Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Acoustic & Classical Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 09-16-2013, 07:57 PM   #1
indianriver

Lessons, Wheel of Fifths...

I plan on signing up for lessons at the local music shop starting Oct. 1st. Until then all I have to rely on is the internet which has it's ups and downs. I have no problem learning chords but that is just root memorization which I am good at. Practicing for 1-2 hours a day is getting me faster at changing between chords. Before I lay my money down I plan to ask the shop " What are you going to teach me? ". I want to know what I will get for my money. A fella I know said that I should try and learn the wheel of fifths. He said it is a must. Although I believe this is a way down the road, should I look for an instructor who will dabble in the wheel and theory? If I am not going to compose or join a band how important is this? I plan to just play for my own enjoyment. Also, I have been trying to do some finger exercises that will increase my reach. I found one exercise called " the worm " and it looks like it will help increase my finger reach but I tell you it hurts like hell. Is this a proper exercise or does anyone know of others that will help and be less painful? I know the old saying no pain, no gain. Thanks in advance for your feedback.

On the up side, I have learned to play the Bass part of the theme song for Barney Miller.The first thing out of my guitar that actually sound like something other than a bare chord, lol.

Last edited by indianriver : 09-16-2013 at 08:03 PM.
indianriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 06:24 AM   #2
stepchildusmc

i don't even know how to play the barney Miller theme !
if you want to build finger strength and dexterity as well as note recognition, i'd suggest just sarting with simple scales. i started with the basic blues scales and 1234 scale. then on to pentatonic etc.etc...
i'm sure there are plenty of lessons out there like the "worm"( i've never heard of it) but the tried and true methods are still the best.
if your getting chord changes down a bit, try some simple songs. Radioactive by Imagine Dragons is probably one of the simplest songs out there( and quite catchy too) as long as you have a capo. same 4 chords throughout the song and it's slow enough that the changes are pretty easy.
Old 09-17-2013, 04:34 PM   #3
tuxs

The circle of fifths is used to find probable chords. Just say you have figured out a song key,
and scale, but you don't know the other chords. And lets say that key is A, well the six chords around the A on the circle are the probable chords. Anyways you have a shit load to learn before that. Try justinguitar.com and freeguitarsource.com both excellent sites. Cheers
tuxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 09:40 PM   #4
Captaincranky

You'll actually run across working examples of the "circle of fifths", as you learn songs.

And BTW, read backwards it's the "circle of fourths.

Country music is described as, "three chords and the truth". Those three chords are based on the three major chords of any major key. The tonic (1), sub dominant (4), and dominant (5).

Those three chords fall on the 1st, 4th, & 5th notes of the scale.

So, all you do is count up the scale, to determine which 3 chords those are.

In G major G (1st), C (4th), & D (5th).

In E major they would be E (1st), A (4th), & B (5th).

Pick any letter,and call it "I", then count up to the 4th and 5th letters above it in the alphabet to get the 3 chords of any key.

A, B, [C (I)], D, E, [F (IV)] , [G (V)] , A, B, C, D, E, F, G, A (Chords for C major are in bold and brackets).

After that it gets deep as you learn how to form the chords from a scale. Then there's the messy, minor key thing, with multiple scales. (natural, harmonic, & melodic).

But, you can figure out most of a shitload of songs, just by knowing the 1, 4, & 5 chords of the key of the song.

These are usually expressed in Roman Numerals. So then, "I, IV, V". (1, 4, 5)

And yes, for simplicities sake, I completely ignored and sharps of flats, only giving the natural notes of C major.

Last edited by Captaincranky : 09-17-2013 at 09:43 PM.
Captaincranky is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: