User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-12-2014, 08:58 PM   #17661
behind_you
(° ل͜ °)

wrong thread >.>

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡° )*: sʀɪʜ

Last edited by behind_you : 12-12-2014 at 08:59 PM.
behind_you is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 10:57 PM   #17662
crazysam23_Atax
Feuergesicht

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsmileyface
i read that as "non-discarnate GPUs"

You would, you dope.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz_rock_feel
Eh I've been happy with my AMD APU on my other computer and the Intel graphics have done pretty well for me for the last year or so. Not sure why they decided to start acting up all of a sudden.

Well, Intel Graphics integrated chips are like the bitch of the Intel lines. They sell 'em cheap, and they get thrown in workhorse laptops.

Bandcamp

Now working on my upcoming EP "Discarnate". See the expected track list on my bandcamp.

Terry Prachett is funnier than you! Discworld
crazysam23_Atax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 11:23 PM   #17663
jazz_rock_feel
A Joke Ban Broke My Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazysam23_Atax
You would, you dope.

Well, Intel Graphics integrated chips are like the bitch of the Intel lines. They sell 'em cheap, and they get thrown in workhorse laptops.

Intel puts integrated graphics in almost everything except for their really high end... Mine is an i5 2500k (which is no slouch), but even a lot of i7s have graphics.

Soundcloud. Look at it. Or don't.

Last edited by jazz_rock_feel : 12-12-2014 at 11:25 PM.
jazz_rock_feel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 11:57 PM   #17664
crazysam23_Atax
Feuergesicht

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz_rock_feel
Intel puts integrated graphics in almost everything except for their really high end... Mine is an i5 2500k (which is no slouch), but even a lot of i7s have graphics.

Yeah, of course they do. It's their moneymaker. It's also their worst set of GPUs. Seriously, Intel integrated graphics are 1 step short of no graphics, really.

Bandcamp

Now working on my upcoming EP "Discarnate". See the expected track list on my bandcamp.

Terry Prachett is funnier than you! Discworld
crazysam23_Atax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 08:11 PM   #17665
muffinduck01
UG's BBW Lover

So, here's a philosophical question for you guys. If you build a PC, and over time you replace all the parts one by one until all the original parts have been replaced, is it still the same PC?

I'm going to be in that situation soon. I just ordered a new mobo and a 4790K, so now the only original parts I'll have are my case and a 500 GB WD Blue drive. Everything else has been replaced at one point or another.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siv During Livh
To attempt to have intercourse with a hornet's nest is a very bad idea,

Voted UG's worst cross dresser.
Also voted #95 on UG's Top 100 2013. Like it means anything....
muffinduck01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 08:22 PM   #17666
jazz_rock_feel
A Joke Ban Broke My Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by muffinduck01
So, here's a philosophical question for you guys. If you build a PC, and over time you replace all the parts one by one until all the original parts have been replaced, is it still the same PC?

I'm going to be in that situation soon. I just ordered a new mobo and a 4790K, so now the only original parts I'll have are my case and a 500 GB WD Blue drive. Everything else has been replaced at one point or another.

You can replace almost anything and it would be the same, but I think as soon as you replace the mobo it's a different machine. It's like you've changed its soul. Time to rename it.

Soundcloud. Look at it. Or don't.
jazz_rock_feel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 08:24 PM   #17667
OldRocker
Stuck in the 70s

Well, it wouldn't be the same because it's been upgraded.
Roger Linn Adrenalinn III
OldRocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 10:26 PM   #17668
DamienEx1021
PC Police

Quote:
Originally Posted by muffinduck01

Take the scientific route on this one. It is evolution. Your computer continues to add more and more parts to it, bettering itself, and at some point there is little to no resemblance left of the original organism, aka your earlier build. You are evolving your computer. At one point what you had functioned as intended, but eventually you have to adapt or die out. While some computers and hold on for years and years, they will eventually be unable to run any of the programs available. They fail the evolution test because you didn't upgrade.

No your computer is not the same as it was. It changes and becomes something better over time. At one point it could have been the best, but something changed in the environment and you had to adapt to be able to work with it.

I never want my PC to be the same. I want it to keep changing over time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolmnt
PC police strike again
DamienEx1021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 01:25 AM   #17669
Seref
Gob****e

Location: Miami, Florida, United States of America, North American Continent, Earth, Terrestrial Planets, Solar System, Local Cluster, Local Bubble, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Universe, Multiverse, Omniverse, Eternity
My take on it is it's a threshold thing on core components. Change the CPU and nothing else? Nah, it's not a new computer. Change the motherboard, CPU, and GPU? yeah, I'd call that a new PC. The rest of the stuff is comparatively minor and could have just been "recycled" between builds.
Old Yesterday, 11:53 AM   #17670
awp28

Quote:
Originally Posted by awp28
OMG you guys I did it!!! I ended up going with a different GPU (Gigabyte GeForce GT 750, with 2GB of VRAM) and HDD (bitched out at the last second and went Western Digital...virtually identical specs and same price though). Total damage after-sale was around $1011 including Windows 7 Home 64-bit OEM.

Thanks again for your help everyone, especially DamienEx1021!!! I'll be sure to report back once I put together this bad boy...The next week is going to be agonizing between waiting for parts and assembly (I'm paranoid I may be missing a cable or two [power, SATA, etc.] in the mix for some of the components, which will add to my frustration) but I know it will be worth it in the end!

Hello gang! I've been dormant the past 2-3 weeks or so putting this thing together, but the end result was nothing short of astounding!!!

Here is the final components breakdown (only slight deviations from the original list, noted in italics):
HDD: WD 2TB Green 7200RPM 64MB Cache SATA III
RAM: 2x8GB 1866 MHz (G.Skill)
SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 500GB
GPU: Gigabyte NVidia GeForce GTX 750 (2 GB VRAM)
CPU: AMD FX-8350
Case: Cooler Master HAF 912
MoBo: ASUS M5A97 R2.0
PSU: EVGA 1000w Supernova G1 80+G
Heatsink: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
Wireless LAN: ASUS 300 Mbps b/g/n
DVD Burner/Drive: ASUS 24x DVD Burner

I stupidly did the first build attempt in one fell swoop (i.e., in the case), and IT WOULDN'T BOOT (the MoBo wouldn't engage the PSU to power the parts and boot up the unit)!! I totally freaked dafuq out and started second guessing the whole project at that point, thinking I probably would have been better of just buying a pre-assembled PC (this was admittedly my first full-blown build ever!).

I regained my composure and gave it another go the following weekend. I disconnected everything from the MoBo and pulled the MoBo out of the case. I plugged in just the PSU and the CPU fan, and was thankfully able to engage the PSU and boot it up (that was exciting, and also a confidence booster!). I put the MoBo back in the case and plugged in the rest of the parts progressively, checking the bootability at each step. From this assessment, it turned out that the case fans (when plugged into the chassis fan inputs on the MoBo) were the original culprit in preventing the MoBo from booting.

I ended up upgrading my PSU to a 1000w EVGA Supernova G1 80+G...Probably overkill, but I wanted to make sure everything would run smoothly and not potentially become unstable. Cut into my budget a bit, but at this point considering I dropped a stack on the build, I figured skimping on the PSU was not a battle worth fighting (got it at a local retailer for 179 USD with a 40 USD mail-in rebate for a net of 139 USD...not terrible!). It did not resolve the case fans dilemma, however, and as of this writing I have the case fans plugged in directly to the PSU but not to the MoBo, so they're only running at one, non-modulated speed, but the CPU fan is working fine so I'm not worried about it.

Right now I'm rocking an old school flat screen VGA monitor, but one of these months I'll suck it up and get a pimped out HD monitor since I have two HD outputs on my GPU but only one VGA (actually it is a DVI-I...I had to buy a DVI-I to VGA adapter to even be able to see any output :p)

And for the moment of truth...The first boot up!!! I had all the up-to-date drivers all ready to go on a USB flash drive since I was obsessing over this thing well before the parts even arrived. I loaded the OS without issue, and spent about 8 hours straight on a Sunday til around 2 AM loading all the music software and other related goodies onto the computer. Finally, the litmus test: I opened a HUGE session in Pro Tools, representative of a moderate-to-high load with respect to my original desired performance requirements...It ran ABSOLUTELY FLAWLESSLY!! This thing is a f***ing TANK!! I've been a latchkey kid on this computer every day since I finally got it to work. My enthusiasm can't be expressed adequately in writing!

Soooo excited to get back into music stuff now, all there is left for me to do is to set up my spare room as a dedicated home music studio, but now I finally have the brains of the operation in place (so basically my studio monitors, audio interfaces, etc. can come out of hibernation as the expensive paperweights that they've been over the past 2-3 years or so!).

In closing, thank you all soooooo much for your help, this project/process has been an absolute blast, and this build is the tits; hands down the most powerful machine I've owned to date! I feel totally re-inspired to get back to the music grind all thanks to your guys' help.

Special shout out to DamienEx1021, thanks a toooooon buddy; if you're ever in my neck of the woods (Chicago area) let me know I will throw down to get you absolutely sh**faced!

Last edited by awp28 : Yesterday at 12:03 PM.
awp28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:25 PM   #17671
Confuse-a-Cat
The Jackson Guy

Glad to hear it's worked out so well.

Building PCs is just so much darn fun. And you get a great machine out of it at the end!
Confuse-a-Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:42 PM   #17672
The4thHorsemen
Which way's she spinning?

The thing with the case fans is really bizarre, I've never heard of anything like that. Of course, I don't know a whole lot about these kinda of things, I've never built one completely from scratch myself, though I've swapped a few parts. I was curious enough to do a quick google search but I didn't find anything. Maybe one of our resident gurus will have some idea why that would happen.

Last edited by The4thHorsemen : Yesterday at 10:43 PM.
The4thHorsemen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:08 PM   #17673
DamienEx1021
PC Police

I do end up in the Chicago area every few years. Was thinking about heading back there this summer. I will hold you to that getting me shit faced promise.

Glad to hear it worked out.

As for the fans, the only thing I can think of is that there is a short somewhere in the fan or on the motherboard. Which specific pin slot are you sticking it in? I have the mother board manual so you can always refer to page number and all that good stuff.

EDIT: You can always send me a bottle of Jack Daniels in the mail. That would be appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolmnt
PC police strike again

Last edited by DamienEx1021 : Yesterday at 11:14 PM.
DamienEx1021 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: