Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-23-2012, 06:26 PM   #821
ibanezguitars44

If it don't say Marshall, I ain't havin it. You Aussies don't git it k? Go grill somthin with ur barbies or whatever. Yeeeeehawwww

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
ibanezguitars44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 06:37 PM   #822
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibanezguitars44
If it don't say Marshall, I ain't havin it. You Aussies don't git it k? Go grill somthin with ur barbies or whatever. Yeeeeehawwww
Well aren't you an advertiser's dream?
Randall RM100 & RM20
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Cathbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 08:08 PM   #823
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

i think he's trolling you cath (not the first guy, the ibanez dude i mean)

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 08:17 PM   #824
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech

I know; hence the
Randall RM100 & RM20
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Old 12-24-2012, 12:12 AM   #825
ibanezguitars44

hhahahahahaha

Cathbard I feel lke if I ever met you I'd give you a huge hug. So be ready for that....O_o

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Old 12-24-2012, 10:18 AM   #826
gregs1020
Hi mom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
The real deal? "Real deal"? Blow me.

you go girl.

hard to argue with that.
gregs1020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 01:19 PM   #827
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
I know; hence the

ah i missed that

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 04:01 PM   #828
bigblockelectra

How much is a good condition TSL122 worth? It looks like these were quite expensive when new 2000+. I have read about them being not so reliable. There is one I saw locally for $500 but it is about 175 miles away. It looks very nice but I want to know if it is worth it. I want another big tube amp for "stereo" sound.
bigblockelectra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 07:17 PM   #829
Ippon
Amped

TTT for Cath who loves his SLX 900 more than women!

Also, this page needs pics!

Field Marshall 7 strings/ERG Amps!
Ippon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 02:19 AM   #830
Ippon
Amped

I'd settle for a half stack.

Field Marshall 7 strings/ERG Amps!
Ippon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 08:14 AM   #831
Blompcube
Registered User Error

A halfstack... Like this?

It's a Late '70s 2204. Has a very sharp cutting sound with a very open and uncompressed response even on higher gain settings. Which is useful because It's actually ridiculously thin sounding unless you run the preamp gain on a very high setting and use the volume control on the guitar to adjust the level of gain. The bass really opens up at about 7-8 on the gain knob. Below that, it just sounds kinda weak, even with the bass turned up to 10.

It's not my amp, I've been borrowing it on and off since february though. It's not really the kind of sound I go for, but I can't deny that it's perfect for my classic rock covers band - it allows me to go from slightly edgy clean tones to full on hi-gain leads and everywhere in between by just using the controls on the guitar - no need for pedals.
Old 10-18-2015, 11:37 AM   #832
jerald_smith

I disagree on the MG Series... I've owned many different amps (not just Marshall) I've had tube amps and solid state amps and while tube amps definitely bring special elements to the table, there is something to be said for a good solid state amp as well.... I had little MG practice amp once. Of course by it's self it wasn't much but mic'd through a PA it sounded AWESOME!

I'd say that the poor quality in some MG's is not so much in the amp itself but in the low budget speakers that Marshall sometimes uses in their cheaper models. I would highly recommend an MG head... perhaps on a different cabinet however.

The lead guitar player in my band played an MG100 half stack years ago and wishes he still had it... He claims that he got a sustain from that amp that he has NEVER gotten from any other solid state.

Most "tube snobs" talk smack about solid state amps in order to justify spending three times more on a tube.... I will agree that tubes is nicer... but they aren't a THOUSAND dollars nicer! lol

I don't get where the MG series is overpriced either. They are pretty much in line with other solid states on the market.

If you can afford a good tube amp then go for it... but don't underestimate how a great a solid state amp can be.
jerald_smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 11:50 AM   #833
monwobobbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerald_smith
I disagree on the MG Series... I've owned many different amps (not just Marshall) I've had tube amps and solid state amps and while tube amps definitely bring special elements to the table, there is something to be said for a good solid state amp as well.... I had little MG practice amp once. Of course by it's self it wasn't much but mic'd through a PA it sounded AWESOME!

I'd say that the poor quality in some MG's is not so much in the amp itself but in the low budget speakers that Marshall sometimes uses in their cheaper models. I would highly recommend an MG head... perhaps on a different cabinet however.

The lead guitar player in my band played an MG100 half stack years ago and wishes he still had it... He claims that he got a sustain from that amp that he has NEVER gotten from any other solid state.

Most "tube snobs" talk smack about solid state amps in order to justify spending three times more on a tube.... I will agree that tubes is nicer... but they aren't a THOUSAND dollars nicer! lol

I don't get where the MG series is overpriced either. They are pretty much in line with other solid states on the market.

If you can afford a good tube amp then go for it... but don't underestimate how a great a solid state amp can be.

prepare for a shitstorm. ok you are entitled to your opinion. you'll forgive me if i ? your lead guitar players ears. ok he couldn't get good sustain from other crappy SS amps what does this prove exactly? sorry but amps like a Peavey Vypyr will mop up the flor with an MG for less money.
monwobobbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 07:53 PM   #834
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech

Quote:

Your definition of awesome is obviously different to mine

Quote:
I have heard many MG's through a 1960A and no, they still sound shit.

Quote:

It is as good as any other solid state amp is hardly a recomendation. I'm a snob because I value tone, have the money to spend on it and do? Seriously, just fuck off.

Quote:

Vypers, Valvetronix, Mustangs and any number of cheap, shitty SS amps are both better and cheaper.

Your poverty has nothing to do with the tone, cry all you like but a cheap, shitty SS amp is just a cheap shitty SS amp - even if its all you can afford. That's your problem, not ours. If I want to spend a couple of grand, I fucking well will and who are you to judge me on that?
Randall RM100 & RM20
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Old 10-18-2015, 09:06 PM   #835
ibanezguitars44

Lol cathbard I thought it was you that made the mg support post. I was thinking your trolling skills had achieved their final form.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Old 10-18-2015, 11:16 PM   #836
Domingo Gomez

I found this quite awesome.
P.S. I loved your profile picture
Domingo Gomez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 08:34 AM   #837
Blompcube
Registered User Error

Quote:

It's not "tube snobs" criticizing the MG, and the criticisms have nothing to do with the fact it's solid state, and everything to do with the fact it's a poor quality amp with brittle and sterile clean tones and harsh unmusical bees in a jam jar distortion. That is not what a good solid state amp sounds like.

Also, not all tube amps cost 3x as much as a Marshall MG, especially when you buy used. Last year I got a 1976 Fender Bassman 100 head for the same price as a brand new MG head

If I'd spent the same amount of money on an MG, I'd certainly be feeling the need to try to justify/validate the amount I had paid for it. I'd probably start by labeling people with better amps as "snobs"...

Rate This Thread: