Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Songwriting & Lyrics > Songwriting & Lyrics Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-31-2013, 03:40 PM   #1
Brotherbrodude

Concept Albums

So, Who has written a concept album with their lyrics? Share your stories, track listings, individual songs if you want. I have only written one, called Devil's Island, about a man who gets in a plane crash on a deserted island, the "Devil's Island" and must traverse through the island, is captured by Satan, and must escape.
Brotherbrodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 05:28 PM   #2
Chickenboot

I'm in the process of writing a concept album about an ancient civilization whose monarch is overthrown by her corrupted brother. The original monarch goes insane and becomes possessed by a cursed jewel and survives being killed by her brother, only to kill him and the entire population of the civilization. It's called All Seeing Eye.
Chickenboot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 05:28 PM   #3
mikemellen94

This is my band's concept album that we recently released, check it out and let me know what you think.

http://valleyhaze.bandcamp.com/

Here is the story to go along with it, it is based off of my personal life...

1) Intro (Pure Imagination) – Welcome, sets up story

2) The Empire – Introduction to main character’s view of the world as a twisted king of an empire who has the answers to time and space

*Time starts going backwards*

3) The Valley – Introduces love of main character’s life and their struggle for happiness as a result of their individual problems

4) Lady Colored Black (Valley ii) – Introduces “Lady”, a person struggling with the reality of life

5) Calling All Oblivion – The main character’s struggle with life after the death of an unknown (to this point) person. This shows the reason for the previous struggles

*Flashback to a time before the unknown funeral*

6) Saints of Desporait (Valley iii) – The main character is observing his mother and father’s suffering relationship and his mother’s turn to religion

7) Isotein – The main character’s father commits suicide, which reveals who the unknown funeral was for

*Back to present day*

8) Far Away – Closing thoughts of the main character’s mom and dad and how nobody could understand his mindset except for him, because each mind is a product of unique circumstance.

The album follows a description of the most important people in one man’s life during the year immediately following the suicide of his father. It can be considered a concept album, the ‘concept’ is how the mindset of an individual is formed through interaction with the ones we love and acknowledgement of the ones we’ve lost.

Last edited by mikemellen94 : 01-31-2013 at 05:31 PM.
mikemellen94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 03:12 PM   #4
Brotherbrodude

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemellen94
let me know what you think.

Sounds great man. Really good. Me and my friend are actually going to release an acoustic cover album soon called Black Of Night: Shadows on Graves. Our band name is Horror Show.
Old 02-04-2013, 03:16 PM   #5
Brotherbrodude

I take it you have no free downloads? Lol. I'm just poor, and it sounds awesome.
Old 02-04-2013, 03:17 PM   #6
Brotherbrodude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickenboot
I'm in the process of writing a concept album about an ancient civilization whose monarch is overthrown by her corrupted brother. The original monarch goes insane and becomes possessed by a cursed jewel and survives being killed by her brother, only to kill him and the entire population of the civilization. It's called All Seeing Eye.

Like a badass victorian thing. Nice
Old 02-05-2013, 11:13 PM   #7
mikemellen94

We have free downloads on the bandcamp page, just type 0 dollars for the amount you want to pay! Thanks man, glad you enjoyed it. I'll have to keep updated on your band status, looking forward to the acoustic album
mikemellen94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 03:02 AM   #8
cubs
x

*moved to techniques*
Old 02-07-2013, 05:58 PM   #9
Chickenboot

I meant to include this in my original response, but if you're interest in hearing my tracks as I finish them, here's the link to my soundcloud account:

https://soundcloud.com/cody-robertson-7
Chickenboot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 02:11 AM   #10
burpo

I did with a collaborator. It was the soundtrack to a kids' cartoon we made up.

Just search youtube for "girlband burpo" and you should see most of it.
burpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 03:01 PM   #11
Brotherbrodude

It's been a while since I've been on this thread. Any new contributions?
Old 08-27-2013, 07:07 PM   #12
azrael4h

I've partially written a few songs which would fit together in a concept album. I'm working on other priorities however. Notably, stopping buying guitars so often that I run out of room for them, and building a studio to record in.

The concept is basically centering around a person losing faith and going into depression and isolation, eventually being pulled back out by the grace of God. Amusingly, one of the songs I have is heavily influenced by Black Sabbath. Because when writing an ultimately Christian-themed song, you look straight towards a band known for satanic imagery and dark music for inspiration.
azrael4h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 01:19 AM   #13
Jes Johnson

Lol, I think it'd be cool to write a concept album. But truth be told, I don't think my attention span could handle it.
Jes Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: