User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 04-17-2013, 12:12 PM   #21
GoodnightHero
Milo

Quote:
Originally Posted by thePTOD
I knew a kid who could play the Crazy Train solo at 14. You know what though? He can't play or write anything else worth crap.

People probably practice the same thing over and over and over and never balance themselves out. Don't compare yourself to everyone else and progress how you feel comfortable. Then you will be able to happier with yourself.

this. i started playing when i was 13. i could play the vast majority of voodoo child before i turned 14. but it wasnt till i was 17 that i realized i couldnt do shit else but play some awkward mixture of songs.

its really not how well you can play stuff. that'll definitely come with time as long as youre still young.
GoodnightHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 03:20 PM   #22
Senor_Homme

... Actually, the "Fade to Black" intro riff is quite simple. I think that you may have a problem with your learning method.

What did give you the hardest time?
The right hand fingering, the left hand picking or the overall feeling of the riff?

Figure it out, focus on it and you'll save time.
A couple of months ago I learned how to play "Drive" by Incubus and at first tries it sounded terrible, but then I practiced separately the chord progression and then the picking pattern (muting the strings with the right hand).. Now it's very very close to the album version
Senor_Homme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 04:26 PM   #23
eddiehimself
Call me EH, eh?

Terrible. Seriously though, I don't know. Ultimately, it's up to you to decide if you're any good or not. If you aren't happy with your playing, maybe practice a bit more and then if you feel like you're in a rut, take a few days out, take your mind off it, and come back refreshed. I do that quite a lot

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
eddiehimself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 04:31 PM   #24
scott john

Don't take it to heart, kid. People bs about what they can play all the time. I highly doubt someone is ripping Hendrix solo's after 6 months of playing. They would certainly have god given talents if they did. It takes me forever to learn a song. I'm sort of lazy and pick up a piece here and then later learn more, but it's all in what you put in. I wouldn't expect someone to be playing Fade to Black after two years. Keep working on it!
Boss BF-2
Hall of Fame Reverb
50 W 5150 III
scott john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 04:54 PM   #25
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott john
Don't take it to heart, kid. People bs about what they can play all the time. I highly doubt someone is ripping Hendrix solo's after 6 months of playing. They would certainly have god given talents if they did. It takes me forever to learn a song. I'm sort of lazy and pick up a piece here and then later learn more, but it's all in what you put in. I wouldn't expect someone to be playing Fade to Black after two years. Keep working on it!

I'm sure beginners can play some Hendrix solos but they will sound awful because beginners' bends and vibratos sound awful. It's not about just playing the notes. You need to play it cleanly and with the right "feel". Whatever a beginner plays, it will always sound terrible. Beginners have a bad sense of rhythm and they might not even notice the mistakes they make and think they are the best guitarists in the world because they can play the main riff of Master of Puppets (sloppily).

And TS, if you only spent 2 hours and can't play it perfectly, that's not strange at all. Learning stuff perfectly takes time. But maybe you should practice slowly the parts you find hard. Increase the tempo when you can play it cleanly. Also, people really learn when they sleep. It might be that tomorrow you'll notice that you can play it in 100% tempo.

And how do you define "learning" something? If you just learn the fingerings and nothing else, it can be done in a couple of hours or even less depending on the song. But that doesn't mean you can play it perfectly. Could you record it? Could you play it live in front of an audience without (bad) mistakes? Does it sound as good as on the record or does it sound like a beginner was playing it? When the answer is "yes" to all of the questions, you have learned the song well enough.

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez Blazer
Digitech RP355
MXR Micro Chorus
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Hartke HyDrive 210c
MaggaraMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 05:57 PM   #26
omnilux

I can learn (or memorize) a song pretty quickly, but when it comes down to playing it cleanly and up to speed, that's what takes me the longest. I've known how to play Seek and Destroy for almost 4 months (it's the only full song I know aside from For Whom The Bell Tolls) and I still can't get that part before the solo up to speed, not cleanly anyway.
omnilux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 08:27 PM   #27
socrfb

It's all about how much time you personally put into it, your learning methods, etc. Also, just something to throw out there, younger people tend to learn things faster.
socrfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:20 AM   #28
Vicious_Turtle
UG Member

think about this as well man, some people are just not good at playing others songs. but you may end up writing great songs yourself. which is really the goal. james hetfield cant shred like steve vai. but considering some of the songs that james hetfield has written. I honestly doubt he gives 2 f***s. its just different things certain people are good at.
Vicious_Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 01:17 PM   #29
Stephenm0ynihan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senor_Homme
What did give you the hardest time?
The right hand fingering, the left hand picking or the overall feeling of the riff?
)

All of the intro is fairly simple, I had the rest of it down in about 2 minutes besides the fastest part (about 30 seconds in), it's playing it cleanly that's giving me trouble. I'd say I just have to work on my co-ordination and I'll be fine.
Stephenm0ynihan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 05:15 PM   #30
aerosmithfan95
Call me Billy.

It doesn't matter how "difficult" something you know is, it matters how "clean" you play something. Look up someone playing Sweet Child of Mine (fully). If they've only been playing for a year, they most likely won't play it as cleanly as someone who has been playing for 3 years.

I'll say it again: The cleanliness of your playing is more important that the difficult of it.

Guitar --> Pedals --> Amplifier
aerosmithfan95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 05:36 PM   #31
Vicious_Turtle
UG Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerosmithfan95
It doesn't matter how "difficult" something you know is, it matters how "clean" you play something. Look up someone playing Sweet Child of Mine (fully). If they've only been playing for a year, they most likely won't play it as cleanly as someone who has been playing for 3 years.

I'll say it again: The cleanliness of your playing is more important that the difficult of it.

I don't think ive ever heard anybody play that song well. whenever somebody has to do any kind of bends. I just,,,,,,(quivers) ughhhhn
Old 04-19-2013, 04:03 PM   #32
aerosmithfan95
Call me Billy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicious_Turtle
I don't think ive ever heard anybody play that song well. whenever somebody has to do any kind of bends. I just,,,,,,(quivers) ughhhhn

Well, I was using it as an example since I was listening to it at the type I was typing the post. I was just trying to make an analogy of how people with more experience with the song (usually) play it better.

And besides, I can agree with you. Unless it's some local band doing it as a cover, most of the people on youtube playing can't do it worth a shit. But then again, they should've practice their bending and vibrato techniques of it.

With any song, once you get it under your fingers and can play it pretty cleanly, then you should work on the "feel" of the song. Even if it's some slow blues from BB King or a fast "shred" tune, there is a particular feel in each of the phrases of the song. Maybe that's why it's hard for people to find a decent cover of Sweet Child? Most of the people can technically play, but they didn't bother learning the "feel" of the song?

I don't know, these are just my thoughts about this, so I'm sorry about the relentless ranting.

Guitar --> Pedals --> Amplifier
aerosmithfan95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 04:22 PM   #33
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerosmithfan95
Well, I was using it as an example since I was listening to it at the type I was typing the post. I was just trying to make an analogy of how people with more experience with the song (usually) play it better.

And besides, I can agree with you. Unless it's some local band doing it as a cover, most of the people on youtube playing can't do it worth a shit. But then again, they should've practice their bending and vibrato techniques of it.

With any song, once you get it under your fingers and can play it pretty cleanly, then you should work on the "feel" of the song. Even if it's some slow blues from BB King or a fast "shred" tune, there is a particular feel in each of the phrases of the song. Maybe that's why it's hard for people to find a decent cover of Sweet Child? Most of the people can technically play, but they didn't bother learning the "feel" of the song?

I don't know, these are just my thoughts about this, so I'm sorry about the relentless ranting.

True. Most beginners just play the notes. It doesn't sound right because they don't add any "feel" to what they play. It might be because their timing isn't perfect or they can't do vibrato. Or maybe they try too hard to play it like a metronome. Sometimes it sounds it has more feel when you play it more freely and add your own bits. They just follow the notes exactly like they were written in the tab book and maybe don't focus on the sound they are producing but just on the notes they are playing.

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez Blazer
Digitech RP355
MXR Micro Chorus
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Hartke HyDrive 210c
MaggaraMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 04:51 PM   #34
fanapathy
B-Tuned

Yes chill, everyone is different - there are always better and worse players than you. Using years/months as some measurement of what skill you're supposed to be at is silly - some practice 5 hours a day every day and others maybe a couple of short sessions a week. What they focus on is different too. Many just practice solos and sometimes every other thread seems to be "Sweep picking blablabla" and it's a beginner who just cares about learning to shred ASAP, to impress his friends or whatever

I'm at about 2 years too and feel I should be better than I am. So whatever, I can play a lot of metal riffs "OK", my Holy Wars still sucks I have to admit.. But overall I've been fairly happy about progress the last year. However...
Yesterday I was playing clean open stuff that I haven't done enough - came across this chord 320031. Fingers didn't know where to go at all, it felt like my first day all over again.

Some days I feel great about my playing, and other days like I suck and can't play anything well.

Best of luck and go more easy on yourself Cheers
fanapathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 05:22 PM   #35
Vicious_Turtle
UG Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanapathy
Yes chill, everyone is different - there are always better and worse players than you. Using years/months as some measurement of what skill you're supposed to be at is silly - some practice 5 hours a day every day and others maybe a couple of short sessions a week. What they focus on is different too. Many just practice solos and sometimes every other thread seems to be "Sweep picking blablabla" and it's a beginner who just cares about learning to shred ASAP, to impress his friends or whatever

I'm at about 2 years too and feel I should be better than I am. So whatever, I can play a lot of metal riffs "OK", my Holy Wars still sucks I have to admit.. But overall I've been fairly happy about progress the last year. However...
Yesterday I was playing clean open stuff that I haven't done enough - came across this chord 320031. Fingers didn't know where to go at all, it felt like my first day all over again.

Some days I feel great about my playing, and other days like I suck and can't play anything well.

Best of luck and go more easy on yourself Cheers

what kind of chord is that? g/f something or orther?
Old 04-24-2013, 09:44 AM   #36
Withorwithout

seems like a G7 to me
Withorwithout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 01:47 PM   #37
rander7917

Dude seriously I've been playing for 13 years and I really don't know anything complicated. Everyone has their strengths. I'm really good with chords, like I know a ton of them. I have a buddy that can shread but only knows basic major chords. Don't worry about it man. Some people are better at some things than others.

Seriously I've been playing 13 years and the hardest solo I can play is Californication
rander7917 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: