Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 06-12-2014, 12:21 PM   #21
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.

^ Again, the problem I see with that 10000 hours is that it doesn't take into account how you practice and what is concidered practicing. Also, it doesn't define what being great means.

Practicing efficiently for an hour every day will definitely improve your technique a lot.

I think you will improve a lot faster if you know what you want to achieve and are motivated - you don't just practice for the sake of practicing or for the sake of getting better. If you notice that you aren't that great with chords, you start practicing chords. And if you notice that you aren't that accurate/fast, you start practicing speed. And you also find the most efficient ways - something that inspires you to practice and doesn't feel boring and make you want to stop playing.

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez Blazer
Digitech RP355
MXR Micro Chorus
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Hartke HyDrive 210c

Last edited by MaggaraMarine : 06-12-2014 at 12:26 PM.
MaggaraMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 01:11 PM   #22
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

^ Agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mole351

D'oh!

Just a general consensus I've gotten from reading message boards honestly...especially around here (between here and the technique board). Seems everyone's practicing 3-10 hours a day like its nothing and necessary, and practice an hour a day just to "keep your chops up" or maintain. Again...I WISH I had that amount of time.

I was on here a good bit the first half of last year as well, and between that and the past month here that's the general takeaway.

Yeah... you just kind of have to be careful what you read. A lot of people say a lot of things, kind of thing.

I'm not saying that hours upon hours of good quality practice (if you're the type of person who can accomplish that) won't bring results, because it will- but I don't think it's absolutely necessary. And I wouldn't let someone else (who's different from me, who maybe practises differently and who maybe progresses at a different rate) tell me I'm wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempoe
1 hr is not that much IMO, only 350hrs a year. At that rate, 20 years to be decent for most. As they say 10,000 hrs, so if you could go for 3 hrs a day, in 10 years you should be great

I disagree.

As I said, there have been a lot of criticisms of that book.

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 01:52 PM   #23
Black_devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempoe
1 hr is not that much IMO, only 350hrs a year. At that rate, 20 years to be decent for most. As they say 10,000 hrs, so if you could go for 3 hrs a day, in 10 years you should be great

I honestly think that 10,000 hours of practice theory is a bunch of bull. For instance what happens if a person practice those 10,000 hours, but it wasn't quality practice.. I don't care how long people practice a day it just won't make you better trying to squeeze in so many hours a day like 5+. There's so many people out there that practice for 7+ hours a day, and wonder why they're not even making improvements within their guitar playing. It's quality over quantity 10 minutes out of my practice schedule will lead to better results than those players practicing for 7+ hours a day.

There is a thing called over practicing, and not to mention that if you are practicing for a vigorous amount of hours a day you'll tend to burn yourself out with the guitar. At most my practice schedules can end up to be 4 hours long, but even then that's super rare, and those hours are all quality. Even practicing 3 hours a day is pushing it if you ask me when you focus on the task at hand it tends to drain you mentally.

I should know this I usually come out of my practice sessions mentally exhausted it's so bad to the point that I have to take an hour nap. How the hell can these people make it 7+ hours a day of practicing, and not feel mentally exhausted by the third or 4th hour? I'll tell you how they're half assing everything they do not even paying attention to the detail of how they're playing, and then they end up calling that "practice". It pisses me off because any real musician out there that knows what they're doing will tell you that practicing that many hours a day is completely pointless, and you'll end up burning yourself out by the end of the week. Sometimes I even have to take a good week off of guitar playing every once in a while to regain my energy..

There's plenty of pro musicians that don't even have that much time to practice sure they might be playing a lot, but there's a difference between practicing and playing. The whole point of practicing is to push yourself beyond the level of playing you're at, and playing the same shit over, and over again tends not to help you progress.

I call a bluff with that 10,000 hour bull crap I've seen people that have been playing for years not even reach an intermediate level, and I've met people that have been playing for 2 years on an advanced levels it's all about your approach, and how you learn things because all people learn in different ways.

Last edited by Black_devils : 06-16-2014 at 08:09 AM.
Black_devils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 03:16 PM   #24
reverb66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_devils

I call a bluff with that 10,000 hour bull crap I've seen people that have been playing for years not even reach an intermediate level, and I've met people that have been playing for 2 years on an advanced levels it's all about your approach, and how you learn things because all people learn in different ways.

I've never met anyone who consistently practiced over 2 hours a day and wasn't a good or great player. There are plenty of people who have been playing for years who are terrible, but they don't practice 2 hours a day or more, they barely practice at all.

In my view, practice/play 3 hours a day or more and you will be a great player, barring any inherent deficiencies for music. I can't think of a single great player that didn't put in some serious hours of playing.
reverb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 05:40 PM   #25
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

Can I do my usual bet-hedging thing and say I sort of agree with both of you?

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 03:05 PM   #26
Iwalkalone11

what ever u practice...practice everyday!
Iwalkalone11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 04:25 PM   #27
austhrax

1 hour a day is a lot of practice time,wouldn't u prefer to just play music,sounds like u are a pretty good guitar player already,good on u for getting back into it
austhrax is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: