Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Recordings
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-05-2013, 09:38 AM   #1
dany_100

what to do with 1 studio monitor

i've got an apretunity to buy a single monitor realy cheap, samson resolov 80a for 50$ used.
what kind of configurations a single monitor could be used?
dany_100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 09:44 AM   #2
kyle62
Need a dispenser here!

All sorts of stuff. A single 8" active speaker would be very handy for checking your mixes in mono and generally having an extra point of reference.

It's not really suitable as a grotbox, but for $50 you'll have the added security of an extra speaker to cross-check your mixes. The adjustable midrange on the Resolv could come in handy for approximating a typical hi-fi speaker too.

Head honcho at Stubborn Sound!
https://soundcloud.com/stubbornsound
kyle62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:35 AM   #3
dany_100

should it be used as a substitute for my speakers(really cheap 30$ creative) putted below my computer as center or mono play?
or maybe i could buy the second pair and fix my problem(has to be the same model?)
Old 02-07-2013, 02:16 PM   #4
dany_100

bump
Old 02-07-2013, 02:22 PM   #5
T4D
20 guitars and counting..

Quote:
Originally Posted by dany_100
bump

dude what do you want ? .. your a artist, Be creative ...

I got Protools, Eleven Rack & lots of other stuff.
T4D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:13 PM   #6
dany_100

thanks bro ^^
what if i just use it as a sub? should i worry about the tweeter receving low-freq sounds?
is there other 50$ subs alternatives that sound better?
Old 02-08-2013, 08:26 PM   #7
DisarmGoliath
Disarms Goliaths

Erm... no offence but is there any reason you think it would work well as a sub, other than the fact that it puts out an audio signal? I mean, if it's not designed as a subwoofer how is it going to be any better than your other monitors?

You do realise the whole point of a sub is to have a single speaker (in most cases) that performs especially well in the very low end (i.e sub-50Hz). If you're using a standard reference monitor, which probably begins to roll off at around 50Hz, how are you going to benefit? All you're going to do is ruin your stereo image, and do you even have a crossover system of any kind (whether in your interface or not) to send the right signal to the sub?

Sending low frequency signals to the monitor won't damage it, but it's a pretty pointless task if you're expecting it to work in the same way a typical subwoofer will.

The second question ('are there any alternatives in the price range?') suggests you are placing far too much importance on a subwoofer in a system - most people on here don't use one, because in a small home studio there's very little point in having one unless you make hip hop and need to hear the sub bass clearly to make 'for club' mixes.

Music Stuff

Facebook - Website - YouTube

DisarmGoliath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:48 PM   #8
dany_100

DisarmGoliath thank you for your answer,but the main question of this thread remains, is there a real reason to spend 50$ on a single monitor? maybe complemented with a pair of Behringer TRUTH B1030A somehow?(should be noted that a pair of the samson monitors would retale for 500$ in my region)
Old 02-08-2013, 08:54 PM   #9
DisarmGoliath
Disarms Goliaths

Only benefit I see is you can A/B between your stereo pair, and a mono source to check how the mix translates in mono (or if you're one of those strange people that like to start off their mix in mono and get a balance, then start panning things out after they have the mono mix sounding balanced).

I mean, I have a second pair of monitors I A/B between, but if I wanna check mono compatibility I can set Logic's main output to mono instead of stereo and get the mix in mono anyway (and you should be able to in any major DAW) so I wouldn't personally bother with it.

It's one of those things all us engineers often seem to do - see a good deal on something and buy it, then realise we didn't actually need it and have wasted money, even if it was a good value waste of money

Music Stuff

Old 02-10-2013, 10:53 AM   #10
dany_100

thanks for the answer.
I've actually found 2 possible reasons to buy:
i can away from my computer and play with it when i play songs on the guitar or if i just want to listen to songs from "afar", the speaker is better then the truths and way better then my creative a300.
or i could put it as center speaker and adjust the volume according to the other speakers.
Old 02-10-2013, 11:00 AM   #11
FireHawk
All Hail Ze Llama!

Just mix in mono. It will be revolutionary.
FireHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 11:24 AM   #12
DisarmGoliath
Disarms Goliaths

TS, don't take this the wrong way but why do you actually want a centre speaker? They serve no benefit, unless you're mixing in 5.1+ surround sound (which you're not) and if anything will only mess up your stereo image meaning it is harder to judge how wide things are panned.

The other use, that's up to you, but I think you might be inventing uses because you want to buy it at a good price, rather than buying at a good price to meet your needs.

Music Stuff

Old 02-10-2013, 09:17 PM   #13
roaraudio

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisarmGoliath
TS, don't take this the wrong way but why do you actually want a centre speaker? They serve no benefit, unless you're mixing in 5.1+ surround sound (which you're not) and if anything will only mess up your stereo image meaning it is harder to judge how wide things are panned.

The other use, that's up to you, but I think you might be inventing uses because you want to buy it at a good price, rather than buying at a good price to meet your needs.

^ you have seemes to figure out his true agenda. I was thibking the same.
Having a third centre monitor makes no sense at all.

If you end up getting it use it soley as a mono speaker you can use to reference your mixes. Having the ability to do this drastically improves your balances.

Again... Don't get a centre speaker.. Especially seeing as the frequency response differs between brands and models. It will make gery a terribly inaccurate representation of your stereo field in all 3 dinensions.
roaraudio is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: