Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk > Bandleading
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-23-2013, 07:43 AM   #21
TomMon
Sick of Smiths covers

Is this the same guitarist from your other thread? If so, the problem might well be that he views himself as bandleader (as you said in the other thread?). Lots of bands have that one person, usually a singer or guitarist but can be anyone, who thinks they pull the most weight. They also critically think that they do no wrong, for example, this guitarist ignored everyone when s*** hit the fan? That's instant disqualification from being top dog, the leader(s) are the ones who sort that stuff out, not run from it.

What he needs is to see a firm show of objection by the group. If the recordings aren't good enough and the others agree, bring up discussing other recording options, and when he says what happened to mine, make it clear the rest of you aren't happy. Make it positive, you've tried it this way and it was fun but it's not working, so we need to do it differently for the better. If he won't take advice and do it properly that's his call, it's his house and software. But the band won't be endorsing it and will be going elsewhere. If he quits here, you've saved yourself from a timebomb. If he agrees to do the demos better or go elsewhere, you've got him in line as an equal member, he's swallowed his ego and hopefully the problem ends here.

It is NEVER ok for one person to hoard control over mixing or anything at all, it will continue it will make him think he's boss and he will quit/try to kick you out if you ever challenge him after letting him get away with it. Same with the drummer from your other thread and his lateness. I tell my singer off every single time she's late etc., stops her thinking she's untouchable. And the band do it to me when I mess up, it's all positively framed, equal and it demonstrates we're all in charge. It's about mutual respect, it's not the easiest thing to do but everyone in the band deserves respect and if a member violates this, they need to be told it's not on. It sounds businesslike but it's really not, for me it's built a real democracy and everyone feels valued and contributes far more than when we had a dictator, and its far more fun.

Rate This Thread: