Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-01-2013, 11:34 AM   #1
BjarnedeGraaf
UG's Fatty McFat

Volume Knob problem

Hi, I'm not sure where I had to post this so sorry if I'm at the wrong section.

I have an Epiphone SG Goth (pictures on my profile and 1 of my Volume knobs keeps falling off.
Ever since that happened when I switch pickups the sound is very soft when it comes out of my amp,
After strumming a few times it goes back to the volume I had originally set it on without me touching any volume switch whatsoever.
The volume knob still works fine though when I want to turn it down or up a bit.

How do i get my volume knob back on in a way that it will stay the hell on my guitar?

My beginner rig:

Epiphone Goth G-400
Line 6 Spider IV (Don't judge me, I was young and stupid)
Stagg SW203N
BjarnedeGraaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 11:50 AM   #2
MrFlibble
Puts a bangin' donk on it

Sounds like the control has gotten a bit worn out or jerked about, and has worked loose. See if you can take the knob itself off, tighten the nuts and washers around the pot shaft and get the knob back on. Then open up the back and see if the connections around that pot look okay. Once everything seems to be stable, tight and connected properly, check how the volume control reacts. If the problem persists even after you've made sure everything is stable, you know the problem is within the pot itself, and the pot will need to be replaced; new Alpha or JS pots (the brands that Epiphone use) are very cheap and replacing a volume control is the easiest task.
Old 02-01-2013, 01:46 PM   #3
BjarnedeGraaf
UG's Fatty McFat

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFlibble
Sounds like the control has gotten a bit worn out or jerked about, and has worked loose. See if you can take the knob itself off, tighten the nuts and washers around the pot shaft and get the knob back on. Then open up the back and see if the connections around that pot look okay. Once everything seems to be stable, tight and connected properly, check how the volume control reacts. If the problem persists even after you've made sure everything is stable, you know the problem is within the pot itself, and the pot will need to be replaced; new Alpha or JS pots (the brands that Epiphone use) are very cheap and replacing a volume control is the easiest task.

I opened up the back and the black cable was a little bit rusty so i cut that bit off and hooked it back on, it doesnt give me the volume problems anymore now, thanks.

the only thing is now that the volume knob just keeps falling off, so do I have to replace it or is there a way for me to press it on so it stays on? (a friend of mine suggested glue lol, but im not gnna use glue on a guitar >.<)

My beginner rig:

Epiphone Goth G-400
Stagg SW203N
Old 02-01-2013, 04:14 PM   #4
GOLDIE93

If it is a split post type of volume pot, you can GENTLY spread it apart a little to make the knob stay on tighter. I stress the word GENTLY because the first time I tried it I pushed a bit too hard and one of the sides broke off.
Old 02-03-2013, 08:32 AM   #5
BjarnedeGraaf
UG's Fatty McFat

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLDIE93
If it is a split post type of volume pot, you can GENTLY spread it apart a little to make the knob stay on tighter. I stress the word GENTLY because the first time I tried it I pushed a bit too hard and one of the sides broke off.

okay thanks I will try that :-)

My beginner rig:

Epiphone Goth G-400
Stagg SW203N

Rate This Thread: