Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-01-2013, 07:37 PM   #21
Templar0220

Just to let you guys know i switched back to just using my index, not the two fingers like i showed you. Its just not as comfortable. I just think i might have been overusing/playing too hard. But if any problems continue ill be sure to let you know.
Templar0220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 07:50 PM   #22
B&J

Robben Ford plays the pick the other way around.... just saying. Matter of taste i guess
B&J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 11:39 PM   #23
Templar0220

ugh... still having somewhat of an issue. My index is still getting sore (I think a lot of it has to do with when i practice upstrokes). I tried the whole "closed hand" technique like how Mustaine and others use it but it just feels awkward. Yea it helps support my finger but It doesnt feel the same. I can get good control and speed with just my index but like I said for some reason it gets sore and it looks like my finger is bending inwards. Idk what to do this is frustrating..
Old 02-02-2013, 08:42 AM   #24
MaaZeus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Templar0220
ugh... still having somewhat of an issue. My index is still getting sore (I think a lot of it has to do with when i practice upstrokes). I tried the whole "closed hand" technique like how Mustaine and others use it but it just feels awkward. Yea it helps support my finger but It doesnt feel the same. I can get good control and speed with just my index but like I said for some reason it gets sore and it looks like my finger is bending inwards. Idk what to do this is frustrating..

I did say it feels wierd at first, especially palm mutes felt very awkward for me. But if you keep doing it, you'll get over it after few days. Now having an open hand feels wierd and loose fist feels more natural to me.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Peavey Valveking 100 MESA MOD
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
MaaZeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 09:39 PM   #25
Templar0220

Ok so ive been experimenting more with this and here are some pics below. Im trying the loose fist feel and I can see i working out but as you can see I like to use my pinky to help give support to my hand, always have. Is this a bad idea? Also, if I keep my fingers 'too' relaxed, my ring finger will touch the strings (you can see how close it is in the pics) and idk if I should let it do that or not. I just want my technique to be set in so i can focus on playing and getting better so I really hope I can just find my way here. You guys are pretty much my only source of help here as I dont really know any great guitar players around here that or any that will be willing to show me for free. I dont want to have to drive to the nearest city just to pay $60 on a lesson just to get something small like this fixed.

http://i1303.photobucket.com/albums...zpsa305d618.jpg

http://i1303.photobucket.com/albums...zps36936262.jpg
Old 02-04-2013, 12:37 AM   #26
Funk Monk
Shutup N' Play Yer Guitar

Do what's comfortable in my opinion. Although I must also say that flat-picking can be taxing on your wrist, so once you reach a comfortable grip make sure you are hitting the string at an angle, which can be a bit confusing at first.
Old 02-04-2013, 12:52 AM   #27
Templar0220

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funk Monk
Do what's comfortable in my opinion. Although I must also say that flat-picking can be taxing on your wrist, so once you reach a comfortable grip make sure you are hitting the string at an angle, which can be a bit confusing at first.

well I always pick with an angle thats not a problem. I have to say im a bit embarrassed, ive been playing guitar on and off for years and ive always been having to figure out what ive been doing wrong in order to progress. I mean, ill never quit, but god is it really frustrating and discouraging. I understand the whole do whats comfortable, but some times what seems comfortable to me i eventually find to be holding me back in some way. Thats why im pretty serious about getting this solid.
Old 02-04-2013, 01:32 AM   #28
Funk Monk
Shutup N' Play Yer Guitar

I understand completely man, when I first began playing I was actually flat-picking everything and got good at it but realized I had develop a really bad habit. Had to re-learn everything when it comes to my picking hand, but now i'm a much better player with really good picking habits.

At the end of the day the goal is BALANCE. For most of us at least.
Old 02-04-2013, 06:57 AM   #29
Freepower
v It's Back! :D

Looks good. Don't forget, a lot of this stuff isn't really that big a deal. If you find your ring finger on the strings causes problems, just change your position a little until it isn't.
Freepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:36 AM   #30
Templar0220

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freepower
Looks good. Don't forget, a lot of this stuff isn't really that big a deal. If you find your ring finger on the strings causes problems, just change your position a little until it isn't.

Thanks again Freepower!
Old 02-05-2013, 05:07 PM   #31
Templar0220

Back again, just something I noticed that's kind of odd is I was looking at photos of me playing guitar from years ago and I was holding the pick in the normal straight thumb on index finger way. Somewhere along the road my picking hand shifted to more of a bent thumb kind of thing because I was using a smaller pick. Then last year I tried correcting this with a new pick and keeping my thumb straight. And now I'm having this issue with my index where my thumb pressing down on my index with the pic makes it sore. I never had this issue until now. What id like to know is what the hell was I doing in the past that suddenly changed and is now a problem O_o. This is crazy

I should also note that I work on a computer all day and im considering the fact that I have to use my index to click a mouse all day might be wearing out my index as well. Ive using my middle finger for this lately to give my index a rest but maybe this could be a possibility as well.

Last edited by Templar0220 : 02-05-2013 at 07:46 PM.

Rate This Thread: