Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 07-01-2013, 05:13 PM   #1
The Dimery

The G barre chord

I was just curious, how practical is this chord? I'm aware of its uses via the caged system, but I am just curious how many people have his chord in there arsenal? The chord isn't impossible to play for me but I just want to know if its worth plowing regular practise to get this chord down.
Thanks!
Check out my new Hoist That Rag solo tab!
http://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/t/t...lo_ver3_tab.htm
The Dimery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 05:32 PM   #2
Vendetta V
The Creep

I have all the chords in my arsenal (just practice theory and fingering huehuehue)

But G barrr chord is one of the most used chords. You dont only need open position chords. Barre chords are very important!

TL;DR: learn barre chords!

I'm The Creep!

I'm a mixing engineer, hit me up

Please support my music and purchase my NEW ALBUM
My WEBSITE

My YOUTUBE REVIEWS

And Call Me V
Vendetta V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 06:10 PM   #3
The Dimery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vendetta V
I have all the chords in my arsenal (just practice theory and fingering huehuehue)

But G barrr chord is one of the most used chords. You dont only need open position chords. Barre chords are very important!

I know barre chords are important, I use barre chords, im fluent with caged system, I am questioning the practicality of the G barre shape.
Check out my new Hoist That Rag solo tab!
http://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/t/t...lo_ver3_tab.htm
The Dimery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 07:13 PM   #4
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

Quote:

Actually I've never seen someone use the G shape barre chord. I know of it and I know how to play it but I've never seen anyone else use it to my knowledge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven seagull
Zaphod wins...flawless victory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freepower
Another flawless victory for Zaph!

Zaphod_Beeblebr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 08:16 PM   #5
Chorstman

You can use a partial shape of the G barre chord as an inversion of an A major shape barre chord. Hendrix and others do this a lot.
Chorstman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 12:09 AM   #6
Steve BP
Sonic Abuser

The G barre shape is also a quick step from Gmin7 and other lovely chords: it is worth knowing.

Also, sometimes it is nice to use chords in different voicings to better pair with your melody work.
Steve BP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 02:47 PM   #7
robbiekol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chorstman
You can use a partial shape of the G barre chord as an inversion of an A major shape barre chord. Hendrix and others do this a lot.

Exactly...using only the 2,3,4 and 5th strings of this shape has a classic hendrix sound...or using only the 4,5 and 6 has some uses.

I never use the entire chord...awkward to play...awkward to look at.
robbiekol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 03:27 PM   #8
fanapathy
B-Tuned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Actually I've never seen someone use the G shape barre chord. I know of it and I know how to play it but I've never seen anyone else use it to my knowledge.

I think it's pretty awesome assuming you are meaning shapes like say, an A as 542225, as we get that lower 3rd and it sounds good. Have not seen it used much either but really like it.

If they mean the 355433 G here (instead of an open G), like everything it has its usefulness and depends on what they're playing.

Last edited by fanapathy : 07-02-2013 at 03:32 PM.
fanapathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 04:33 PM   #9
Vendetta V
The Creep

Quote:

May be you just haven't seen too many players?

It has a different voicing and different holding position (in terms of the arm, not fret position). On my electric guitar I use G a lot cause I like the sound of 355433 more than the open G when I got a bit of an overdriven tone. I like the root fifth root third rather than root third fifth etc. sounds cleaner with ovedrive

it also makes sense say if you were to go from Am to G to F to E. In that progression, if you were to play Am barre chord then you'd wanna use G barre for two reasons. to keep the voicing the same (also the tone/sound) and also keep the arm at the same position.

another scenario. if you're just shuffling with the chords, or playing with mutes or staccatto notes. Open G is much harder to use for this as opposed to barre chord G.

Some other scenario. if you were to do little bit of sliding on G from half step below. A lot of funky players do that stuff on various chords, so why not use it on G too.

As I said the more tricks you know the less likely you are to stumble obstacles

I'm The Creep!

My WEBSITE

My YOUTUBE REVIEWS

And Call Me V
Old 07-02-2013, 04:49 PM   #10
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

Quote:
*all sorts*

I'm sorry, I'll say it again: the G shape barre. From the CAGED set of chords. Looks like this in A:

Code:
e|-5- b|-2- g|-2- d|-2- a|-4- e|-5-

Do not condescend to think that I have not heard and seen enough guitar players.

I have never seen anyone actually use that chord in full. You could probably view the third chord in Stairway To Heaven as the top part of a C major chord based on that shape but really that's more about voice leading than it is about the exact chord involved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven seagull
Zaphod wins...flawless victory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freepower
Another flawless victory for Zaph!

Zaphod_Beeblebr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 05:16 PM   #11
Vendetta V
The Creep

Quote:
I'm sorry, I'll say it again: the G shape barre. From the CAGED set of chords. Looks like this in A:

Code:
e|-5- b|-2- g|-2- d|-2- a|-4- e|-5-

Do not condescend to think that I have not heard and seen enough guitar players.

I have never seen anyone actually use that chord in full. You could probably view the third chord in Stairway To Heaven as the top part of a C major chord based on that shape but really that's more about voice leading than it is about the exact chord involved.
oooooooooooooooh that changes pretty much everything I said.

I dont use this shape myself to be honest. I could say using the high 4 strings can be useful. 5 too. With the lowest E it could be useful if you were to play a capo song without a capo.

I use a lot of C shape bar chord. like 054232

but yeah again. It was surprising to think of a person not having seen players use a normal G barre chord haha

sorry for the misconfusion

I'm The Creep!

My WEBSITE

My YOUTUBE REVIEWS

And Call Me V

Rate This Thread: