Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Gear Building & Customizing
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 06-21-2013, 02:47 PM   #1
dietermoreno

Looking for diy noise gate kit

Looking for diy noise gate kit.

Where to look?

I couldn't find anything by Googling, maybe some people (me) are just bad at using Google.

I want a kit because I think it would be best because (1) less chance of me messing up because I'm new to electronics and (2) I don't want to have to spend weeks trying to find all the components.

The objective is to attenuate static that is heard from my passive pickups when my guitar volume and amp volume is turned all the way up and I'm trying to play a clean lead line and I want to clean up the muddy staticy tone.

The objective of buying a kit instead of a pedal: hopefully its cheaper, if its not cheaper then tell me and I'll give up.

Last edited by dietermoreno : 06-21-2013 at 02:48 PM.
dietermoreno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 02:55 PM   #2
Robbgnarly

You can get Boss NS-2, MXR Smart Gate for $50 used

Where are you located?
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Robbgnarly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 03:03 PM   #3
dietermoreno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbgnarly
You can get Boss NS-2, MXR Smart Gate for $50 used

Where are you located?

Illinois.

So then I'll take it that if I can't find it then it doesn't exist and give up and buy a pedal.

Well can you please tell me where I can find it for $50 used? I'm used to the $199 models at Guitar Center and Sam Ash so that's why I said I can't afford it, but $50 is much more reasonable.
Old 06-21-2013, 03:33 PM   #4
Robbgnarly

Go to the GC used site www.guitarcenter.com/usedgear and type it in the search bar to the left of the screen.

I bought my MXR Smart Gate from them used for $50 and they typically have a few NS-2's for $40-45

NS pedals are actually very complex and I don't know of any diy kits you can get
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Robbgnarly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 03:33 PM   #5
PSimonR
PSR

This appears to be an odd thing to want to do. For live work the general hubbub of the venue hide the noise and for recording VSTs and automation take care of it.

http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/lgbt/
PSimonR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 08:30 PM   #6
dietermoreno

Okay thanks!

So I don't have to pay for shipping from New York (the current person selling the MXR noise gate lives in New York) I could also try asking on local musician forums on Facebook and giving this link as a reference price of how much I think its worth.

Not that is matters, but to the person that said that noise gates aren't necessary for live performances, I'm not in a band its just me playing my guitar in my music room and I want to hear a better tone live (in my room).

Yes indeed, the same song that I was trying to emulate the tone of and I was too noisy, when I heard that song by that band live 3 weeks ago I found out that they sounded the same noisy tone as me live! (just they of course know how to play guitar better than me, but the tone is very similiar)

Well its also possible that the venue where I heard that band play that song (Penny Rd Pub in South barington, IL) just makes everyone suck.

Last edited by dietermoreno : 06-24-2013 at 08:38 PM.

Rate This Thread: