Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 05-11-2013, 10:17 AM   #21
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech

Burn it all and start again.
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
Cathbard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 10:17 AM   #22
JackovSlayer
Registered Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathByDestroyr
BC RICH IS COOL!

Because of what?
Old 05-11-2013, 10:55 AM   #23
ikey_

well, if you have tools and are handy, i say make a pedalboard fo free and add a 1 spot...spend the money you saved on better pedals.

yes. hate to bash, but almost anything is better than onboard tones from that amp. i see an amp upgrade in your future, it is enivitable just accept it. timeline, 6 months. start saving now.

do not buy behringer pedals. i repeat DO NOT buy behringer pedals. EVER. erase it from this thread.

...if you need cheaper than boss...trying buying used boss.

i would say do you really need the noise gate and a compressor? i think an EQ pedal would work better in combination with the distortion pedal you are about to buy. definitely. will make any pedal sound heavier, or just better.
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Accountant Comp, GFS tuner, CMAT Signa Drive, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb)
ikey_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 11:55 AM   #24
JackovSlayer
Registered Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikey_
well, if you have tools and are handy, i say make a pedalboard fo free and add a 1 spot...spend the money you saved on better pedals.

yes. hate to bash, but almost anything is better than onboard tones from that amp. i see an amp upgrade in your future, it is enivitable just accept it. timeline, 6 months. start saving now.

do not buy behringer pedals. i repeat DO NOT buy behringer pedals. EVER. erase it from this thread.

...if you need cheaper than boss...trying buying used boss.

i would say do you really need the noise gate and a compressor? i think an EQ pedal would work better in combination with the distortion pedal you are about to buy. definitely. will make any pedal sound heavier, or just better.

I agree with everything you've said there.
Old 05-11-2013, 02:46 PM   #25
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

considering you're in europe, just get a jet city jca50H on thomann. then get the harley benton g212 vintage cabinet. and a speaker cable. that'll come to about 400 or so, if that's ok. but it's a lot cheaper than faffing about with expensive pedals which probably won't do what you want. if you want a boost too (which rarely hurts, it gives you more options if nothing else), just pick up a harley benton vintage overdrive (tubescreamer clone) or digitech bad monkey (glorified tubescreamer) or screamin blues (glorified bd2) on thomann, they're all around 25.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
Blackstar can blow me; dodgey ****ers.

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 02:16 AM   #26
AJ6stringsting
UG Newbie

If you want a great sound, put the pedals in this order : Compressor, Distortion / Overdrive, Wah wah (option), a 6 band eq or more, Noise Gate, modulation ( Flanger, Chorus, Phaser), Delay/ Echo, reverb, and a sonic Maximizer pedal ( for better definition of treble, mids , bass frequencies and define the effects better)
I use a VHT Valvulator II to lower my impedance in my signal, to not lose definition and to clean up the power going to my pedals to kill hiss or hum.
And if your amp has an effects loop use another sonic maximizer and a noise gate set so it won't kill your signal too soon.

Last edited by AJ6stringsting : 05-12-2013 at 02:18 AM.
AJ6stringsting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 02:19 AM   #27
darkwolf291
Hookers and Blow

TRUST me.

Save up and buy a Suhr Riot.
Best distortion pedal ever
darkwolf291 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 02:26 AM   #28
greeny23
Mechromancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkwolf291
TRUST me.

Save up and buy a Suhr Riot.
Best distortion pedal ever

Openhaus.

Checkmate.

Cheap Stuff!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrock05
would a pedalboard make my rc20xl loop station sound better? the playback on this thing sucks with batteries and the power supply.
greeny23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 04:35 AM   #29
AngryIndianDude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
considering you're in europe, just get a jet city jca50H on thomann. then get the harley benton g212 vintage cabinet. and a speaker cable. that'll come to about 400 or so, if that's ok. but it's a lot cheaper than faffing about with expensive pedals which probably won't do what you want. if you want a boost too (which rarely hurts, it gives you more options if nothing else), just pick up a harley benton vintage overdrive (tubescreamer clone) or digitech bad monkey (glorified tubescreamer) or screamin blues (glorified bd2) on thomann, they're all around 25.

Is the jet city any good for metal though? A bit skeptical about it atm!
AngryIndianDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 08:38 AM   #30
JackovSlayer
Registered Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ6stringsting
If you want a great sound, put the pedals in this order : Compressor, Distortion / Overdrive, Wah wah (option), a 6 band eq or more, Noise Gate, modulation ( Flanger, Chorus, Phaser), Delay/ Echo, reverb, and a sonic Maximizer pedal ( for better definition of treble, mids , bass frequencies and define the effects better)
I use a VHT Valvulator II to lower my impedance in my signal, to not lose definition and to clean up the power going to my pedals to kill hiss or hum.
And if your amp has an effects loop use another sonic maximizer and a noise gate set so it won't kill your signal too soon.

He doesn't need at least half of what you said there. And pedals shouldn't be put in that order.
Old 05-12-2013, 02:31 PM   #31
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryIndianDude
Is the jet city any good for metal though? A bit skeptical about it atm!

it's a cheaper soldano, what do you think? it's killer for metal (the type of metal i play, anyway, 80s metal and the like).

EDIT: it's also kinda bemusing how you're sceptical about the jet city for metal but were considering a boss metalcore pedal

Quote:

Old 05-15-2013, 04:05 AM   #32
AngryIndianDude

Upto

Quote:
it's a cheaper soldano, what do you think? it's killer for metal (the type of metal i play, anyway, 80s metal and the like).

EDIT: it's also kinda bemusing how you're sceptical about the jet city for metal but were considering a boss metalcore pedal

It shows how much of a massive noob I am Been playing combos with no pedals or anything, so that's why I'm here
+ Being a kid doesn't help.
AngryIndianDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 06:19 AM   #33
GaryBillington
Grumpier than normal.

Quote:

Been considering the JCA22H & the JCA50H myself recently - I'm mostly 80s rock/metal too, but I noticed they've only got crunch & overdrive channels so I'm sceptical about what they'd be like for cleans (especially at gigging volume).

Any comments?
Laney VC30 210 + GS112VE cab
Jet City JCA22H

Last edited by GaryBillington : 05-15-2013 at 09:26 AM.
GaryBillington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 01:55 PM   #34
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

^ i don't gig

cleans are alrightish at low volumes, but yeah i'm guessing not much headroom there. it's killer for 80s rock and metasl, though, and does clean up pretty well with the guitar volume knob.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryIndianDude
It shows how much of a massive noob I am Been playing combos with no pedals or anything, so that's why I'm here
+ Being a kid doesn't help.

no worries, i'm still a noob in most respects

Quote:

Old 05-15-2013, 03:12 PM   #35
GaryBillington
Grumpier than normal.

Quote:
^ i don't gig

cleans are alrightish at low volumes, but yeah i'm guessing not much headroom there. it's killer for 80s rock and metasl, though, and does clean up pretty well with the guitar volume knob.

No worries

Got a couple of things like that I wanna about a couple of amps I'm thinking about, that's one of the favourites though so I thought I'd hijack this thread while the conversation was relevant - may start a thread of my own sometime. I'm guessing the 50w version would probably be the better option for keeping it clean - I can understand that a 20 watt amp would start breaking up earlier, but you'd imagine a 50 watter would be able to stay clean and still beat a drum kit.
Laney VC30 210 + GS112VE cab
Jet City JCA22H
GaryBillington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 03:36 PM   #36
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

yeah you'd assume so, but i've only tried the 50, so Also, as you said, it's not really a clean channel, more a crunch channel, so too much preamp gain is (I assume) causing the headroom problem as much as too little wattage...

Quote:

Rate This Thread: