Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-27-2013, 08:11 AM   #1
Butterfixx

Thinking of new guitar, any thoughts?

Hello boys and girls.

Recently ive had some problems with my other guitar mic's(no bass left in the bridge pickup and the sound fades faster than it should,and i have no idea what it can be,neither tools to fix it)...so i decided to look for a new one.
I found this one pretty recently Harley benton 1000vb progressive line and i am interested in hearing your thoughts on it based on the specs there, ive read some reviews on the other HB guitars and found alot of different answers regarding the quality of the guitars.
Butterfixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 08:18 AM   #2
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.

What is your current guitar?

I wouldn't buy a Harley Benton. They are like the cheapest guitars you can find. OK, it could be a decent starter guitar but you don't want another starter guitar, do you? It looks nice but that nice looking guitar for that cheap isn't something I would rely on.

Just spend some more money on the guitar and it will last longer.

What I would do is go to a music store and try some guitars.

So spend a bit more money. Having one good guitar is better than having five starter guitars.

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez Blazer
Digitech RP355
MXR Micro Chorus
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Hartke HyDrive 210c

Last edited by MaggaraMarine : 10-27-2013 at 08:21 AM.
MaggaraMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 08:30 AM   #3
Butterfixx

My Current one is a epiphone gothic explorer, can still play on it, but its so anoying that the bass is totaly gone in the mic.
My thoughts on buying that one was pretty much because of my budget right now, and the only places i play right now is at home and in a small rehearsal room with two buds.
Old 10-27-2013, 09:16 AM   #4
monwobobbo

do you mean pickup when you say mic? sounds like you either have a bad pickup or possibly a bad tone pot. chances are you'd be better off getting that fixed if you can't afford a truly "better" guitar. the one you are looking at probably isn't even as good as what you have.
monwobobbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 09:24 AM   #5
Butterfixx

Yeah i meant pickup, happend when i played one day, the pickup suddenly sounded different, all the bass dissapeared and the sound fades faster than the neck pickup.
Old 10-27-2013, 09:31 AM   #6
monwobobbo

needs new pickup then so that is what you should b looking to do.
monwobobbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 09:59 AM   #7
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.

It may also be your pickup selector or pots or some wiring issue. First find out what causes the problem. I see no reason in buying new stuff until you know what went wrong with your old guitar. It might be an easy fix and you may not even need to spend any money on anything.

So the problem happens only on your bridge pickup?

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez Blazer
Digitech RP355
MXR Micro Chorus
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Hartke HyDrive 210c

Last edited by MaggaraMarine : 10-27-2013 at 10:01 AM.
Old 10-27-2013, 10:29 AM   #8
henrihell

No. Never buy a guitar that goes for the price of a decent repair on your current guitar. Get it to a guitar tech so they can see what's wrong, it's either the tone pot, or the pickup or best case scenario, a wire has come loose. A new, better pickup than the one you have will cost you 50-80£. A new pot about 10 and if the wire is loose, nothing. So all of that plus the work will still cost you less than the cheapest possible starter guitar, that you were looking at.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T00DEEPBLUE
What kind of person needs to have a Flying V shoved up their vagina?

Join The 7-String Legion! Now!
henrihell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 10:56 AM   #9
MiKe Hendryckz
MiKe Hendryckz

Talking

Bring your current guitar to a licensed luthier. The guitar itself is probably great after a full setup. Last thing you want to do is start getting GAS like many before you (myself included) I recently made a relationship with my local luthier and instead of selling off guitars and buying more i just bring them to him and the difference is indescribable. It's also 100s of dollars cheaper for the most part. A full setup, fret dress and bridge locking cost me 170$ as opposed to say 500-600 for a moderate guitar that still probably needs a setup anyways!!
MiKe Hendryckz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 08:43 PM   #10
aerosmithfan95
Call me Billy.

It's most likely a bad tone pot, loss wire, or the pickup died. I'd personally take it to a tech and see what he has to say about it.

Besides, buying new pickups for it will be much better than buying a cheap starter guitar. And trust me, your Gothic Explorer is a good guitar. I used to own one and the only reason I sold it a year ago was to put some more money towards a new amp. I would kill to have the same guitar back.

Guitar --> Pedals --> Amplifier
aerosmithfan95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 08:58 PM   #11
dannyalcatraz

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerosmithfan95
And trust me, your Gothic Explorer is a good guitar. I used to own one and the only reason I sold it a year ago was to put some more money towards a new amp. I would kill to have the same guitar back.

So whatever you do, Butterfixx, do not tell him your address and work schedule...

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!
dannyalcatraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 06:57 AM   #12
Butterfixx

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyalcatraz
So whatever you do, Butterfixx, do not tell him your address and work schedule...

I wont .
I also love the explorer, perfect weight and all.
Also, i just thought of something, ive got epiphone SG with a broken headstock, would it be possible to transfer those pickups to the explorer,even thou the SG has 2 volume and 2 tone pots and the explorer only 1 tone?
Old 10-28-2013, 07:49 AM   #13
RJH11
Tone chaser

Yes its possible
RJH11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 08:25 AM   #14
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.

Yeah, that way it's easier to see what causes the problem. If it doesn't work with your SG pickups, then your pickup obviously isn't the problem.

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez Blazer
Digitech RP355
MXR Micro Chorus
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Old 10-28-2013, 10:55 PM   #15
dspellman

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiKe Hendryckz
Bring your current guitar to a licensed luthier. The guitar itself is probably great after a full setup. Last thing you want to do is start getting GAS like many before you (myself included) I recently made a relationship with my local luthier and instead of selling off guitars and buying more i just bring them to him and the difference is indescribable. It's also 100s of dollars cheaper for the most part. A full setup, fret dress and bridge locking cost me 170$ as opposed to say 500-600 for a moderate guitar that still probably needs a setup anyways!!

WTF is a "licensed luthier?" Is that something special that they have in Canada?

Here in Californica, we have luthiers who build guitars from scratch (in the wild and completely unlicensed) and techs (also unlicensed, except for the random guy who actually has a standard business license) who fix them. Better if you have a good tech than if you know a good luthier, honestly.

Other than that bit of teasing, I have to agree with everything in your post -- you generally don't simply run out and buy another guitar because you haven't taken the guitar to a good tech (the magic word here is "good") and had the thing set up properly.

I have every guitar that is new to me give a good (and sometimes rather expensive) initial setup. As I define it, this is not the ragtag restring and cursory lookover (with three -- count 'em -- three full chord strums) that you get from the normal guitar store tech. Your guitar, upon completing this initial setup, should play easily as well as any other guitar, no matter what the original price.
dspellman is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: