the subject of "edgy" comics, I went back to some of the early Ultimate X-Men stuff and damn, every character is just an asshole. Not in the good way either.
__________________

PSN: leo-da-bam
Steam ID: chunkadelic
homeless-john is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:23 AM.

Forum Archives / About / Terms of Use / Advertise / Contact / Ultimate-Guitar.Com © 2014
Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.