Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-02-2013, 09:48 PM   #1
DaFjory
In Lane we trust

Does this pattern have a name?

Whilst messing around with symmetrical patterns such as whole tone (which I love), I noticed that W-H-H on a single string, if shifted up by a semitone on the next string, stays symmetrical within its octave...

Code:
|----------------------------------10-12-13-| |--------------------------9-11-12----------| |-------------------7-9-10------------------| |-------------6-8-9-------------------------| |-------5-7-8-------------------------------| |-4-6-7-------------------------------------|

... but does it have a name, as in scale-wise? To my ears it's got some kinda harmonic minor thing going on (because of the W+H between iii and iv), but my theory is shit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slicer666
he sucks on the remnants of Lane's testicles

Let some LIGHTS into your life!

Now read about her!

Last edited by DaFjory : 01-02-2013 at 09:52 PM.
DaFjory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:58 PM   #2
KG6_Steven
Serving Knowledge

Looks like an ostinato to me.

As far as a scale name for this? I'm unaware of any, due to the step and a half jump between one string to the next.

Edit: Just looked through one of my scale books. While it does list some scales with WH and WW interval jumps, I did not find any that matched the one you put up. Maybe someone else can identify it.

Last edited by KG6_Steven : 01-02-2013 at 10:04 PM.
KG6_Steven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:22 PM   #3
DaFjory
In Lane we trust

Hmm, ostinato... I've heard that term before. Something about repeating motifs. I'm starting to like this pattern more and more, since its first mode is also symmetrical and has a phrygian dominant(?) flavour to it:

Code:
|---------------------------------------12-13-16-| |------------------------------11-12-15----------| |----------------------9-10-13-------------------| |---------------8-9-12---------------------------| |--------7-8-11----------------------------------| |-6-7-10-----------------------------------------|

Haven't tried its other modes yet, but otherwise I just love symmetrical fingerings due to their 'off' sound. Nothing more fun than noodling around 3nps whole tone scales right across the neck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slicer666
he sucks on the remnants of Lane's testicles

Let some LIGHTS into your life!

Now read about her!
DaFjory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:27 PM   #4
griffRG7321
Forever Bulking

Diminished 7th arpeggio with some passing notes thrown in.

Barbeesha Latoya Jackson: "Awh hell naw mutha fuka, u wanna learn da art of composition all up in here?
griffRG7321 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: