Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-14-2012, 08:26 PM   #1
blasian

Which compressor pedal?

Hey everyone. About to buy my first compressor pedal. I just honestly want better sustain... Wanna play some bluesy stuff but I also don't have a lot of money so between the Joyo dyna comp, rogue vintage comp and the boss cs3...Which should I get? Thanks!
blasian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 10:53 PM   #2
loki_lulamen
UG's Sound Guy

the boss one isnt great.

i was looking at the joyo a while back but decided to get an MXR dyna comp off ebay instead. Much better quality compressor for the bit of extra cash. However i ended up with the MXR Super comp, which is pretty much a dyna comp but with an attack control.

as for the rouge, it looks like a re-branded belcat. I have a belcat tremolo and it does the job. never tried the comp tho.

whats your budget, where abouts are you(will help with finding good deals) and are you willing to go used?
Hand built 4x12 w/ V30s
Current board:
TU2=>MXR SUPER COMP=>WHAMMY IV=>TIMMY=>MXR 10 BAND=>NS2=>FX LOOP=>PH3=>DD20

Last edited by loki_lulamen : 11-14-2012 at 10:57 PM.
loki_lulamen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 12:22 AM   #3
souperman08

If you're buying the Boss new, you can get the Visual Sound Comp 66 pedal, which in my opinion is the compressor pedal you can get for the price.
Old 11-15-2012, 12:51 AM   #4
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

the dyna comp really disappointed me. it choked too much out of my tone and also was quite a bit noisier then some of the compressors i have played.

my favorite reasonably priced compresser is the barber tone press, however i am basing that off of clips on line. when i was going to get one a while back but bought something else. but at least at the time it was my favorite.

a lot of compressors are pretty noisy and you may want a noise gate depending on the amp and your settings.

gas list:
Strymon Mobius
Diamond Compressor
Musket Fuzz
and a few guitars
trashedlostfdup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 12:52 AM   #5
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

Quote:
Originally Posted by souperman08
If you're buying the Boss new, you can get the Visual Sound Comp 66 pedal, which in my opinion is the compressor pedal you can get for the price.

i haven't heard the visual sound one, but i know they make a great buffer circuit, that may be the answer itself.

gas list:
Strymon Mobius
Diamond Compressor
Musket Fuzz
and a few guitars
trashedlostfdup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 02:46 AM   #6
souperman08

Quote:
Originally Posted by trashedlostfdup
i haven't heard the visual sound one, but i know they make a great buffer circuit, that may be the answer itself.

After trying out a ton of different comps looking for the sound I had in my head, that pedal nailed it on all fronts. You can use it for over the top country squashed tone, you can use it as a "practical" compressor, and everything in between. It's also one of the most durable pedals I've ever used or even seen, I believe the footswitches are rated for 10 million stomps? Crazy good stuff, I only sold it to get the Route 66 (which has the same comp on one side, and a decent Tubescreamer circuit on the other side).
Old 11-15-2012, 02:56 AM   #7
blasian

Um my budget is about 60 and under. Ive seen a few MXR dyna comps for that price...But I dont want anything to choke or kill my volume or sound.And I will totally go used. I have no problem with used gear. I just need something to get me started.
blasian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 03:27 AM   #8
wowlace

I'm gonna buy a love squeeze soon, sounds good on YouTube. Only two knobs = win. Pricey though.
wowlace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 03:51 AM   #9
ragingkitty
meow?

VFE White Horse

Good price, lots of bells and whistles!

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
ragingkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 04:24 AM   #10
NakedInTheRain
Registered Muser

with pedal compression comes noise and compression artifacts. turn your amp's volume up to get awesome sustain.

UG's Best Small Pedalboard 2013
NakedInTheRain is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: