Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 04-27-2013, 04:21 AM   #1
harmony18

Random black smudges on the white finish of my guitar? Help?

Alright, I'm a little irritated lately, because it seems that every time I pick up my guitar lately, (an ESP Eclipse II), it has a new smudge on the finish.

Maybe that's an exaggeration, but the neck has some sort of gray streaks on the back of the neck, which I'm assuming is from sweat, but they aren't that noticeable, and I do my best to wipe it down when I'm done.

Next near the bottom of the body about 4 inches or so away from the input jack, a random black spot that looks a little faded and smudged is just there. I put it on my lap to see if it touches my leg or anything in that spot while playing, and it doesn't. It sets on it's guitar stand that has black padding on it, but it's been doing that for about 3 years, and it doesn't have a smudge on the other side of the body where it meets at the bottom? So Im a bit confused.

If anyone has ever encountered the same problem with mystery smudges and why they show up, is there a way to get rid of them? And why are they even coming up? Maybe the paint is defected or something? My guitar is only about 3 years old, and that kind of sucks that it's "aging" so noticeably, or at least to me. I'd like to be able to keep my guitar in mint condition. Please, any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
harmony18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 04:36 AM   #2
rander7917

Use some guitar polish brother. I use trick polish because that's what my local shop sells though they all pretty much do the same thing.

It will pull just about everything but the paint off
rander7917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 04:49 AM   #3
harmony18

I tried that and it didn't work. I don't know if it's like a deep stain or what. :/
Old 04-27-2013, 07:50 AM   #4
Mind_Reader7

Don't take this as advice, but I've used "paint cleaner" on cars. Does anyone know if it would work in OP's case?
Old 04-27-2013, 08:25 AM   #5
bucketomeat

I too feel your pain. Fortunately, haven't had this problem. After doing a bonehead move myself....wearing my prize Led Zep brass belt buckle I've had for 30+ years, I wore off some finish on my Gretsch Electromatic. At first, I was horrified I had done such a stupid thing. I've come to realize that it's just a musical instrument meant to be used, not a museum piece.....battle scars resulting from many pleasurable hours spent practicing. Please don't take what I'm saying as a minimization of you concerns.
bucketomeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 08:49 AM   #6
CorrosionMedia
Almost Sane

Would it be from a guitar stand?
My guitars have black marks on them from where they rest on the stands. If they are, warm water should get them off.
CorrosionMedia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 08:58 AM   #7
H4T3BR33D3R
UG's Poison Mist

Does your stand have rubber padding? I've had white guitars with faded black splotches and they were caused by the stand.

But, I did just eat some pizza so I am quite fartsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axelfox
Dude i like rap and stuff. Im a furry and I also have a wolf plush with a hole that i use at times.

Only at times, though.
H4T3BR33D3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 10:03 AM   #8
harmony18

Yeah my stand does have rubber padding, and i cant seem to get the spots off with polish.
Old 04-27-2013, 11:21 AM   #9
Tom 1.0
Hot For Teacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by harmony18
Yeah my stand does have rubber padding, and i cant seem to get the spots off with polish.

Thats your problem.

You probably wont be able to get the marks out.

Maybe get a decent stand, I use Hercules and never had any issues with my Nitro finished guitars.

1977 Burny FLG70
Tom 1.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 05:43 PM   #10
harmony18

Well I just decided to put a tshirt over the rubber pads and a sock where the neck meets the padding up top. Hopefully thatll do the trick. I just didnt think it would do anything because ive been setting it on the stand for years now. I dont understand why it would just NOW leave a mark xD haha
Old 04-27-2013, 06:11 PM   #11
H4T3BR33D3R
UG's Poison Mist

It's probably been there for a while but only became noticeable to you now.

But, I did just eat some pizza so I am quite fartsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axelfox
Dude i like rap and stuff. Im a furry and I also have a wolf plush with a hole that i use at times.

Only at times, though.
H4T3BR33D3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 07:11 PM   #12
Ippon
Amped

Old 04-28-2013, 01:05 AM   #13
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

if you felt comfortable, do some wet-sanding 2000 grit, to 4000 grit and an extremely fine cut rubbing compound, should take it off. i have done it on a few guitars here and there, from a squier to a gibson.

i would try chemicals first, but don't feel comfortable recommending that to you.
MESA TREM-O-VERB
MESA MKIV...

Ibanez Prestiges
Gibsons
and Wolfgangs

WTLT
trashedlostfdup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 03:37 AM   #14
rander7917

Sorry the polish didn't work brother.

I didn't think of stand marks. I really don't know short of a little 4000 grit paper. I suppose I'm lucky I've never had this issue since all my guitars are either black (2 tone sunburst counts since the sides are black) or sit in a case.
rander7917 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: