Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Gear Building & Customizing
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-10-2014, 09:56 AM   #921
Firewind Raging
Guitar Face Emperor

High gain pickups for PRS SE Singlecut

Hey guys, I'm looking to upgrade the pickups in my PRS SE Fredrik Akesson and I was looking for some ideas. There's nothing really "wrong" with the PRS designed 245 pickups, but since they're only "designed" by PRS it might be worth looking into. I read the first page of the thread, and a few of the suggestions seemed to jump out:

Bridge: Seymour Duncan Full Shred or Bareknuckle Miracle Man
Neck: Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates or Bareknuckle Cold Sweat

OR I could just go with PRS 57/08 pickups that are on the USA singlecuts?

I'm looking for a moderate-to-high-gain sound, along the lines of Opeth/Alter Bridge with some smooth leads from the neck.

Any ideas?
BOSS TU-2
Firewind Raging is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 06:25 PM   #922
Firewind Raging
Guitar Face Emperor

Should I just make a thread then? Nobody here seems to be answering.
BOSS TU-2
Old 01-14-2014, 01:06 PM   #923
-MintSauce-
Time Lord

AFIK, the Seymour Duncan combo should do what you need, but I don't have any hands-on experience with any of those pickups... hence not helping earlier.

What made you pick those two models?
-MintSauce- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 08:56 PM   #924
Firewind Raging
Guitar Face Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by -MintSauce-
AFIK, the Seymour Duncan combo should do what you need, but I don't have any hands-on experience with any of those pickups... hence not helping earlier.

What made you pick those two models?
Fair dos, was just wondering if I should post a thread or if it would get closed instantly.

It was mainly these points:

Full Shred (bridge):
-Good for metal, hard rock, classic rock, and shred.
-Great harmonics.
-Plays well in mahogany guitars.
-Really nice in the bridge position.
-Brings out good playing

Pearly Gates (neck):
-Great for blues, country, classic rock, and hard rock.
-Great for classic rock or a neck pickup paired with something higher gained

But the Bareknuckle pickups seem like more of a good fit on description alone:

Miracle Man (bridge):
-Really good gain for a passive.
-Has good cleans.
-Great for achieving a fairly high level of clarity with lots of overdrive.

Coldsweat (neck):
-Extremely versatile.
-Retains great clarity
BOSS TU-2
Old 01-14-2014, 09:10 PM   #925
Viban
UG's resident bum

What do you not like about your tone now? Is it too muddy, is it too thin? If you're looking for a moderate to high gain sound, use moderate to high gain on your amp.
Viban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 05:52 AM   #926
Firewind Raging
Guitar Face Emperor

It's not that I don't like it, just that I figure I can get something better since they're just "designed by PRS". Even if I just went with the USA PRS pickups it'd probably be a noticeable improvement right? Yeah I know to use moderate to high gain on the amp I like that the Bareknuckles seem to keep their clarity even at high gain, since that's what I play.
BOSS TU-2
Old 01-15-2014, 08:37 AM   #927
Viban
UG's resident bum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firewind Raging
It's not that I don't like it, just that I figure I can get something better since they're just "designed by PRS". Even if I just went with the USA PRS pickups it'd probably be a noticeable improvement right? Yeah I know to use moderate to high gain on the amp I like that the Bareknuckles seem to keep their clarity even at high gain, since that's what I play.

Well, if you're happy with it the way it is aside from what's written on the faceplate I'd say leave it be. If they were to get muddy at high gain or if they were to sound thin as could be or didn't have enough punch, and you couldn't remedy any of that with amp EQ or pickup height adjustments, then I would say upgrade them. Otherwise you're just throwing money at it for the sake of branding.
Old 01-15-2014, 08:56 AM   #928
-MintSauce-
Time Lord

Bear in mind that most pickups which keep their clarity at high gain are usually not super high output.

Anyway, if you're happy with the guitar right now, stick with it. If you're not and you have the money, try to find secondhand SD models on eBay and give them a whirl. They should work for you on paper, but you're the only person who's going to be able to decide whether they're great or not with your playing and your setup.
Old 01-15-2014, 03:48 PM   #929
Viban
UG's resident bum

Quote:
Bear in mind that most pickups which keep their clarity at high gain are usually not super high output.

Also this, I play on JCM900 with the gain and sensitivity dimed and it still rings out without being muddy or ice picky, and the amp has a pretty huge amount of gain. None of my guitars get muddy, I've got a douglas 727 (it's $200 from factory so quality is limited) and a B.C.Rich warbeast with BDSM pickups which are generally considered pretty bad, and a Fender starcaster with GFS lil' Killers which are budget single coil sized humbuckers, so really you should be ok with a set of PRS pickups.

Last edited by Viban : 01-15-2014 at 03:50 PM.
Old 01-15-2014, 07:56 PM   #930
Firewind Raging
Guitar Face Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viban
Well, if you're happy with it the way it is aside from what's written on the faceplate I'd say leave it be. If they were to get muddy at high gain or if they were to sound thin as could be or didn't have enough punch, and you couldn't remedy any of that with amp EQ or pickup height adjustments, then I would say upgrade them. Otherwise you're just throwing money at it for the sake of branding.
It doesn't have anything to do with the name of the pickups. If I can improve the sound I get from my guitar then why not?
Quote:

Anyway, if you're happy with the guitar right now, stick with it. If you're not and you have the money, try to find secondhand SD models on eBay and give them a whirl. They should work for you on paper, but you're the only person who's going to be able to decide whether they're great or not with your playing and your setup.
I don't necessarily need outrageously high gain pickups, but ones that can handle high gain from the amp would be preferable. I've started upgrading the guitar bit by bit, already put straplocks on it, so it makes sense to me to upgrade the pickups too. Doesn't it?
BOSS TU-2
Old 01-16-2014, 07:04 PM   #931
Viban
UG's resident bum

Quote:
It doesn't have anything to do with the name of the pickups. If I can improve the sound I get from my guitar then why not?

I didn't say it does, I just listed off some pickups that people are generally displeased at that maintain clarity at high gain regardless of their price and quality.

If there's nothing that you don't like now, then what is there to improve? Upgrading your pickups is just to remedy holes or particular parts of your sound that you don't like. If you can't name a part of your tone you don't like, it'll just be throwing money at something that wasn't a problem

Quote:
so it makes sense to me to upgrade the pickups too. Doesn't it?

Not really, Imagine you already have a nice set of rims on a car and you really like the look of them, then you put a bit of money into the engine, does it make sense to buy another set of rims that are "better" even if what you already have fills all of your criteria?
Old 01-20-2014, 04:04 PM   #932
Cing Krimson
Aldi Pesto is Best

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Electric-...=item3f2e86d0b6

I'm thinking of getting this kit guitar, but I'm not sure if those are mini humbuckers or normal ones? I think they are normal ones? I will probably replace those so can anyone recommend some that are not too pricey? thanks in advance.
Cing Krimson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 07:20 PM   #933
-MintSauce-
Time Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cing Krimson
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Electric-...=item3f2e86d0b6

I'm thinking of getting this kit guitar, but I'm not sure if those are mini humbuckers or normal ones? I think they are normal ones? I will probably replace those so can anyone recommend some that are not too pricey? thanks in advance.

They're definite mini humbuckers.

I have no idea what these are like, but IronGear pickups have a good reputation:
http://axetec.co.uk/guitar_parts_uk_079.htm
Old 01-30-2014, 08:29 PM   #934
YamiFrankc
Mexicano

Hello!
So im thinking of building a Warmoth guitar and im searching for pickups for it...

1-Type (brand and model) of guitar you're upgrading
Its a plain top soloist body made of Alder, it has no veneer or anything.
Maple neck with rosewood fingerboard. Wilkinson VS100 tremolo.

2-Current pickups the guitar has
None. But definitely I want an humbucker in the bridge and another in the neck.
Im not very sure yet whether I want just HH or HSH...

3- Current amplifier
Carvin V3M at home. At school I play in a jazz ensemble and we have solid state amps that we only play in the clean channel...

4-Desired tone (be specific)
I want a tone that works well for Hard Rock and Heavy metal.
I like the sound of bands like Black Sabbath, Deep Purple/Rainbow, Children of Bodom, Metallica(early), Helloween, and that kind. The lead tone of Steve Vai, Ritchie Blackmoore, Jason Becker, Morse and the alike are also of my liking.

I want something that can take distortion without becoming muddy and that have a powerful palm muted sound that can also work for 80s hard rock/glam metal and Har d blues. Instrumental metal/rock ... The clean sound just has to be decent.

So overall(I think) I want metal pickups that work well for rhythm and lead. I do not downtune often, if ever. I would not go much lower than D.

I have read in a lot of places that medium output pickups are the best to maintain clarity with high gain.

Options I have think of:
  • Dimarzio Dominion Bridge, Gravity Storm neck
I do not listen to Lamb of God a lot, but I kind of like the tone Mark Morton. Around the internet I have read that his pickup is very nice for everything metal rhythm and that it sounds aggressive and huge. Awesome sound for the lower strings... but some people say the higher ones sound thin... They talk well about the Gravity Storm, and say its a tamed version of past Vai pickups, specially in the high end. Seems like it would be perfect for solos.
  • Lace Sensor dually Red/Silver bridge and purple/emerald neck
I choose this one mainly because im interested in them for what they are(4 single coils). I heard someone playing the Red/Silver bridge and it sounded nice. But im worried that they wont quite work for what I want.
  • Seymour Duncan JB brigde, 59 or Jazz neck
I dont know much about SD, but this seems to be the standard hard rock/metal combo.

I did not include middle pickups because I know much about them.

What do you think?
Carvin 112 cab in White
YamiFrankc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 12:26 AM   #935
jad1097

Hey! So I bought a Dean Vendetta XM about a year to two ago, have never really used it until recently and really need to change the stock pickups

Dean Vendetta XM

Stock, which I couldn't really find much info on other than "DMT Design Pickups " So..
I like the stock pickups for the range of style, about it other than that they are horrible for me

3- Current amplifier
Marshall MG30DFX had this bad boy for 5 years now

For the bridge I want a pickup capable of playing anything from Sabbath to Metallica
for the neck I really want a nice clean bluesy sound for anything from zep to jimi

Options I am thinking of:
I was thinking for the bridge a EMG HZ-4 or a Seymour Duncan SH-6 distortion humbucker
For the neck...I'm not sure if I go with the SH-6 probably a '59 SH-1
But if I choose the HZ-4 Then I'm not sure, I read somewhere something about a DiMarzio gravity? or something like that.
I need your guys' opinions on two things, one what pickup goes good with a EMG HZ-4
What pickups should I get? Im on a budget so below 80 would be great
jad1097 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 12:30 AM   #936
thrashbass69

Fender mexistrat HSS

Stock,

3- Current amplifier
Roland Cube. To be soon upgraded to Marshall JVM 205C

Mainly a nice bright clean with the option of turning up the distortion

Options I am thinking of: Seymour Duncans or Dimarzios. I just dont know how to configure the single coils and what humbucker would match in the bridge. Price isnt an issue. Just want whatever the best configuration would be.

Last edited by thrashbass69 : 05-06-2014 at 12:34 AM.
thrashbass69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 09:18 AM   #937
Les Paulington

Right now i have a les paul standard with an alnico pro II slash in the neck and a pearly gates in the bridge and push pull pots on all knobs.

I have an old Ibanez that came with my beginner pack years ago when i started playing. It has s singles and a humbucker in he bridge. It's technically my first guitar, though my LP is my baby. I wanted to upgrade the pickups to a clear high clean tone. I use alot of distortion on my LP, but i wanted a guitar i can keep cleaner with a few chorus, delay, phase effects on it occasionally. I know alot about humbuckers, but not much about single coil and even less about matching 2 singles with a hum. My budget can run up to a few hundred but ideally id like to stay at $300 or below. I'd like higher suggestions though.

Lastly, is it even worth upgrading the old pups or should i be spending money on a strat and upgrading the pups later?

I have a crate 60 wat gtrSS and an egnator combo tube

Thanks for any help!

Last edited by Les Paulington : 06-12-2014 at 09:19 AM.
Les Paulington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 11:57 AM   #938
cabezza

I'm looking to change my guitar pickups, I've been reading this thread and it was very helpfull but I could really use some personal advise from you guys.

My guitar is an Epiphone SG-310, the body and neck are mahogany wood and it has the original pickups. I tune it in C (all strings are two whole steps lower) and use it primarily for playing metal. Here are some of the bands that I would like to to be able to sound like or get near of soundwise:
Russian Circles, Mastodon, Gojira, Agalloch, Opeth, The Sword, High On Fire.
My ideal would be to be able to play more agressive/faster stuff, doomy/stoner stuff, but to be also able to have a decent clean sound (in the style of Agalloch, Opeth) without losing the possibility of having a soft/hard rock jam with friends. I don't know if i'm asking too much lol.

I thought of maybe getting a more agressive pickup for the bridge and one with a nice clean tone on the neck. Because I tune so low I would like my neck pickup not to be too dark/bassy/opaque. I play in a 3 piece band where I rarely use the neck pup because theres too much "lowness" mixed with the bass player's sound.
One of the things I don't like about my actual pups it's that they lack attack and when I use distortion they tend to lack clarity in the sound. That's maybe the most important thing I want to change form my pups, the clarity of the sound when they get distorted.

For what i've been researching I was thinking in these pickups:
Black winter seymour duncan (bridge)
Emg 81 (neck)
Other options I liked where the Dimarzio D Activator or the Emg 85
I know the two EMG's are active and require a 9v battery wich I'm not really a fan of, if theres a better option in passive pups it would be better.

I'm a noob in the pickup world so if you could give me some advise it would be awesome.

thnx in advance!
cabezza is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: